Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Have clutch questions..Need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 09:21 PM
oceanvue
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have clutch questions..Need help

Was racing around last night and started getting the burning smell from the clutch on an '86 Carrera. Clutch is supposed to be new (car is new to me) Today I was getting the same smell.

Questions:
Can the clutch be inspected for wear on a rack w/o pulling tranny?
How hard or how much shop time is an adjustment?
If I need replace it (I hope it just needs adjusting) is there a more durable upgrade?
Old 01-07-2007, 10:29 PM
por29
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Any competent Porsche shop can your clutch. 1/2 hour should do it on your 86.

Bill
www.rudtnersracing.com
Old 01-08-2007, 12:52 AM
oceanvue
Instructor

I guess my question is can a clutch be inspected or atleast an assessment of it's status without tearing it down like for instance inspecting brake pads
Old 01-08-2007, 02:48 AM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, the clutch is sandwiched in between the engine and the transmission, so to inspect it you need to drop the engine and tranny. Big bucks. I would let an experienced mechanic drive the car for you. I don't know, but maybe that smell is supposed to be there if it is a new clutch. If it only smells funny and does not malfunction, it shouldn't need replacement. Are you worried that it isn't actually new?

To adjust the clutch, look at Wayne Dempsey's 101 projects book. I've never done it, but I removed my engine and tranny so I have an idea of what it would take to do it. Not much. Even if you don't do it yourself, reading the chapter will give you the necessary background to communicate with your mechanic.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:31 AM
codyfr
Intermediate

My '69 911 has a brand new clutch (and tranny, and engine...), and it does give off some slight smell sometimes. I think it is just part of getting broken in. I am pretty sure you want to limit your rpms when there is a new clutch too, until it is broken in, but I could be talking out of my ***. I'm no mechanic.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:04 AM
oceanvue
Instructor

It wasn't smelling at first at all (when I recently bought the car) raced around the other night (pretty hard) and it started the "smell". I'm worried I tore up the clutch, It seems to be shifting fine just the "smell".
Old 01-08-2007, 12:11 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't be hasty to say the clutch is bad. It will give off some smell for a short time. Take iot too a local reputable shop and have them check and adjust it. Sounds like it is way out of adjustment. If you wait too long, you may wear it out and really have to replace it.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of shops will run a scotchbrite pad on an air grinder over the flywheel surface nowadays to break glaze. You should still have it adjusted first and foremost.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:48 PM
oceanvue
Instructor

It quit smelling today, I'm getting an adjustment tomorrow
Old 01-09-2007, 12:55 AM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You only have to slip it once for a few seconds to get that nasty smell and it does linger. So you have to think back when you were pushing it, if you slipped the clutch at all. Not really a big deal, just not something you want to do too often or as Daniel Dudley mentioned, the heat will cause the flywheel surface to glaze over time. Don't panic.

Quick Reply: Have clutch questions..Need help