Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Alternator fan belt nut froze

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 07:28 AM
redidrum
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Alternator fan belt nut froze

First timer job ... Well, I got the rotary comp. belt off and the old fan belt off. The stinking 24 mm nut on the Alternator Fan is froze. I was told I could use some screw drivers to hold the pulley holes, but, that was going to tear up the holes. I tried an allen wrench in the center hole and attempted to loosen the nut with my neighbor holding the allen wrench with vise grips. Don't want to round out the nut. Way too tight. That is the same as using a spanner wrench isn't it?

I'm too cheap to pay pelican $35 for a spanner wrench. What size is it if I try Sears? That metal at the holes is too soft for this frozen nut in my opinion.

I've sprayed the nut with penetrating fluid. I've also learned when to walk away from the Porsche before things get ugly!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Ron
Old 04-18-2006, 08:14 AM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

Buy or borrow the spanner wrench. You'll find the nut will come off if you use the right tool.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:42 AM
redidrum
Pro

Capt.,

Doesn't the allen wrench serve the same purpose? The metal appears too soft to handle putting a spanner wrench in. The nut is really on there. 101 911 projects book says 49 lbs. torque... Wished my P.O. had left me the tool kit. what size is the spanner wrench? Motorcycle shops sell them. I have one from my 928 days.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 04-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Chris Holcombe
Advanced

Hit it with an air wrench! Beg/borrow a compressor and impact gun. DON'T put the nut back on with an air wrench use the right tools.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:25 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,048 Likes on 746 Posts

you may have a tough time getting an impact gun in their with the clearance.. or should I say lack of . If you post where you are maybe another rennlister is around you with a tool .
Old 04-18-2006, 10:36 AM
redidrum
Pro

Ouch! Too aggressive for me and no room to fit an impact.. Still need something to hold the pulley from spinning. Looking at giving in to Pelican's Way... On their website now. Hurts to pay so much for a simple tool. How about if I stop and buy a nice new 24 mm box wrench and use the allen key with an extension. I don't like the spanner wrench at all. I'm in Indianapolis. I'm house poor since installing new tile floor this week and flooded front yard landscaping expenses.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:40 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Not sure ... I have an older car and it uses a 17mm nut. so it came off " fairly easily" . You want to be carfeull though , that is the alternator shaft you are playing with. Can you not just pull up to a dealer back door and ask him to just quickly loosen it for you and tighten it again ( not to 70000lbs torque) so you can work on it ... I have done stuff like this before and the guys are generally good.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:45 AM
redidrum
Pro

I have no belt on it or cool air to drive it to any shops. Belt snapped in garage. Good thing while idling.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:59 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

CRAP ! .. er I guess it's safe to say it has been on a while ... and might explain how tight it is.. looks like you are gonna have to just bite the bullet ... or call your local chapter of the PCA to see if you have anybody around .. a bit far for me to drive over and lend you mine !!!!
Old 04-18-2006, 11:48 AM
redidrum
Pro

Is it a 22mm or 24mm? Friend of mine suggested using universal socket and impact to jar it loose.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:00 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The spanner goes on the outside of the pulley. There is a lug wrench type tool similar to the one you remove the lug nut with that fits perfectly. While holding the spanner (correct tool) with your right hand, use the lug type tool in your left hand and loosen. If it's been on a while, you really have to grunt it off. Without the correct tools, you may damage the fan or something else. You say the tool costs less than $50, that fan blade costs around $300 if you damage or break it.

If you are a member of the Porsche Club of America (PCA), go to your local region in Indianapolis and ask for help. The local president can advise you who might be able to help. I looked in my region book and found someone who might help. Try calling Larry Haskett in Indy at 317-257-4047. He is the Central Indiana Region treasurer. Also, think about joining PCA if not a member already. Times like these are what the club is all about.

Respectfully, 39 year PCA member.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:14 PM
redidrum
Pro

Spider,

That sucker is really on there. I still think that the allen wrench is a better place to grab on to the shaft. Are you saying stay away from the shaft entirely? That allen is there for a reason. I just don't think a spanner will hold with amount of pressure I'll need to apply to loosen the nut. Thanks for the PCA info..

Ron
Old 04-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If your alternator shaft has no provision for an allen wrench the nut is 22mm, if it has an allen wrench opening it's 24mm. Every time that I've encountered an overtightened nut (read alot!) I place the spanner in position and use the wrench to turn the pulley counterclockwise until the spanner handle jambs against the engine mount. Apply pressure to your wrench with one hand and hit its outer end with the palm of your other hand. You have to be careful to not allow the spanner to slip. As it is with almost everything, technique is important. This method has worked for me for as many years as that pulley design has been on our cars. I still use the same spanner, and I've never damaged a pulley or rounded off a nut. Yes, it's tricky. Yes, you'll wish that you had three hands. No, the spanner doesn't fit exactly square to the pulley, so you have to maximise its contact area at both the pulley and the engine mount pylon. But you can do it!
Pete
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2006, 02:18 PM
redidrum
Pro

Pete,

I understand the method. I just wondered why nobody uses the allen wrench hole that I have.

Should I NOT touch the allen hole and use a 24mm long box wrench?

Looks to me like the spanner is for people that do not have the allen hole.

I get it already, everyone wants me to buy the spanner wrench. I just don't have one. Should I attempt it without it or bite the Pelican bullet? Any place cheaper? Would it hurt to give it a shot tonight after soaking penetrant all day night?

Thanks,

Ron
Old 04-18-2006, 02:36 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Ron do you have a grinder ?

If so you can fabricate one easily enough out of some flat stock steel real cheap . get a piece at home depot. scribe the circle of the pulley on it and grind or cut it out. just leave a knib to go in the hole.

Quick Reply: Alternator fan belt nut froze