Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Tach,trip meter, odometer and cruise control not working!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Dr.Chris
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tach,trip meter, odometer and cruise control not working!

Just took the 88 turbo look cab out for a quick spin and noticed for the first time that the SPEEDOMETER, TRIP METER,ODOMETER AND CRUISE CONTROL all stopped working at once. I can get to the 2 sensor wires in the tranny tunnel but I don't know what to look for on the multi meter while driving slowly. Also I have taken the speedo out of the dash ( it is electric not cable driven) But I don't know the proper way or even if it is possible to test it with the multimeter. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by Dr.Chris; 01-11-2007 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Something not correct
Old 03-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Since no one else is answering,--your location suggests possible corrosion of a common point. Suggest you relook the ground and power sources for those things. One of the worst things we can do to these cars is to not drive them.

dan
Old 03-16-2006, 01:46 PM
rentadate
Instructor

I have almost the same problem...not that it really affects the driveability. The clock suddenly stopped working and have no idea where to begin with it. I guess with what edgy01 said I could check the grounding wire to see if it is actually making contact.

My problem is the tach works when the headlights are off, but when they are on the tach drops to 0 and moves very slightly, and I know there is an electrical connection somewhere. It also doesn't light up. But as soon as I turn the dashboard lights to off but the head lights are on, the tach suddenly starts working. I'm thinking a cross connection somewhere between the light in the tach and the sending wire.

Any one else have this problem as well?
Old 03-26-2006, 11:07 PM
sgschroeder
Addict
Rennlist Member

The cruise control is dependent on the speedo signal for operation. You have either a bad speedo sender (common G50 problem) or your speedo needs to be rebuilt. Or the connection for the speedo at the trans. shift linkage access point in the rear of the trans tunnel is kaput. You should be able to get a frequency (Hz) reading from it.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:42 PM
Dr.Chris
Advanced

I took my speedo out and unhooked and rehooked every wire including the illumination lights. Then I opened the plate over the tunnel in front of the back seat and checked the speedo sender from the tranmission while driving the car slowly and I got it the register on a volt meter so I reconnected its green and brown wire back to original BUT still can't get the speedo to work I am going nuts!!! Any other suggestions will most certainly help . Thanks

Quick Reply: Tach,trip meter, odometer and cruise control not working!