Apology from a 928er

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 11:46 AM
Mark
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apology from a 928er

Well - the whole Total911 thing REALLY got out of hand. But - being the 'red-headed step children' of the teutonic community, we sharksters are sometimes too quick to get the panties in a wad.....ME INCLUDED. It's too bad there was a misinterpretation in the translation from the Queen's English to the yankee version.

For that, I offer my personal apology.

We are ALL 'family' here, and I trust that we can put this all behind us and kiss and make up.

As I stated in one of my posts in the mess - I DO like 911's, and intend to add one to my 'stable' some day. Most of my closest PCA buds drive those cars with the engine hanging out back - and I truly enjoy riding & competing with them. I love ALL P-cars.Yep guys, even the 912 & 914!!! Of course, my FAVORITE 4-bangers are the 356's and the 904(!!!) owned by a local collector (drool.drool.drool)

The ironic thing....I myself often joke about the BIG/FAT 928 with them. In fact, at our PCA DE's and AX's - my shark is affectionately referred to as "Orca" and I even have a stuffed whale toy that proudly adorns my roof in between runs!
Nonetheless - 'Orca' is consistently among the top times at our AX's (even been THE fastest a couple of times - when we had a nice longer course!), and she SELDOM gets the passing flag at a DE!

So - Panties no longer in a wad! IN FACT - I just STARCHED them to prevent it from happening too quickly!

Cheers my brothers!
Old 08-26-2005, 03:49 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And right back at you. We all know that the ideal Porsche garage would have one of each . . . hmm . . . that's a lot of cars . . . but it would be fun.

Let's hope the mag will come back as a sponsor. The site needs them. Anything we can do to help John D.????

Ian
Old 08-26-2005, 08:14 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am prompted to join Mark in wishing that we all, as P car owners and drivers, could avoid such squabbles. I have owned 3 911s among other P cars, and liked them all. I happen to have a 928 because I had knee surgery and was advised not to resume driving a stick shift; that left only so many options. Now that I have a 928 I love it, though I bad mouthed them prior to owning one. You guys are going to continue loving your 911s and we will continue to love are 928s and it won't make any difference so why squabble over which one is best? We will drive the one we prefer, and I don't care if a 911 gets you off. Who am I to decide for you what's right for you ? As P car owners we should all hope the whole game stays together. Mark took some of the words out of my mouth. Personally I find a devastating redhead attractive, but hey, if blondes float your boat, then get a blonde.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:17 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron_H
You guys are going to continue loving your 911s and we will continue to love are 928s...
And I'll continue to love both!
Old 08-26-2005, 11:38 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

No problemo -- to me it's a "fun squabble"

The 928 is a great GT car.

ALso, strawberry blondes can be quite nice...
Old 08-26-2005, 11:51 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm......now that I think about it, I've known some nice brunettes also.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:31 PM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree i have the full range of Porsches, air and water cooled, even both air and water cooled 911's and they all kick *** period... it doesn't matter...
Old 08-28-2005, 10:01 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,042 Likes on 742 Posts

Interesting comments.. I never saw the original thread but wanted to give my .02c. About 8 years ago I bought my fist Porsche, a 944 and was new to the rennlist sight. I eagerly signed up and used the sight for some good info. after about 6 months I signed off for .. gee about 8 years due to serious mud slinging and petty arguements about cars and models and my " audi " vs a real porsche. I was so proud of my car and was dejected to be shunned by the people on THIS SIGHT . Of course there were many other water pumpers so all the good info and comradery was lost in immature petty fighting. I was totally disgusted. but that was the past.
I now own a 911 and was expecting more of the same when I resigned up last month. It was quite refreshing to see the previous posts here and although we are all passionate about our cars, it is obvious we have matured as a group, can have some fun ribbing with each other and can ultimately respect the owners of such fine automobiles, ones that carry the name PORSCHE...

Cheers guys !
Old 08-28-2005, 11:21 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
It was quite refreshing to see the previous posts here and although we are all passionate about our cars, it is obvious we have matured as a group, can have some fun ribbing with each other and can ultimately respect the owners of such fine automobiles, ones that carry the name PORSCHE...
Ummm....the reason this thread is here is because of the immature, petty bickering that occurred in the previous threads. Trust me, what you experienced 8 years ago has not gone away. Go find those threads to see what I mean. BTW, it's site, not sight.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:39 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,042 Likes on 742 Posts

No point in looking backwards ! Cars are easier to drive when looking ahead :-)
Old 08-28-2005, 11:56 AM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by theiceman
No point in looking backwards ! Cars are easier to drive when looking ahead :-)
excellent reply ice
Old 08-30-2005, 12:45 PM
avainio
Addict
Rennlist Member

I drive my 911 and my 951 for different reasons and love to drive both of them. Both have nothing but strong points, there isn't anything I don't like about either of them. Rennlist is a great resource, I've done so much to both cars based on the advice I have found here. I NEVER would have tackled my timing belts without Rennlist (and Clark's Garage). It's a much better site when everyone can overlook their differences. I almost bought a 928 before I found my 951, but the interior was burned out from the Florida sun. It was a FUN car to drive.
Arne.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:38 PM
Oldtee
Pro

As the proud owner of both a 911SC and a 928S I feel qualified to state: "they are both great cars and each has strengths. No weaknessess." There are things I like about both but there is one thing in common, they are NOT Rolls Royces and they are NOT Fords. I like the 928 for the road and long trips (damn thing gets 20 mpg @ 80mph) and the 911 around town but away from freeway grid lock. But, there are times when I want to put a contract out on the engineers of both cars, most specifically the electrical engineers who selected the parts for the 928. There is no reason why switches , flakey relays, unprotected grounds, etc and speedometers should fail on 20 year old cars. Or 911 engine designers who think it is OK to require valves to be adjusted every 5,000 or so miles and the labor to do so is insignificent, mine or a mechanics. Lawd help the Turbo boys.

Quick Reply: Apology from a 928er