Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bulb removal of speedometer lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Dr.Chris
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bulb removal of speedometer lights

How does one take out the three small lights from an almost removed speedometer thats still partially the dash of a 1988 911? Do you push in and twist or unscrew or what?
Old 10-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Doc: They're tight - just grip and pull...
Pete
Old 10-09-2006, 10:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,043 Likes on 742 Posts

I use a swiss army knife and pry up the raised lip of the holder. Work your way around. ( Lucas 392-281 bulb )

Boy this has come up a lot lately.

Last edited by theiceman; 10-10-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:32 AM
Dr.Chris
Advanced

The holder has a lip? All I see is a red plastic socket that is depressable.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,043 Likes on 742 Posts

Look closer at the metal around the hole, there is a small lip. This is the holder.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:41 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Look closer at the metal around the hole, there is a small lip. This is the holder.
I am just about to send my speedo in for recalibration and conversion from mph to km/h. I pulled the speedo out of the dash half an hour ago and noticed that there are wires with connectors for easy removal, but two wires that don't have connectors. Are these the bulbs, and should they just be pried out in order to free the speedo from the dash?
Old 02-18-2008, 10:19 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
I am just about to send my speedo in for recalibration and conversion from mph to km/h. I pulled the speedo out of the dash half an hour ago and noticed that there are wires with connectors for easy removal, but two wires that don't have connectors. Are these the bulbs, and should they just be pried out in order to free the speedo from the dash?
The bulb holders do not have any quick disconnects. I think the holders are red, at least they are on my car.

Again, my advice would be to shell out the $80 and get the bently manual. You will find yourself referring to it a lot. I did when I had a VW and I do now with this car.

Cheers!
-matt
Old 02-18-2008, 10:39 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by old man neri
The bulb holders do not have any quick disconnects. I think the holders are red, at least they are on my car.

Again, my advice would be to shell out the $80 and get the bently manual. You will find yourself referring to it a lot. I did when I had a VW and I do now with this car.

Cheers!
-matt
Thanks, it is on my list of items to purchase. I am just waiting to get all my stuff in one order.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:39 PM
pingman
Advanced

Hi All,
Last week I pulled and sent off my speedo to have the odometer gear repaired and have it cleaned up a little. The indicator light sockets were red on my '87, I took a minature pair of needle nose pliars to remove the sockets from the speedo body. Removing the bulbs was difficult, but they do have "shoulders" on the brass part. They have to be pushed in and twisted to be removed. If anyone is interested, the cost of repair for my speedo was $130 plus s/h. I was very satisfied with the job and the turnaround time on the repair. I sent it to North Hollywood speedo. A top notch group. Mark
Old 02-19-2008, 04:47 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pingman
Hi All,
Last week I pulled and sent off my speedo to have the odometer gear repaired and have it cleaned up a little. The indicator light sockets were red on my '87, I took a minature pair of needle nose pliars to remove the sockets from the speedo body. Removing the bulbs was difficult, but they do have "shoulders" on the brass part. They have to be pushed in and twisted to be removed. If anyone is interested, the cost of repair for my speedo was $130 plus s/h. I was very satisfied with the job and the turnaround time on the repair. I sent it to North Hollywood speedo. A top notch group. Mark
Hi Pingman,

I am sending my speedo to the same place. I am in Canada with a US car so they are going to recalibrate my speedo, replace the mph gears with km/h gears, give my a km/h faceplate and convert the odometer to read my mileage in kilometres for $178.00.

As you probably read in my above post, I looked at the back of my speedo last night and noticed that all wires except two (I think) had quick disconnect ends on them. Are the two wires that looked fixed the bulbs that I need to pry out in order to free the gauge?
Old 02-20-2008, 01:32 AM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The green turn signal indicator lenses in my speedo needs to be replaced because it has little lines with less color that I find annoying to look at. Has anyone had experience in having them replaced so the green lens is re-tinted or swapped out so the color when lit up is uniform? (2) Do you have to remove the steering wheel to have clearance to remove the speedo all the way? (3) And any suggestions on getting the rubber around the instrument to give and ease out of the bay? TIA Andrew
Old 02-20-2008, 08:31 AM
pingman
Advanced

justinsrx7,
The wires that "run" the speedo will be quick disconnects, mounted on the side. I drew a diagram of mine before disconnecting all the wires and the connections are as follows, (I happen to still have my diagram): top wire will be red with a black stripe, next spot will have no wire, next wire will be white with a red stripe, next spot will have three wires on one connector they are brown with a black stripe, green and green. The bottom spot will also have three wires on one connector, and they are all brown.
The light bulbs will be in red holders and are situatedon the back with two at the top and one near the bottom. Wire colors are top left white with green stripe, top right black with blue stripe bottom black with blue stripe. Hope this helps.
To ajmartin,
No the steering wheel does not have to be removed, and I used a pop-sickle stick to pry the speedo from the dash to minimize the risk of scratches. Remember patience is a virtue, and only force it if you can afford a new one! As to the turnsignal colors, the above mentioned shop should be able to help. I have not looked inside one of these speedo but on others, it is simply a piece of plastic long enough to cover the arrow holes and glued in place. Mark
Old 02-20-2008, 10:14 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pingman
justinsrx7,
The wires that "run" the speedo will be quick disconnects, mounted on the side. I drew a diagram of mine before disconnecting all the wires and the connections are as follows, (I happen to still have my diagram): top wire will be red with a black stripe, next spot will have no wire, next wire will be white with a red stripe, next spot will have three wires on one connector they are brown with a black stripe, green and green. The bottom spot will also have three wires on one connector, and they are all brown.
The light bulbs will be in red holders and are situatedon the back with two at the top and one near the bottom. Wire colors are top left white with green stripe, top right black with blue stripe bottom black with blue stripe. Hope this helps.
To ajmartin,
No the steering wheel does not have to be removed, and I used a pop-sickle stick to pry the speedo from the dash to minimize the risk of scratches. Remember patience is a virtue, and only force it if you can afford a new one! As to the turnsignal colors, the above mentioned shop should be able to help. I have not looked inside one of these speedo but on others, it is simply a piece of plastic long enough to cover the arrow holes and glued in place. Mark
Thanks Pingman. That is excellent information. I actually already have the speedo out of the hole. It was the couple of wires on the back without quick connects that were my real concern. Sounds like from yours and everyone else's descriptions that they are in fact the bulbs, so I will pry them out and the speedo should be free. If your diagram is in digital format, I would love a copy. Otherwise, I will just make my own.

Thanks again for this great info!
Old 02-20-2008, 05:46 PM
pingman
Advanced

Sorry it's in archaic format.
Pen and pencil on scratch paper! Good luck. You will be absolutly thrilled with how good it will look when you get it back! Mark

Quick Reply: Bulb removal of speedometer lights