Really Annoying Rear Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 06:39 PM
texasgooner
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Really Annoying Rear Rattle

Hi everyone,

I've had this now for over a year, and its not going and seems ever present. I have a rattle/knocking somewhere I *think* it is outside the car at the back.

I can't see anything lose underneath. I can't see anything lose in the engine bay. Most of the time its silent anless I go over cobbled roads (in Holland) and rough surfaces (ie most of the time).

I know the back seats were out for the alarm installtion at some point, and the valves were adjusted and I'm wondering if they had to move the exhaust to do this, either way maybe somethings not back tight.

Can anyone please give me some pointers? There is what looks like a suspension bar going across the bottem of the car very close to other metal but I don't think that it moving enough. I can also slightly hear the rattle if I jerk the car by dropping the clutch in reverse to make the car jolt a bit.

Thanks,
Justin
Old 08-10-2005, 07:01 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

What year is the car? That bar is your sway bar, I assume. The sway bar mounts are very prone to breaking/cracking which requires new stronger ones to be welded in. Have them inspected.

Ian
Old 08-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ian is right on the money. The most common complaint is that the noise occurs entering or leaving driveways or parking lots. I'm sure that if you put the car on a lift you will immediately see that one of your rear sway bar consoles is broken.
Pete
Old 08-11-2005, 04:57 AM
texasgooner
Instructor

Thanks for all your help...

My car is 1989 3.2 911. Actually last year I originally told the workshop there was a small metal to metal rattle somewhere at the back too. They told me they'd fixed it, they also said that 'swaybar' had at some point been taken off and replaced, but the wrong way up!?? They put it back the way they said it should be and now I have this annoying knocking noise. Plus I still have the original metallic tap coming from the back too. I am guessing they were referring to the 'swaybar'. I can't 100% remember...

I will get it inspected.

Thanks

Last edited by texasgooner; 08-11-2005 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:44 AM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar problem in my '76. I sounds like a panel rattling and I can;t find it for the life of me. Does not sound metalic, but duller. Driving me nutz. Having interior out for new carpet changed nothing. Any ideas appreciated here too.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:40 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

FYI, the grille in my engine hood is slightly loose on my 84 (noticeable only when I wash it). Just a thought, in case it's higher up.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:02 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the nut(s) on your shocks at the top are tight. I had an annoying rattle/klunk and found the left shock nut wasn't tight. They are a little hard to get to, but by removing the heater blower motor and the air filter housing on my 88 Carrera, I found my rattle. It's always possible.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:45 PM
Hladun1
Instructor

I had a rattle on my 78SC that turned out to be the muffler hitting the rear bumper support channel. The muffler was installed too far to the right (oil tank side) and particularly under acceleration and/or engine load it would just hit the channel.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:35 PM
jdeuel
Track Day

Just checked my l/r swaybar mount, and it's busted clean off. Had the 'driveway clunk' Peter referenced. Is there a 'kit' for this, or can someone advise what parts I need to buy? Thanks...
Old 09-14-2005, 06:47 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Improved reinforced mounts are available from Porsche, but they must be welded. #911-501-983-00

see Pelican Parts

I think Wevo or somebody has just come out with a good aftermarket one too that I read about on Pelican.

Ian
Old 09-16-2005, 06:27 PM
sarge
AutoX

Justin, also check the rear rotor shrouds, somtimes a retaining bolt will fall out and the sheet metal will rattle from time to time against the rotor.

Good Luck,
Doug
Old 09-16-2005, 08:03 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm beginning to wonder if the drain tube in the roof (for the sunroof) can come loose at one end and rattle? It is that kind of sound, to high for a suspension noise. no leaks or other sympons though.

Quick Reply: Really Annoying Rear Rattle