Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What would you pay?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Reynard38
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What would you pay?

I am trying to purchase a '79 Euro non-sunroof SC. Car has not run in @ 2 years. Has been sitting outside in Texas. Paint and interior are said to be a bit rough. Supposedly no rust (yeah I know).
I would be buying this one to build a track car.
What would you pay for something like this?
Old 05-20-2006, 08:16 PM
mcuozzo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't pay more than 5-6K. And then only if you think you can resurrect the engine\trans without too much trouble.

I've been watching pelican parts and ebay for a while and rollers are sold for 3-4 K, working cars can be had for 9K (there is one for sale right now as a matter of fact). The car you are looking at fits in the middle, it's not a roller but not a running car.

When it is all said and done it might be cheaper to buy the 9k car that is already running.

Matt
Old 05-21-2006, 01:13 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with mcuozzo's value estimates of rollers and possible $9k "barely drivable" cars. Because I have the same problem as you, which is that I desire almost any 911 I see, I can add the following opinion...

Will he let you spend 30 minutes trying to get it started? If I could not get it to start then I would consider the engine little more than spare parts and assume the trans an clutch are toasted. If you have to rebuild the engine it will make sense to replace the clutch and transmission at the same time. (I don't know how to test a transmission without a running engine.)

In other words, I would consider it a roller with some possible spare parts and only add $1k value for the engine/trans parts. If you want a powerhouse then you'll dump the 3.0 motor anyway. Figure $9-12k to get the drivetrain you want. It's always a disappointment to meet a seller who has not at least bothered to keep an engine running so buyers can diagnose problems, so my rule of thumb is to assume the worst.

Quick Reply: What would you pay?