bott63
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

" "
Old 10-03-2005, 01:44 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since we're trading rants, I'll chime in. My worst happened in my '59 Mercedes 190sl.

I had just parked and was about 15 feet from the car when an old, rusty Pontiac drove up and this guy says, "You took my space!" I had to look around to be sure this nut was was really talking to me, and then agreebly nodded that it was a crowded lot, but that he had not even been in site when I parked. He simply retorted "You just wait and see what I do to your car while you're inside!"

Shocked, I walked away instead of trying to reason with a nut case. Sure enough, when I returned he had keyed a big smiley face on the driver's side of my car! I searched the parking lot to find his license plate number, but didn't, and soon realized that I didn't even have a witness. There was no way to recoup from somebody like that. I had the car repainted.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:28 PM
OneNineElevenGuy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had someone put a really small crease in my right rear fender at a parking lot. I even parked way, way in the outskirts. Hell I have even had people hock a loogie at the car. Just plain ignorant if you ask me.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:58 AM
bott63
Intermediate

this isn't really where this thread should be going.....
It's more about mechanical issues - - specifically difficult to diagnose
rough running problems with Carrera's.....
Old 10-05-2005, 05:27 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

This has been a really good thread and when we get to the end of it we will all be wiser. But a few possibly relevant points.

on most OBD systems the Oxygen sensor is not even looked at by the DME until the car warms up. The cat needs to be hot to be functional so it is not until after the first five minutes the oxygen sensor starts "trimming" the fuel input, so MIGHT explain why it is not happening cold.
Also most problems under" load" are attributed to electrical issue believe it or not. Given the fact you see black smoke you have lots of unburned fuel that is igniting it is like you are not getting consistent ignition. I think the coil theory is a good one and a relatively cheap part. too bad no one on the list lives close by to swap a couple of bits.
I am not sure what the HTS does or how it works but murphies law says if it is not the most expensive part, it will be the one most difficult to get to. ( ensuring you break something else getting to it .

Good luck
Old 10-05-2005, 06:28 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Exactly right on the open loop / closed loop at startup, though I'm not sure with regards to the 911. On the 89-95 Taurus SHO, it's approx. 70 seconds into running it moves into closed-loop, providing the sensors are working properly, otherwise it stays in "limp-home" mode.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:15 PM
My87Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LaughaC
Since we're trading rants, I'll chime in. My worst happened in my '59 Mercedes 190sl.

I had just parked and was about 15 feet from the car when an old, rusty Pontiac drove up and this guy says, "You took my space!" I had to look around to be sure this nut was was really talking to me, and then agreebly nodded that it was a crowded lot, but that he had not even been in site when I parked. He simply retorted "You just wait and see what I do to your car while you're inside!"

Shocked, I walked away instead of trying to reason with a nut case. Sure enough, when I returned he had keyed a big smiley face on the driver's side of my car! I searched the parking lot to find his license plate number, but didn't, and soon realized that I didn't even have a witness. There was no way to recoup from somebody like that. I had the car repainted.
id always write down the tag number befor i go inside.

as for my mishap, someone tried to break in my car one night at towsen, they couldnt kick my window in due to the light mist of rin water on my car and their muddy feet, so they kicked my door in. ill be getting that fixed soon i hope.

as for mechanical issues, well the way i see it is if i ever feel like i dont know what to do with my money come pay day, i can count on my car needing something. LOL
Old 10-06-2005, 10:00 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

I totally agree ... on my 944 whenever i managed to save 1000.00 something broke on my car. That was very frustrating since everything semed to be in multiples of thousands...grrr..

oh well.

Quick Reply: Venting 911 Frustrations...