Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Hard Start When Cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 01:01 PM
ahenthus
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hard Start When Cold

The last three times I've tried to cold start my 87 911 it has involved a long cranking process. It will trip for a second then die immediately. When it does start it will stumble for a few seconds before settling into a fast idle of around 11-1150. During the drive sometimes the idle will stay up around 1100 and other times it will idle around 800. Most of the time it will start normally after sitting during a meal. The ignition control unit and coil was changed a few months ago and that cured a tendency to die and stay off for at least 45 minutes to an hour. After a few months of blissful, no worries driving this starting problem has arisen. It has eventually started each of the last cold starts but has taken a few minutes of cranking and false starts to get it going. Another relatively minor problem the last few drives has been a noise in third gear mostly where when going around 30-35mph it has sounded like the old bicycle trick of using a clothespin to attach a playing card to a fender stay when you were ten years old. The drumming is very muted and mostly noted in third but occasionally in second. Any thoughts on these two problems?
Old 03-30-2024, 05:54 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ahenthus
The last three times I've tried to cold start my 87 911 it has involved a long cranking process. It will trip for a second then die immediately. When it does start it will stumble for a few seconds before settling into a fast idle of around 11-1150. During the drive sometimes the idle will stay up around 1100 and other times it will idle around 800. Most of the time it will start normally after sitting during a meal. The ignition control unit and coil was changed a few months ago and that cured a tendency to die and stay off for at least 45 minutes to an hour. After a few months of blissful, no worries driving this starting problem has arisen. It has eventually started each of the last cold starts but has taken a few minutes of cranking and false starts to get it going. Another relatively minor problem the last few drives has been a noise in third gear mostly where when going around 30-35mph it has sounded like the old bicycle trick of using a clothespin to attach a playing card to a fender stay when you were ten years old. The drumming is very muted and mostly noted in third but occasionally in second. Any thoughts on these two problems?
Maybe the replaced control unit has problems too. Determine the source and warranty of the replaced parts.
http://www.systemsc.com/

Quick Reply: Hard Start When Cold