Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

starting issue in an 83SC

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 09:23 PM
rentadate
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting issue in an 83SC

I have an 83SC engine, and I got it timed yesterday because it was running about 15 degrees ahead. Now that it is in the right place, the idle went down, and the car itsself shifts better. My problem is that the thing now has a ton of problems starting.

It will crank and crank and crank and won't turn over unless I really crank on it for a while. During that time I keep hearing the motor that puts fuel into the engine keep running after 10 seconds. When the motor starts I hear the same thing while the car is in idle.

Maybe that is affecting something I'm not sure.

But it was running fine, just with a lot of rattling in the advanced position. Now the thing won't fire up immeadiately like it used to.

Some things to note:

I have an MSD ignition. Running a stock coil, and using the same cap and rotors. I have cleaned about everything looking for a connection problem. But it keeps on coming up.

any suggestions?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

May be related or not, but MSD recommends thta you change the coil to theirs or upgrade from stock.

Do you have this problem on hot and cold starts?
Old 08-12-2006, 02:04 PM
DGaunt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might be a leaky check valve in the fuel pump, leaky injectors, or a bum accumulator,but none of these would explain the connection between the timing and the starting problem.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Since the MSDs make multiple sparks they are really hard on the distributor rotor, as in they can partially melt it. Check your cap and rotor.

---

Chris Andropoulos
Schneider Autohaus
Santa Barbara, CA

Quick Reply: starting issue in an 83SC