Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Heater lever - cable snapped (drivers side)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 03:25 PM
Saakey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater lever - cable snapped (drivers side)

On my ’80 SC – you know the one, the little red lever by the emergency brake lever…well my drivers side cable snapped. How much fun am I in for? Has anyone done this repair/replacement themselves – and are there any tricks and making this an easier job? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. Jason
Old 11-12-2005, 07:06 AM
afinepoint
Racer

Jason,

I replaced the passenger side. Here's a few tips.

1. Remove the seat(s) as necessary. When disassembling the control lever keep track of the pieces - their orientation and order. On mine one bolt holds together both driver and passenger levers and parts. Take care to prevent the bolt from backing completely out.

2. Be gentle as some of the washers/spacers on mine were not that tough.

3. While in there clean the parking brake electrical contacts.

4. Clean the cable path as best you can. I found I had to insert and remove the cable a few times. This can draw dirt, grime etc up inside the tube. Lightly lubricate the cable. The inserting and removing had to do with the cable wanting to take its own path under the car. Just get a good bead on the entry path inside the car. I found it ease to miss.

5. Porsche has the most frustrating connector that grabs the cable end at the engine. Vise grips, needle nose pliers, wrenches and lots of patience were required.

6. Make sure things are the way you want before putting a bend in the cable end. It's a pain to undo. Heed the saying "measure twice - cut once".

7. Check the dampers for freedom of movement and that the springs are in good shape.

Good luck.

Reg
Old 11-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Jason: Spray the cable connection point under the car (at the heater control box) with penetrating oil. If it's in good condition once should be enough. It's a clever little stud/bolt with a hole in its shaft. The end of the cable slides through that hole, and is trapped by two small flat washers when the nut is tightened. After you have the cable loose pull off the bowden tube that it slides through and remove the bowden tube from the firewall. Be sure to order a new tube, you always want to replace it with the cable and it comes as a separate part. Now, let the cable hang loose under the car (wipe it clean), go inside the car and remove the three handbrake assembly bolts (that secure the assembly to the floor). FYI: Porsche used to make the carpet at the handbrake so that you could unsnap it and lift it away. On your car it's probably one piece, and it will get in the way. It might help you to remove the passenger side seat. Lift the assembly, locate the cable, and pull it out. If you need more room disconnect (under the car) the heater cable that is not broken. Before you slide the new cable in be sure the new bowden (guide) tube is installed under the car. The cable will follow it right to the control box. Slip the cable end through the little hole, sandwich it with the washers, and snug it down (do this after you return your handbrake assembly to its correct position). Your preliminary adjustment should be made with the lever off (down), and the openings on the control box should be in their most open position. Do not bend over the end of the cable after final tightening, leave it as a straight through. DO NOT cut away any excess until you're positive that your adjustment is correct and the system is working properly. It's been more than ten years since I've done one of these, but I don't think that I forgot anything! If you run into a snag write again.
Pete
Old 11-12-2005, 06:37 PM
afinepoint
Racer

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
It's a clever little stud/bolt with a hole in its shaft.
Pete
If we are talking about the end opposite the control lever I came up with a few names for it while under the car but clever wasn't among them.

Reg
Old 11-14-2005, 11:45 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL! If you don't have a pair of those super-nice, small SnapOn wrenches, and really good lighting, working with that part (at the control box under the car) can certainly be a bit of a challenge!
Pete
Old 11-14-2005, 07:27 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I'd just push it closed and worry about the cable next summer...

Quick Reply: Heater lever - cable snapped (drivers side)