Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Strange chain tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 12:49 PM
59ghia
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange chain tensioners

Well, here's my first post!, Quick intro, new owner of a 67 912 that has a 70 911 engine. Looks to be a well done conversion. Body is straight, no rust! Any way I'm hearing a scraping type noise from the right chain housing and immediatly think colapsed tensioner. Pull the cover and see a "updated" full mechanical tensioner!
What do you all think of this set-up? It's definetly noisy. If I stay with it, how often should I check for chain strech? How do you know you have enough tension? This car otherwise seems to have been well sorted out.

Thanks Dave
P.S. Look forward to hanging out here!
Attached Images   
Old 07-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that is a regular chain tensioner, converted to mechanical. I am no expert, but they have to adjusted fairly often, and I am unsure of chain tension needed. SOmeone on the board I'm sure can help. I had tehm on my 72E and didn't like them becuse of the lack of flexibility and the worry of chain tightness. They won't collapse, however. I would change to the latest pressure fed ASAP. It is a fairly inexpensive (relative term) and straight forward process.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Throw them away - they're JUNK! 911 timing chains stretch approximately 2mm between cold start and full temp. Obviously, a "mechanical" tensioner can not accomodate this stretch, so the chain is either too loose or too tight depending on temp and how the tensioner is adjusted. Your tensioners are similar to putting a bandaid on a wound that requires stitches...
Pete
Old 07-17-2006, 03:58 PM
59ghia
2nd Gear

OK, I'll start sourceing the upgrade. Thanks for the input.

Dave

Last edited by 59ghia; 07-17-2006 at 04:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Throw them away - they're JUNK! 911 timing chains stretch approximately 2mm between cold start and full temp. Obviously, a "mechanical" tensioner can not accomodate this stretch, so the chain is either too loose or too tight depending on temp and how the tensioner is adjusted. Your tensioners are similar to putting a bandaid on a wound that requires stitches...
Pete
A big AMEN for that,....

Convert the engine to Carrera pressurized ones with the late wide idlers and you'll have a reliable setup that won't let you down.

Replace the chain ramps, too.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:54 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

They are worth keeping around for when you are timing the cams and need the chains tight.

Quick Reply: Strange chain tensioners