Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC
View Poll Results: Would you buy an original 3.2 Carerra built new by Porsche today?
Yes
63.89%
No
36.11%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Would you buy an original 3.2 Carrera if it were built new today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 03:19 PM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Would you buy an original 3.2 Carrera if it were built new today?

Would it be totally off the wall for Porsche to consider rebuilding the 1980's 3.2 911 carreras again today....as a new car but as they were as an original 1980's car. I mean granted there are tons of issues i.e. emissions, crash tests that have become far more stringent in the last 20 years. But there is such a strong following for these original cars that sometimes I wonder why they wouldn't consider something like that. A lot of us are willing to give up a lot of modernization for that raw unspoiled experience of the older cars...in fact I think we crave it. I know many that could afford a brand spanking new 997, yet they continue on with the old cars. What it would cost to build say an 85 3.2 carrera in today's dollars. I believe the msrp in 1985 was 31k. Should I write them a letter?

Old 08-24-2006, 03:43 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

svb

while I aplaud your efforts I just can not agree on a global scale. Sure on a small forum porschephile scale thaere are "lots" of people. But it the world of people buying cars and keeping car companies profitable I don' think the car wold be big. it would be a niche car. why do you think Porsch started selling SUVs and now 4 door sedans with the Panorama or whatever it will be called .... that is what peope buy en mass. Admitedly the boxster was really a throw back car if you can call it that , pieces reminiscent of the speedster maybe?

my .02c
Old 08-24-2006, 03:51 PM
svb
Racer

Originally Posted by theiceman
svb

while I aplaud your efforts I just can not agree on a global scale. Sure on a small forum porschephile scale thaere are "lots" of people. But it the world of people buying cars and keeping car companies profitable I don' think the car wold be big. it would be a niche car. why do you think Porsch started selling SUVs and now 4 door sedans with the Panorama or whatever it will be called .... that is what peope buy en mass. Admitedly the boxster was really a throw back car if you can call it that , pieces reminiscent of the speedster maybe?

my .02c
Yes your point is well taken. But forget about the financial reality of it all....you're saying you wouldn't buy it if Porsche did build it again?
Old 08-24-2006, 03:59 PM
GoWolfpack
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have pondered the same question, but for the 1980's Mercedes-Benz turbodiesels--specifically the 1981-1985 300D, 300TD, 300CD, and 300SD. I have owned several of these cars (some approaching 300K miles) and in terms of reliability and build quality, I think they were the finest cars ever built. Bar none.

The level of craftsmanship in those old cars far exceeds anything you find in today's car--I don't care who the manufacturer is. But that was in the day when these sorts of cars (Porsche, Mercedes-Benz) were largely hand assembled.

Bottom line is the car company's cannot afford to build a car like that today.
Sad, but it's reality.

PS--are the mid-1980's 911's for the most part hand assembled?
Old 08-24-2006, 04:04 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh dear God that has so many holes in it where to begin. A 3.2 Carrera was an an overpriced anachronism when it was new. No one would buy one if they made it today. It would be panned as an out of date joke compared to current competitors and it would cost $70k plus in todays dollars.

But yes, you should write them a letter for sure. I'm sure they'd learn a thing or two from it.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:41 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

to be honest I wouldn't buy one .... I'd rather spend my money on a nice 993 ..sorry ..
Old 08-24-2006, 04:59 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

I'd consider one if they could fit the 964/993 HVAC system...in other words, "functioning air conditioning".

However, the current DOT safety standards and EPA emission requirements wouldn't allow these cars to be built nowadays, so it is a moot issue.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:50 PM
svb
Racer

Originally Posted by GoWolfpack
I have pondered the same question, but for the 1980's Mercedes-Benz turbodiesels--specifically the 1981-1985 300D, 300TD, 300CD, and 300SD. I have owned several of these cars (some approaching 300K miles) and in terms of reliability and build quality, I think they were the finest cars ever built. Bar none.

The level of craftsmanship in those old cars far exceeds anything you find in today's car--I don't care who the manufacturer is. But that was in the day when these sorts of cars (Porsche, Mercedes-Benz) were largely hand assembled.

Bottom line is the car company's cannot afford to build a car like that today.
Sad, but it's reality.

PS--are the mid-1980's 911's for the most part hand assembled?

you guys are readily extinguishing my fantasy....

But GoWolfPack your absolutely right about the old MB's of that era and Dieter Zetche is apparently trying to move MB back into the days of overengineering. My "newest car" is a 94 W124 body e320. I like to think its the last of the overengineered MB's as it originated from the 86 300e. In fact I liked it so much I bought my wife the same exact car. They both have less than 80k miles.

Alas once these cars are gone, I don't know what I'm going to do. Its the kind of thing that keeps me up at night.

Last edited by svb; 08-26-2006 at 01:42 AM.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:47 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Out on the road today I saw a Dead Head sticker on a Cadillac...a little voice inside my head said, 'Don't look back,' you can never look back."

Seriously, I voted yes simply because it would be so neat to have a brand new air-cooled Porsche. Nevertheless, at the price they would charge, it probably wouldn't sell. Look at how Nissan was reconditioning older Datsun 240Zs a few years back with basically new everything, and I don't think they weren't selling too well.

Agree on the M-B diesels...they truly were finely built automobiles. The gas M-Bs of the era weren't bad, either in terms of material fit, finish, and quality, but the diesel motors have such rediculous lifespans. We had a 1979 300SD Turbodiesel, and it was a work of art. I loved the huge "Hazard " button mid console, the perforated steering wheel grips, the typical M-B gated shifter, even that Becker stereo.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:51 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by svb
you guys are readily extinguishing my fantasy....

But GoWolfPack your absolutely right about the old MB's of that era and Dieter Zetche is apparently trying to move MB back into the days of overengineering. My "newest car" is a 94 W124 body e320. I like to think its the last of the overengineered MB's as it originated from the 86 300e. In fact I liked it so much I bought my wife the same exact car. They both have less than 80k miles. I also have an 83 300sd with 200k miles on it which shows very little signs of stopping anytime soon.

Alas once these cars are gone, I don't know what I'm going to do. Its the kind of thing that keeps me up at night.
The 300Es were also remarkable...agree 100%.

The other car (that isn't an MB) that makes my list is the BMW 528e. That car, while not as popular with enthusiasts as the much more powerful and fun 533i/535i cars, enjoys a tremendous lifespan due to that venerable "eta" 2.7L six. They are built like tanks, and the steering feel is "hand of God."
Old 08-24-2006, 11:48 PM
GoWolfpack
Track Day

Funny you mention the 528e BMW's. I own a 1987 535i with a 5 speed manual and it is a helluva car for the $1000 I paid for it. Blast to drive. Nobody does straight-6's like BMW.

The W124 MB is truly the last of the great Daimler-Benz Stuttgart products. If you have an e320, I am jealous. That is one silky smooth engine and hopefully both of these cars were very affordable. I love these old Benzes--we are at the very bottom in terms of depreciation and typically you can pick one up for a song. Think about it--you can 4-5 sweet 300D's for about $20K. And collectively, thse cars would have cost $120K-$150K brand new!

My hope for my old 300SD (Hildegard) is that long after I am gone, she's still motoring down the road.

Last edited by GoWolfpack; 08-25-2006 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:58 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or....you can simply buy a low mileage garage queen, upgrade/refresh suspension, brakes, etc. and have something that imo is 'better than new'. That's what I did

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 08-25-2006, 09:48 AM
joey c
Pro

i often wonder if they will make a special air cooled 911 in the future..maybe they will....
Old 08-25-2006, 10:54 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

I think it would be VERY neat to see the factory "re-certify" / update the 87-89 Carreras like Nissan did with the 240Z's awhile back - dealer sold w/ warranty.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:19 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, since you guys started this thread in this direction I'll chime in that I agree with the comments on the diesel Mercedes of the 1980s, as well as the s class benzes of the same time period (I'll throw in the 86+ 300e), and 528e. They don't build cars like this anymore, and these cars as well as the bullet proof 911 were what gave "german engineering" it's reputation. I have always told people of the vault like build quality and heavy solid feel of these cars as well as their ability to pile on miles 200-300K are the norm for properly maintianed cars. Heck, just last year my parents finally sold their 1985 528e with 205K miles....this was a car that was, shall I say, not properly mainainted, and to the day we sold it it didn't burn any oil between oil changes! (of course the inside and outside were in rough shape- the car sat outside as a weekend/spare car for the last several years of its life).

I would buy one of the 1980's benzes in a second except for one thing- I like quicker cars that have quick handling. I have a 2000 540i sport as my daily driver, which I have had for 5 years now...I'm still loving it esecially on long highway drives- the car is so soild at triple diget speeds, has awesome brakes handling and acceleration, and a smooth ride. That said, while there are no squeeks or rattles it's not as solid materials wise as the 528e/535i era or even the series just before my series (the "E34" 525i/535i series). I also love its looks vs. the new crap that BMW makes. I was one to switch cars every 2 years, so for me to have a car 5 years and not be near bored of it speaks volumes

The car that takes the helm from these old school 1980's german cars is the 1990+ Lexus LS400/LS430. While the car isn't any near as solid feeling as the german cars, it is overengineered in that the car can take 300K miles in stride, although the models from the past few years are getting overly complex and gimmicky for my taste.

When I see an old well-maintaned benz/bmw/porsche from the 80's, I still do a double take and look at the car. I love the conservative styling and imagine the solid feel of the car as it drives by. The germans dumbed down their quality to cut cost/price to compete with lexus, and unfortunately we'll never see these types of cars again.

A V8 S class cost something like $60K in 1990...that would be well over $100K today if built to the same standards- most people couldn't see spending say $110K for an S class benz when they can get 9/10th of the feel for $60K in a lexus. We may notice that 1/10 difference in feel and 5/10 difference in quality and appreciate it, but 90% of the car buying public will not or at least not enough to pay 80% more for the car, and the car companies are in business to sell cars and make money.

-Andrew

Quick Reply: Would you buy an original 3.2 Carrera if it were built new today?