Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Targa's and Golf Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 09:53 PM
bobbigham
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa's and Golf Clubs

Okay, I'm thinking about adding one more ......

My 993 Cab only holds a set of clubs in the front passenger seat, as the rear seat doesn't fold down in a 993 cab.

I have always wanted a 87-89 911, preferably a Targa, with tail. The question is, will two sets of clubs fit in the back seat of a targa with the seat backs folded down? Do the seat backs fold down in a Targa?

I know, not a great reason for picking a car....I want my cake and eat it too. 911, topless and haul the clubs too. The 993 is a PIA when my wife and I go golfing and can't take it. The shark will do it, but on those really nice days, I like to go topless.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:42 PM
bobbigham
Pro

Bump.....cold shoulder on the gold club thing???

This is a reason/ justification for the spouse, not why I want a Porsche, I just want another one...........

Any targa owners out there that play golf?
Old 04-20-2007, 10:48 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,063 Likes on 757 Posts

Hey it's Friday night man , give us a break .... just got back from the driving range with my wife in my Targa with my fold down rear seats

Now what was your question ?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:09 PM
bobbigham
Pro

Iceman.....Perfect answer.....I recently got back from golfing today and had to meet my wife at the course, as my clubs took her seat....

I want the targa, so we can do a trip to Hilton head Island (or other SE trips), clubs in the back seat...otherwise we have to take the Shark...not the worst thing, but it doesn't do topless.....

That's my story and i'm sticking to it....she sort of buys into it, but she also knows that a Boxster could do the job (she wants to replace her Z4 with a Boxster).......not the worst thing either.... but i have always wanted the classic Targa!
Old 04-21-2007, 07:17 PM
early6
Advanced

I just transported 2 sets of clubs for my father-in-law yesterday and with the two rear seats folded down, they fit fine.

Cheers!
Old 04-26-2007, 01:46 AM
tshore
7th Gear

Hi...new to this board. Just purchased '86 targa myself. Being able to haul golf clubs was a must for me. With the seats folded down (yes, they do fold down), there is room to fit a set of clubs - probably two - in the back. You have to wiggle them in a bit, but they will fit. That is, assuming the bags are reasonably small carry-type bags, and if you do not have an extra-long putter in the bag. If the bag is the PGA tour variety, they probably would not fit. In fact, you might be able to fit the Porsche in the bag!

Glad to know there are other Targa owners who play golf...where do you play?
Old 04-26-2007, 10:41 PM
bobbigham
Pro

Canongate Clubs in Atlanta area, Windermere, Olde Atlanta, Eagle Watch (all part of the same group of clubs with about 20 courses).

Yes, the bags are the lighter, carry, stand type bags.

I am waiting for the outcome of a PPI on a 88 Targa, if all goes well then hope to pick the car up in about week and bring it home.

Good luck with your new Targa.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friends Dad had an '88 Targa and he got two clubs in it and was able to fold the seats down. But it was REALLY cramped back there. I am sure he beat the hell out of his interior as well.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:14 PM
bobbigham
Pro

Oooooohhh, I will be gentle with them, I promise.

I can't fit them in the 993 along with my wife........yeah I thought about that too.....
Old 04-30-2007, 06:26 PM
strupgolf
Advanced

My 86 Targa will fit 2 bags in the back with the seatbacks down. I have to take my driver out, but I just place it on top of the bags. No problem.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:52 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have several old towels that I use to cover the bags to prevent damage to the interior. You can also use pieces of an old blanket, sheets, or anything else to protect that interior from damage.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Mysterytrain
Intermediate

I thought that the original design by the good doctor himself was based on one or two sets of clubs being able to fit in the trunk!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:11 PM
bobbigham
Pro

I did not see any way you could fit clubs in the trunk of a 911....let me know if I am wrong, just doesn't look big enough, long enough, or deep enough. They fit in the rear hatch's of the 944, 968, 928, etc..., they don't fit in the 993, 996 or 997, except behind the seat if it is a coupe and you fold down the rear seat. They will fit in the Boxter rear trunk if you put the woods in separately.

Maybe the good doctor had a small bag and short clubs?
Old 05-02-2007, 08:19 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,063 Likes on 757 Posts

Perhaps the Doctor was a midget ?
Old 05-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

I too have heard the clubs were supposed to fit in the trunk. I have not been able to put my clubs with my standard shoulder bag into the trunk or the rear of my '73 911 coupe, with or without the seats down. The car is too narrow there and there is no angle or upright position that helps with the front seats in their normal position. Maybe the later 911s were wider in there or something.

I should add that this might be the bag. The clubs themselves fit fine without a bag. Perhaps a travel bag or similar light unstructured bag would do fine in either the trunk or rear.

Quick Reply: Targa's and Golf Clubs