Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Let it warm up or drive it right away?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

rnln: You've got it, except that it's OK to run the engine up to about 4K revs before an up-shift. This insures that the engine will be in operating range after you shift. If you up-shift at only 2.5K revs the engine will have to work too hard in the next higher gear (lugging - your item #2), and you don't want to do that. Lugging is hard on both the engine and transmission, forcing each to operate outside of a desirable rpm range.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:07 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete Z,
Thanks. This is am important piece I just learn. I always thought the lower RPM, the less the engine load. The more rpm, the more things wear.
Thank you all.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Tate
Track Day

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
rnln: You've got it, except that it's OK to run the engine up to about 4K revs before an up-shift. This insures that the engine will be in operating range after you shift. If you up-shift at only 2.5K revs the engine will have to work too hard in the next higher gear (lugging - your item #2), and you don't want to do that. Lugging is hard on both the engine and transmission, forcing each to operate outside of a desirable rpm range.
Is this due to the fact that on average you'll lose 1000k - 1500k rpms between shifts?
Old 09-06-2007, 01:49 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

IIRC, BA has said that teh max stress on the valve train is at or near idle. The idea of faster motion makes for more wear is _generally_ true tho.

A comment on what really happens when an engine is lugged:
http://content.hamptonroads.com/stor...8031&ran=43046
Old 09-06-2007, 03:51 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DARISC
That's because, between the three of them, when it comes to our cars they pretty much in fact do know it all (although each would probably modestly claim that they certainly do not - well, maybe Pete wouldn't ).
Not me, Sir,...

The more I know, the more I find out how much I DON'T know. Ultimate knowledge appears to occur just before your funeral.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:58 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
...Ultimate knowledge appears to occur just before your funeral.
Soooo...if we strive to remain dumb, do we actually live longer ? I may be immortal...

Keith
'88 CE coupe
Old 09-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by rnln
...Maybe I ask what exactly mean lugging? ...What mechanically happen when the engine lugging?...
Lugging is when you try to accelerate in too low a gear and the car bucks and labors and pings until you either downshift or get up to an appropriate speed for that gear. This comes from improper combustion, such as misfires, pre-detonation or "pinging" and even "piston slap."

A good example of lugging would be to drive the car normally up to 15 mph and then put the car into 5th gear. Your engine will probably lug.

The greatest chance for lugging is when the engine is too cold or is very hot.

If you wanted to discuss what might cause misfires and pre-detonation, that would be quite a lengthy response, but I would be happy to share if you wanted to know

To be honest, I've experienced lugging in older, carburetted engine more frequently than fuel-injected engines. Also, you might find lugging is much easier on a high-compression engine than a low-compression engine.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 993 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Not me, Sir,...

The more I know, the more I find out how much I DON'T know. Ultimate knowledge appears to occur just before your funeral.
Steve, you had better take a closer look at your will and make sure it's up-to-date then
Old 09-06-2007, 12:17 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

I know what lugging means now. Thanks. In the past, I had a car which can lug anytime, yes anytime it wanted even at higher rpm :lol:
Thank you everyone for explanation.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:26 PM
dvkk
Advanced

Originally Posted by randywebb
IIRC, BA has said that teh max stress on the valve train is at or near idle.
The stress at red line is much more than at idle.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

"The more I know, the more I find out how much I DON'T know. Ultimate knowledge appears to occur just before your funeral."

When I need a subtle reminder of how much I don't know, I watch JEOPARDY! with my wife!
Old 09-07-2007, 01:25 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by dvkk
The stress at red line is much more than at idle.
- Talking about mechanical stresses, not frictional losses. What you say is nonetheless, generally true -- that is why Bruce's comment that mechanical stress on the valve train was greater at idle than at higher engine speeds stands out in my mind.

Certainly, no one would want to take a cold motor to red line tho, and that is the context of the discussion.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:06 AM
dvkk
Advanced

Originally Posted by randywebb
- Talking about mechanical stresses, not frictional losses. What you say is nonetheless, generally true -- that is why Bruce's comment that mechanical stress on the valve train was greater at idle than at higher engine speeds stands out in my mind.

Certainly, no one would want to take a cold motor to red line tho, and that is the context of the discussion.
I was refering to mechanical stresses. They are much much greater at higher rpms. This is so simple to understand, I can't fathom why BA stated that.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:14 AM
red67
Racer

...just to throw a spanner in the works as it were, whats everyone's procedure for the reverse?
i.e. after you've been out and driven it hard for a fair bit. do you let it idle for a bit or switch it straight off - or doesn't it really matter?

i usually let it idle a bit, check the oil level manually and then top up (or not) and then switch off and put a cover over the car.
I'm often paranoid this cover will catch fire from the heat off the license plate panel and engine lid, or the cover will trap moisture with the car still hot. (maybe this is a little OT)
Old 10-05-2007, 08:35 AM
KC911
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red67
...just to throw a spanner in the works as it were, whats everyone's procedure for the reverse?
i.e. after you've been out and driven it hard for a fair bit. do you let it idle for a bit or switch it straight off - or doesn't it really matter?

i usually let it idle a bit, check the oil level manually and then top up (or not) and then switch off and put a cover over the car.
I'm often paranoid this cover will catch fire from the heat off the license plate panel and engine lid, or the cover will trap moisture with the car still hot. (maybe this is a little OT)
I don't use a cover on my car, but if I did, I'd wait until the car cooled just a bit before putting the cover over the engine compartment, but that's just me. No "idle down" required unless you have a 930, and have really been pushing it, then the conventional wisdom is to let the turbo cool just a bit before shutting down.

Keith
'88 CE coupe

Quick Reply: Let it warm up or drive it right away?