I'm a leaning REAL HARD here!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'm a leaning REAL HARD here!

Well, I've just got my divorce finalized, moved to another house about a week and a half ago, and NOW, a buddy at work has a 1975 911 widebody, 2.7 coupe 5spd, guards red/black, with approx. 95k miles on it (original?, maybe, sounds like it), he's done TONS of upgrades to it like new paint, electronic ignition, popoff valve/airbox, areo mirrors go with it along with god knows how much more stuff! $7,000.00!!

YA THINK! ?

Hopefully, I'm gonna go see it in the next couple of days, and pull the trigger on it! Ya know!

Thoughts?
Old 05-30-2007, 11:19 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a word of advice. Slow down & count your money first. When I popped out of my divorce in 1990 I almost blindly bought an '82 coupe. If I had, I would have been living in it 6 months later. I didn't realise that I was broke until all of the dust settled. Your situation might be different . . .

Ian
Old 05-30-2007, 11:19 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ken, had the friend at work offered you the car, say, a month ago, would it have saved your marrage? this friend may have done you a huge favor in not offering till now. this way you get 100% of the car and not 50%. very good friend I must say.

sorry about the wife, really. have fun with the car.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:20 PM
JV911
Drifting

g'day

dont know if they made a wide body in 75 except for carrera 3 and even wider turbo

definately sounds like its worth a look though

be sure to get a PPI - some good hints in the PPI thread

keep us posted and post pics when you get 'em

good luck!

JV
Old 06-02-2007, 12:25 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

I pulled the trigger and bought 'er. She's got some rough spots, but, not anything I can't deal or live with............I HOPE. No PPI done, just your good 'ole fashion gut feeling kinda stuff. If it was purchased thru someone I didn't know, and it cost more than this, I WOULD have had the PPI done. I'm getting a whole bunch of extra stuff with this car, like engine analizer, new fillters, oil, Porsche aero mirrors (unmounted), new recardo seats in it, and ton's of other "stuff".

The bad that I see, and know right off the bat. Headliner is in need of replacement, some light, lower dashboard work, new windsheild would be in order, and the BIGGY!......car is hard to shift into, and keep into some gears. I'm feeling, and hopping, that it is mainly due to slopiness in the linkage, and needs some adjustments, and rework.

I shall get some pics up as soon as I can.

Ian. YOUR RIGHT! I REALLY didn't want, or need to get this car right now. Just for the record, the "dust" has settled, at least legally, and there is no worry there. Just the fact that I really didn't want to spend this money on this, right now. However, good deals RARELY come when your ready for them. This is what I feel here, and just hope that it proves out to be a good deal! Time will tell. I've got LOTS of learning to do with this one also!!

Thanks fellas!!

Ken

Car is gonna be delivered to me tommorow on a flat bed truck, as I have not a good means to get it here otherwise, AND, it hasn't been licensed since 2005. Its been sitting in a garage for about 6 months, and spent the last 8-9 months outside under a cover. He has run it every once and a while, but not driven it. It has lots of little "clean me up" items to have done to 'er.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:38 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

good job, now keep her indoors and under a warm blanket. remember that every 911 is a $20,000 car. any dollar you got off that is just a good owner discount that the car will take back from you at some point. every thing you do should be to "restore" her. at her age she is a piece of fine art, not a track car. ok, that's all BS....enjoy the heck out of her.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:29 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

Hi Granite

congrats on the purchase... a few tips and some info.

75 2.7 litre.
These cars were known to have the head studs pull out of the case as you are probably aware. hopefully this has been sorted by your PO but check into it .

If you are going to replace the dash do i while you have the windsheild out as that is a requirement for dash replacement.

Buying ANY Porsche without a PPI is a risky proposition but , hey I didn't get one either. Might be worh a couple of hundred dollars to take to shop and have a POSST purchase inspection , my help you prioritise and see if there is anything major.
AS far as the shifting goes new bushings for the shifter and coupler are cheap, after that it gets expensive in a hurry.

Good luck and can't wait to see the pics.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:44 PM
IslandmanPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a nice deal to me! Can't wait for pictures!!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 03:15 PM
rentadate
Instructor

congrats on the new "art on wheels" purchase. I got mine in some ****ty, but completely good running condition. I have used it as a daily since I got it. It is a shame if it isn't out on the road running. I paid $2500 for mine. It cost me that with the trans rebuild and the engine rebuild just done a year before. Works great! I've only spent a few hundred into on an ignition unit, and a few misc other things that were falling apart...and seat covers. I have the 1975 911s Targa Silver anniversary edition.

I just put mine into the shop for paint and rust removal along with a new dash. The rest I can live with in crap condition for now. (one thing at a time). one thing about these cars, is I've learned that they don't have galvanized steel. But mine lasted something like 25 years before a rust spot came on the car. So that's not half bad. my tip...keep the front end with primer over the rock chips just to make the car not rusted like mine. worked in my BMW for many years.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:23 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry I haven't replied here! I've had just one thing after another going on over here. INCLUDING my DSL hookup crap out on me, thus I'm using DIAL UP right now, and I won't even try pics yet. Hopefully, next monday, I'll get the "promised help from Verizon", in the form of "geek squad", to come over here, and figure out whats going on! I've spent over 5 hours on the phone with these "Verizon techs" and still it won't come back to me! I think I wanna go back to the Direct Way satellite dish!.

Lots of work to do to this car, but, hopefully, mostly cosmetic, clean-up, normal maintenance due to setting for so long. You BETCHA! Its currently in my attached garaged, and its gonna stay safe till I can get some real "loving time" with 'er.

I'll get those pics up as soon as I can. I'm gonna need to do lots of reasearch and ask a few questions of you guys coming up. It seems to run pretty good, and I'm thinking it was a deal I just didn't dare pass up on, even though I"m not sure how long its gonna be before I can show 'er much attention.

THANKS!!
Old 06-18-2007, 03:07 PM
rentadate
Instructor

sorry to laugh at your misery with tech support. But what else do you expect from Verizon? i have their service on the cell phone, as a family share plan, and I have to say...it sucks anus. I get only like 10 text messages outside of the Verizon service. Totally sucks ***. have to pay an extra $20 to get unlimited service.

I have the same problem with Qwest with my DSL service. They keep turning it off for the many neighbors moving in and out of the neighborhood. they turn ours off and it takes them a week to get them back out to turn it back on. Drives me nuts. Then again what do I expect from the phone company? they even turn off my phone line and I have to use my verizon minutes to get a hold of someone to turn it back on. I swear it is one giant conspiracy. It leaves you irritable just like watching The X-Files in the dark and being wired on energy drinks.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:05 AM
WolfeMacleod
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Granite 944

Thoughts?
i think you need to call me!

Oh...and by the way, it's confirmed. John Walker really IS the only guy working there!
Old 07-27-2007, 03:03 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes.........I've been busy. I FINALLY got Verizon to come out and fix the problem with THEIR wiring at the local sub station. GOD, what an experience that was! Its been fixed for some time now, and I still didn't get the pics up that I said I was going to. Well, here a few taken the day it got to my new home. Its STILL sitting in my attached garage, and I haven't had any time to do anything with it yet! I doubt I will get it ready for serious driving until sometime this winter.

Does anyone recognize which aftermartket air dam this might be? PO's daughter rammed this one into a curb, it was repaired, but I do have to get it paint matched. Car comes with a set of brand new uninstalled turbo side mirrors also. I've got my work cut out for me, and I'm anxious to get into it. I just not sure when I'll get started on it. Somehow, I think it will be worth the wait though.
Attached Images       
Old 07-27-2007, 05:42 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

http://www.automotion.com/productpag...dynamic+Bumper

this isn't the one , but I like it. the kid around the corner has yours on his SC and it too is banged up.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:38 AM
lfe132
Racer

Granite,
Bought me an 84 Targa right after my divorce - best thing I ever did. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: I'm a leaning REAL HARD here!