82 911SC broken oil pick-up tube?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 11:43 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by sansor
Hi Autobonrun,
Your research and analysis is very helpful and much appreciated. At no time did any red warning lights appear. I seem to recall that the "Druck Pressure" remained in the mid range of the gauge. I do not think it fell during the "adventure". The engine still seemed to be running ok when I pulled over and stopped on the turnpike.
The prospect that repair of this oil pick-up tube may bring my car back to life has done a lot to improve my outlook.
-What a long strange trip it's been-
Bob
Excellent. Sounds like your oil pressure remained high enough to at least indicate some oil was being moved.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:28 AM
Miguel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will turn out fine, in the end...
Old 05-19-2006, 11:14 AM
mo_gearhead
Instructor

FYI ...If this "strange" occurance (losing the pickup tube from the oil pump) had occurred on almost any car EXCEPT a PORSCHE, you would probably be looking at an engine re-build! Most vehicles oil systems are "wet sump", meaning the oil sucked up from the pickup tube is "directly" feeding the pressure to the engine. A loss of the pickup tube at highways speeds would cause a complete loss of engine oil pressure and if the driver did not notice (or ignored the common idiot light in most cars)
that would cause major internal damage. The Porsche engine has a two stage oil pump and the "pressure" side is fed from the oil "tank", so one would assume your engine never LOST oil pressure. As I stated earlier, the oil level did probably fill the lower crankcase to an excesssive level, got lots of oil sloshed/thrown around into cylinders, onto moving parts, etc. but you would not have lost oil "pressure" to critical engine parts as long as the tank still had oil in it. Be thankfull for that much.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Autobonrun: I've been meaning to compliment you for some time on your avatar of Ralf doing his best 747 imitation!

Bob: Long strange trip indeed. Your problem is one that I used to have in my "no way, no how, can't happen" file - until now! Hope your drive home goes well...
Pete
Old 05-21-2006, 05:57 PM
Miguel
Pro

Sansor, how are things evolving?

Miguel
Old 05-21-2006, 09:41 PM
sansor
Intermediate

I am awaiting word from the mechanic. He is planning to epoxy the replacement oil pick-up tube to the oil pump on Monday and then road test it. Will post an update as soon as I have news. Thanks for your continued concern and interest.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:48 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Autobonrun: I've been meaning to compliment you for some time on your avatar of Ralf doing his best 747 imitation!

Bob: Long strange trip indeed. Your problem is one that I used to have in my "no way, no how, can't happen" file - until now! Hope your drive home goes well...
Pete
Thanks Peter. Ralf seems to get himself into the strangest situations.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:59 PM
sansor
Intermediate

Iceman (if you are still following this thread)

On 5/15/06 you wrote:
"I was thinking about this a little more last night and I was just wondering something. Something that Maybe Steve Tony or Pete could chime in on. What if what he read was correct. Is there any condition on the car that would indicate no oil while idling . ( just as if the car were cold turned off being checked ) some kind of scavenge pump maybe ? Also contribute to a running very hot condition. It is almost like the oil is not being pumped back into the tank, maybe the engine is trying to cool on a lot less oil. Maybe sansor has noticed a key item. When the guys in the shop run it it does not overheat and i imagine the oil level checks fine ?
I am not sure but just trying to come at it from a different angle"

You were RIGHT ON with your thought process. When the oil pick up tube was found to be detached a few days later, I went back and read your post. Awsome!
Thanks again to everyone. Update to follow.
Bob
Old 05-22-2006, 03:28 AM
Miguel
Pro

Iceman is da Man!!
Old 05-22-2006, 10:00 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,060 Likes on 756 Posts

Thanks guys .. it was really the only thing that made sense.. I am glad you are on the road to recovery. I would really wonder how secure the epoxied pick up tube would be though / I know they have some GREAT stuff out there these days, but i was chatting with Tony G the other day and I agree with hiim , I hope they blast it with brake cleaner first, that stuff is the ultimate cleaner.

Good luck and make sure to keep us in the loop.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Mysterytrain
Intermediate

I was just thinking the same thing. How does the factory attach the pickup tube? Granted, the temperatures will be under 300 degrees but does JB Weld or any epoxy like that sort of environment? Also..care to share the location of the car?
Old 05-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Mysterytrain
Intermediate

Found this thought you might like a look, see!
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...il+pickup+tube
Old 05-26-2006, 09:16 PM
sansor
Intermediate

Mysterytrain:
That is just what happened to me! (except I was on the New Jersey Turnpike, arrrr!) Silicone cement used to secure the replacement pipe after brake cleaner. Concern that an epoxy would not hold up as well to the heat/vibration. Thanks for the link to the other thread.
Bob
Old 05-27-2006, 08:24 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a '75 Turbo where an "oil change shop" took off the plate and then reinstalled it wrongly..forced the oil pipe into the wrong position, which then fell out, rattled around the engine and jammed inthe timing chain...not suprsingly, the engine rattled and stopped.
Owner of vehicle still engaged in law suit with "oil change shop" . The engine had to be rebuilt with new oil pump and more than a few other parts.
Old 05-28-2006, 12:15 AM
sansor
Intermediate

Wow,
Exact same story for me. From the service records, the car apparently had an oil change at a gas station in January. In April, one of the oil lines under the car was found to be crushed. After I bought the car in May and overheated on by way home from the purchase, the strainer screen was found to be damaged and this was thought to be the mechanism for the damage to the oil pick-up tube causing it to come loose from the pump and to be found loose in the engine. I have no way of knowing what damage the loose pipe caused inside the engine...at least it did not grind to a stop as in your story. It does seem like threads would be a better idea on this part of the car.

Quick Reply: 82 911SC broken oil pick-up tube?