Silly situation need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 05:55 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Silly situation need help

After a 2000 miles trip to bring back home my new toy , i was almost arrived , and apparently the clutch cable let me down , that is not my major problem for now , the bigger deal consist in unlocking the car with the keys in
after i called the auto club for a towing to bring me and the car home , i closed the door , locked with keys in , the guy of the auto club tried with some of his tools without success. Now i have the car home but my things are inside and if possible i would'nt like to break anything , is there a way to unlock the doors from outside or take off the triangle door window from outside ?
Old 08-10-2006, 06:10 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it has the opening rear windows, I managed to push the window lock with wire, get the window open and then use coat hangar wire and a broom handle to get to the door lock button. Worked for me!

Salut!
Old 08-10-2006, 07:08 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately it does'nt have the opening rear windows , i was in your area yesterday
any other suggestions ?
Old 08-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

am: I'm surprised the AAA guy couldn't use a slim-jim to unlock the car - have them send out a different guy. You probably have the door buttons that can't be hooked, so trying to move the widow a little won't work. My shop used a local locksmith in Santa Monica - that guy could open anything! You might want to call your closest P dealer to see what they do. FYI: What year is your car? I alway thought that most 911s were lock proof - if you try to close the driver's door with the key inside the button pops up. Good luck with it...
Pete
Old 08-10-2006, 09:35 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pete , it's a 1970 , the guy of the autoclub had nice tools and looked competent but before he even tried he was sure he could'nt do a porsche . I'm at about 100 miles from the dealer .
I have the door buttons that can be hooked but anyway i don't have enough space to get anything in.
Any other idea ? if and i said if i can't find a solution in the worst case i'll have to break a glass or maybe i could break a rear glass window seal and push it inside , they have to be changed anyway.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:50 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi am,
You should be able to get a bit of that blue nylon packing tape (folded in half) between the door and the fram and pull the **** up.
Failing that, get a quote on a new rear quarter vent window rubber, and if it's not too expensive, cut the old rubber out with a razor blade and tae the rear quarter window out.

Good luck,

Frank
Old 08-10-2006, 09:55 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank's Frank.
Dave , i double check about the rear opening windows and yes they open , i'll try what you said.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Even though you have the later-style door lock ****, a well placed slim jim will work on your car, I've been able to do it several times when customers have locked a key in their car when they drop their car off at night for the next morning after we leave, but somehow forget to leave us a copy . . . PM me for details as I guess I shouldn't be posting techniques on how to break into any 911. I've gotten pretty fast so if my career as a mechanic doesn't pan out I can have a night job!

---

Chris Andropoulos
Schneider Autohaus
Santa Barbara, CA
Old 08-10-2006, 11:46 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got it with the method of the quarter glass and a lever that i made from a flat bar with a notch to get the door **** in and then easily i lifted it.
Thank's to all, next the issue of the clutch pedal that went to the floor and now i hear a noise going at the speed of the engine ,
to continue ....
Old 08-11-2006, 11:59 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

am: I usually don't post for the benefit of car thieves , but... The '70/71 cars have a very peculiar clutch arrangement that uses a plastic tube with ears at the back of the car under the bell housing. Those "ears" are probably broken, and the fix requires replacement of that part. Unfortunately the problem can also be internal - the fulcrum bolt for the throw out bearing fork can break. That requires engine removal...

Chris: Was that you that I saw lurking in the parking lot outside Moonshadows in Malibu last weekend?
Pete
Old 08-11-2006, 07:21 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank's Pete for the infos , it is not a real good news but it helps. you were rigt about the part like a plastic tube , that's what broke the first time , at that time the engine was turning freely and i was'nt able to shift in any gearand the pedal was 2 inch lower than usual , they have fixed that temporarily but now the problem is a bit different , the clutch pedal is completely down and the shifter is in neutral but there is a noise in the tranny like if a piece of steel was touching the ring gear (just to compare) I just checked a little bit and what they have fixed the first time looks ok so i'm worrying about the trans. It happened when i came to shift in 5th. The engine is ok but i did'nt keep it running because of that bed noise.
Is the tube of plastic with ears available separately ?
Thank's maybe i should post a new topic for this ?
Old 08-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

am: Yes, the plastic tube is available, but if its ears are intact then it's OK. Two things - if the T.O. fork fulcrum bolt breaks the result will be a pedal on the floor and noise from the bell housing. I don't think that you have to worry about the trans, your symptoms sound like clutch. Also, there is a small chance that your clutch cable is broken - that should be checked before engine removal!
Pete
Old 08-11-2006, 09:09 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank's Pete but could you tell me what you mean by :if the T.O. fork fulcrum bolt.
I completely undid and reassembled a 928 for restoration but i'm a newbie for 911's .
For the plastic tube the ears are broken (gone) . The symptom you said about the t.o. fork sounds exactly like my problem.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:14 PM
am
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry Pete i just read again , this time more attentively, what you previously wrote about the t.o. and i understood that i will have to go earlier than i tought for the big job.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:51 PM
fixnprsh
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

BTW with proper tools and some silicone spray, you can get the 1/4 window out of a 911, 964,993 in about 30 seconds without ruining the seal or glass..................................

Quick Reply: Silly situation need help