Adjusting the hood... tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 05:36 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting the hood... tips?

Well, after replacing the hood struts a couple of months ago, I noticed that now the hood is actually "up" a little on the driver's front corner (see photo).

Is this a latch adjustment, too-powerful struts (Pelican's), or something else? I tried replacing just the pass. side, doesn't hold the hood up with the old one on the driver's.

Any advice on adjusting this appreciated, it's gotten to the point of really bugging me.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:04 PM
My87Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

adjust the latch first then try diconecting the hood shocks and see what happens
Old 08-17-2006, 06:15 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

With the old saggy struts it was flush. With the pass side only replaced, it was flush (but wouldn't stay up). With both installed, I get what you see in the pic.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:49 PM
ulrichd
Racer

Actually the drivers' side gap seems to be common on many cars I have seen on ebay and owner's photos. I thought it was my imagination. My 78SC has it as well.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

Easily adjusted....turn in you hood stops first. Then adjust your latch.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:02 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ah, ha! That's why the car won't shift right!

Actually, Fred, it looks like someone re-adjusted the lower latch to accomodate a bra - that's about the right amount of clearance required. You can fix that by lifting the black piece of plastic away from the lower latch - or there might be two pop-out plugs like the ones used on your doors for the window frame bolts. The bolt heads face backward toward the dash. You'll find two bolts, probably allen head type. Loosen those and gently tap down on the latch, when it has moved a little re-tighten the bolts and check the adjustment. If my fix doesn't work, and you end up never being able to open your trunk lid again, please accept my apology in advance. I'm leaving now...
Pete
Old 08-17-2006, 07:18 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thanks Pete, I needed that one.

I do think you're right-on, the PO had a bra for the car. If your latch is captured or killed, Pete will disavow any knowledge of your actions. Thanks for the tip Pete.

Edit:
So, segue into... terminology. I called it "hood". What's the standard way to discuss the storage compartment vs the engine compartment on these cars, with the engine being in the "correct" location vs. traditional location?

trunk, boot, engine bay, hood, engine lid, where da fuses live, where da whaletail at...

I'm off to have a beer & adjust away, then maybe swing by the cruise night at the diner with the family. Thanks all!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:09 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Aw dayum Pete, now I can't get the lid open!

J/K, I move the latch down, and went slightly up on the bumper to help level out the hood - seemed like it was tweaked just a little. The bumpstop on the driver's side was already bottomed, too.

Much better, and as always, thanks for the help folks!
Old 08-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Good news! Don't worry about the hood (aka "trunk lid"), after you look at about 100 cars like yours, and 99 of the lids look slightly tweaked, you'll realize that it's normal. Now that you've changed an adjustment put the car through a few slow corners, quickly, and make sure the lid stays shut. Glad to help!
Pete
Old 08-22-2006, 11:11 PM
RoninLB
Pro

Bentley Carrera '84-'89 book has specs for drilling a hole to enable opening the lid if unable to open with factory cable on p 550-4. The bad news is you have to remove bumper. I don't know about other Bentley's. That latch jamming closed can make you nuts. It's alignment with the male pin is important. At least with the engine lid latch you can drop the muffler and drill a hole for access if routine disconnecting cable handle and ++ fails.

Pre '74 is easy to run a hidden cable opener. '74+ is different afaik.

I can't post a pic for some reason and I never get a reply from rennlist for why my HTML is not activated in case that's the reason.

if anyone needs an emergency fax send me your info. or maybe someone with the Bentley can post a pic.

Quick Reply: Adjusting the hood... tips?