Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cold air intake ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Tetra84
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cold air intake ?

Anyone know of any cold air intake kits that can be installed on an '89 911? I was checking out the K&N kits, but i dont know if they make a kit for that year 911. I would love to squeeze a few more horses out of my car without too much $$$.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:10 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Technically, none of the aftermarket 3.2 intakes are "cold air intakes", since they all inhale ambient (heated) air in the engine compartment.

The best and least expensive solution is to find a spare air cleaner lid on eBay and cut the end off ala the 964 Cup cars. That way you can keep your stock lid in case you sell your car to a purist someday. They usually go for $25-40.

There are two benefits to a cut lid: it sounds cool under wide open throttle, and it makes it a LOT easier to access the two clips in the rear. There is little if any power gain. Here is a pic of a cut lid.
Attached Images  

Last edited by jackb911; 09-06-2006 at 02:44 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Chuck Harmon
Racer

I agree with what Jack says..... however if you still want a "different" type air intake,
I might suggest EVO motorsports www.evoms.com
They have some interesting air intakes for the 3.2
I personally have the MSDS intake on my 3.2, mostly for the color, I know... I'm a very shallow
person and like pretty colors.
Chuck
I just went to EVO's website and did not notice the air intakes.
Maybe the quit making them ??
Old 09-06-2006, 11:24 AM
My87Targa
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have an evo motorspots intake and have been very happy with it.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,587 Likes on 991 Posts

[QUOTE=jackb911]Technically, none of the aftermarket 3.2 intakes are "cold air intakes", since they all inhale ambient (heated) air in the engine compartment...QUOTE]

Wait a sec...I thought the intake on the Carrera is basically cold air since the opening is right next to the intake fan, which pulls cold air from outside the car? Granted, if the AC is on, the temp will be higher, but for all intents and purposes, that air should be relatively cool when the car is running, no?
Old 09-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,587 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by jackb911
...find a spare air cleaner lid on eBay and cut the end off ala the 964 Cup cars...
That's a good idea. Now I just have to find a used lid...
Old 09-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Tetra84
Advanced

Originally Posted by jackb911
Technically, none of the aftermarket 3.2 intakes are "cold air intakes", since they all inhale ambient (heated) air in the engine compartment.

The best and least expensive solution is to find a spare air cleaner lid on eBay and cut the end off ala the 964 Cup cars. That way you can keep your stock lid in case you sell your car to a purist someday. They usually go for $25-40.

There are two benefits to a cut lid: it sounds cool under wide open throttle, and it makes it a LOT easier to access the two clips in the rear. There is little if any power gain. Here is a pic of a cut lid.

i'm not sure what was cut here in this pic... and how does this sound different?
Old 09-06-2006, 02:47 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

The air in the engine compartment is not as cool as outside air. There is a thread somewhere where some semi-scientific temperature measurements were taken. It gets pretty warm in there.

On the pic of the cut airbox, the passenger side "face" of the box was removed with a cut-off wheel. I left some extra material around the perimeter to keep water out. If you get on the Fabspeed website and look at their "Cup" airboix lids, that is essentially how it looks. That factory lid is MUCH more substantial than the aftermarket part (I had one on a 964), plus the factory clips are way better.

The factory lid quiets the incoming intake air to keep the governmental agenies happy. Cutting the lid allows some nice intake noises under full throttle around 4,000 RPM and above. Supposedly the airbox lid mod (or an aftermarket "cold air" intake) doesn't add any significant power to a stock 3.2, but it may be of some minor benefit on a larger engine like a 3.6.That's what the experts say, anyway.

The bottom line is that it makes the car SOUND faster, but I doubt if a stopwatch could tell the difference.

Last edited by jackb911; 09-06-2006 at 08:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake ?