Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Questions about adding forced heat and A/C

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Nanocore
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about adding forced heat and A/C

I have a 77 911 that has had an engine upgrade several years ago to an 87 3.2. In the process the engine compartment was not large enough to have the non-factory installed A/C parts put back in. The one in particular was the piece that attached to the deck lid (sorry I don't know the part name). Also, the engine utilizes the heat exchangers for heat. There isn't a fan either so there is no forced air (hot or cold) in the car. Given this set up, is it unrealistic to think that I can change the heat to a forced heat system and add A/C back into the car? By forced, I mean that there is a blower/fan that is controlled from the dash. I have seen a reference to Performance Aire for the A/C parts, but taking the car from St. Louis to California is a huge stretch. I will look into getting the parts from them and maybe someone local can do the installation (suggestions welcome).

I take it the A/C part would best be done by a professional, but what about the forced heat system?
Old 06-20-2006, 04:07 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

AC

The part on the rear decklid is a condenser. You can add another one there, or you can add condensers in alternate areas (under the bellypan of the car or in the rear driver's side fender). Performance Aire is a good place to talk to about AC. The more condenser area an AC system has, the better.

Heat

If your engine compartment fan has been removed, you should still be getting airflow through the heat vents, although it will be reduced, and dependent on engine RPMs. Check to see what's going on upstream of the heat exchangers to confirm where the air is being drawn from before it's heated up. Also check the positions (and functionality) of your heat controls.

If you want to add more effective blowing, you can get kick panel blowers. These are fans that were added in 1984 (or thereabouts) that go in the front footwells of the car. They're on the left side of the driver and the right side of the passenger. If you pull the carpet back in your car, you'll be able to see a flexible air duct coming up from the rocker area of the car in the front footwells and going up under the dash. You can retrofit the kick panel blowers in the same place and power them with a two-position switch on the dash (at least that's what I did).

They look like this (from an ad for a set being sold on Pelican):

Old 06-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Nanocore
7th Gear

Outstanding, that is the kind of information I am looking for. Many thanks.
Old 06-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Nanocore
7th Gear

Couple of follow-up questions. Are these blowers inline to the hose? How did you attach the blowers? And finally, did you running a new set of wires from the fuse block or battery to the unit, and then another set to a switch (that I assume was purchased separately)?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:30 AM
Mysterytrain
Intermediate

These blowers are mounted in the footwells. They are much more effective then the original engine compartment blower. Here is a link to my install.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ootwell+blower
Old 07-05-2006, 07:58 PM
DonMo
Advanced

For AC condenser, I would look at the underbelly consenser instead of putting it in the heat laddened engine compartment. The other option on heat is the same backdating the heat like the rest of us 3.2's do.

Quick Reply: Questions about adding forced heat and A/C