Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Collectibility of 3.0 SC or 3.2 Carrera vs E30 M3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 02:21 PM
SoonerE39
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collectibility of 3.0 SC or 3.2 Carrera vs E30 M3?

I'm just putting this out there for discussion, looking at the pros and con's of either. Recognizing there could be some bias with where I'm posting this, I'll probably post this on a BMW board as well. Once I get my kids out of the house, I 'ld like to get either car to use as a weekend/ sunny day driver and keep it forever. I'ld like to someday be the old guy with a cool classic car and be able to say I bought it back when you could afford one and had it for the last 20 years. Both are cars I would really like to own and keep (who knows, maybe I'll get both someday) and both have pros and cons concerning ownership and collectibility. It's not about turning a profit someday, but having a car that's worth enough that it's worth dropping money in an expensive rebuild or restoration. Some thoughts about both cars. (keep in mind these are only opinions- I've never claimed to be right about anything)

Both cars sold in the mid-30K range when new. A condition 2 E30 M3 appears to run $14-$18k Currently while a condition 2 SC/Carrera tends to run $16-$20K.

The 911 tends to have more of a reputation as an icon and more of a following. But there are far more 911's out there from this time period and many older and newer models that are similar alternatives .

Far fewer production numbers for the E30 M3 improve the chances of it being collectible.

Maintenance/repairs/rebuild costs. As expensive as the S14 motor is to rebuild or do a 2.5 stroker, the 911 is more expensive to maintain and harder for an average mechanic like myself to be able to do much work on.

Any other thoughts or observations you would like to add?
Old 10-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Hogan
Intermediate

You are correct about there being more 911s around than E30 M3s, but you also have to keep in mind, not all of those 911s are in top condition, especially the SC/Carrera, they are at the point were a bunch of people are still buying them as status symbols without any idea of how to drive it, how to take care of it, and so on. And when you compare that to an E30 M3 most (certainly not all, but a lot of them) are extremely well taken care of, those people that are looking for a toy to show people "look how awesome I am" they don't do it in a 20 year old 3-series, which is all it appears to be to the average eye.
So that being said, I think it evens out the planes a bit, the M3 still has the advantage when it comes to rarity at the moment, but over the next say 10-20 years the rarity of the 911 is going to increase as many of them are neglected or wrapped around telephone poles.

I say if you want a really cool collectible car, get a "special 911" like a 930/turbo-look/slant nose/club sport something like that.

Another thing, is that 911 prices are ridiculus, I just looked on ebay at 911's up to 1973 and the prices ranged from about $15k to $45k, so it really depends on what you have, and I know you said your not looking to turn a profit, but in most cases the price reflects the quality and collectibility of a car.
Then compare those prices to a Carrera RS from 72 or 73.
I think if you go the 911 route, I say get one of the rarer versions.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:44 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

M3 far rarer than an SC or Carrera, as you point out. I would get the M3 first and then start looking for a 911.

But I am partial, having driven an M car daily for the last 7 years.

Steve
84 Carrera
00 M5
02 G500
Old 10-20-2007, 08:24 PM
dsmith
Racer

Easily the e30 M3 is better for a collectible. Easily the best for long term aftermarket support, as too many things are cost escalating and NLA on the SC.

Both are pretty easy to work on and cost about the same to buy and maintain.

Get both (especially a Henna Red M3!), park next to each other and enjoy the view!
Old 10-20-2007, 09:22 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Long term the 911 is a more unique design, but you could use an M3 as a daily driver that appreciates so that's twice as good an investment. A rare musclecar is a better investment on this side of the Atlantic, but not a daily driver.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:50 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

might as well be a push, so personal taste trumps all else (esp the opinions of others) - it's your $.
I'd pick what I enjoy driving more.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:57 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had both and I prefer the Carrera as a driver's car. However, the M3 has limited production #s so it will carry that collectibility signature. Get a 74 - 77 Carrera and it's a no brainer.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:31 AM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

bmw m cars are subtle, as most people who are not 'car people' wouldn't know the diff between an '88 M3 or an '86 325es. I drove a 98 M3 sedan for years, and most really did not know the diff between my car an the 328i.

the 911 is a whole diff story. everyone knows what it is, as there is nothing made that is remotely similar.

but I agree with ked, it is all about personal taste.
The following users liked this post:
Mlrjr (09-02-2022)
Old 10-21-2007, 10:25 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hogan
You are correct about there being more 911s around than E30 M3s, but you also have to keep in mind, not all of those 911s are in top condition, especially the SC/Carrera, they are at the point were a bunch of people are still buying them as status symbols without any idea of how to drive it, how to take care of it, and so on.

I think you are way off with this statement. I dont think ANYONE that buys an older 911 is buying it for a status symbol. I actually think that most know exactly what they are buying. M3's on the other hand....from what I have seen are bought more and more by kids. It is a car that is the dream car of the euro ricers much like the Supra and Skyline are the dream cars of all the ricer kids.

An older 911 is usually a persons toy. They have a daily driver, and the spouse has a daily driver. The 911 is taken out for "self" enjoyment, not for the enjoyment of others. It is driven for the fun of it and not driven to some "place", to be shown off. They are driven on the back roads not on some busy street. This is why you dont see alot of older 911's on the road....the driver wants to enjoy it for himself... NOT as a "status symbol" to show off to others.

In my area I see about as many M3's as I do 350Z's....on every street corner. I like their looks and engineering, but I have no desire for the car whatsoever. I have a truck that I "use", and my wife drives an SUV. These are both purpose built vehicles. So as my toy I want something special that can stir "my" soul. There is no way an older 911 can be compared in any way with an M3...sorry.
two completely dif cars.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:29 PM
RacingBeat
Instructor

e30 is a different conversation than the every street corner m3's....
Old 10-21-2007, 05:30 PM
dsmith
Racer

Originally Posted by RacingBeat
e30 is a different conversation than the every street corner m3's....
i would agree. nobody buys an e30 M3 unless they really, really really want one. they are old and relatively expensive. i'm sure there are many more casual buyers of older 911's.

again, the question was collectability and at the moment, the SC and 3.2 are not collectables. the E30 M3 is.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I call it a push, too, for collectability. Gotta go with your own gut. Which do you want to drive or be seen in or hang out with other owners in?

You might also consider the E28 M5. Only brought to the US for 1988. I think only around 1500 examples in the US market. Much more rare than the e30 M3. And prices are about the same right now, maybe even less. The inline 6 in this car has better low end torque than the peaky M3 4 cylinder. Might be better for a driver car. Your call.

Me, I want one of all three. I've got the 911. Need to work on the two original M cars.

Brett
Old 10-21-2007, 07:38 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Brett San Diego
I call it a push, too, for collectability. Gotta go with your own gut. Which do you want to drive or be seen in or hang out with other owners in?

You might also consider the E28 M5. Only brought to the US for 1988. I think only around 1500 examples in the US market. Much more rare than the e30 M3. And prices are about the same right now, maybe even less. The inline 6 in this car has better low end torque than the peaky M3 4 cylinder. Might be better for a driver car. Your call.

Me, I want one of all three. I've got the 911. Need to work on the two original M cars.

Brett
The E28 M5 is a great car as I still lust after one. I traded my E0 M3 to a friend for his E34 M5. I was much happier with the M5 for the same reasons stated above. However, the M5s collectibility cannot match the E30 M3's collectibility.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:50 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Its no secret that I am no BMW fan, but if I were...I would lean towards an early 70's 3.0 CSI or CSL. Maybe even a later model 2002. Those are cool BMW's...but still...they are not in the same feel as an older 911. To me, something like and MGB or TR6 is closer.

If you want an M3...why not just get an old Datsun 510.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:22 PM
rfloz
Advanced

My daily driver is a E46 325ci (kind of a long way from an E30 M3, but still a BMW). I recently bought a 1984 Carrera for a Sunday car - auto-cross, track use, drives up the coast.

The BMW is far more user friendly and an almost ideal commutter/errand car. Sweet to drive, well-balanced, quiet. The 911 is a beast in comparison. No power steering, an engine and clutch that really aren't in their element in stop and go traffic. It's noisy and downright rude compared to the BMW.

But, if I could keep only one, it would be the Porsche, hands down. Every drive is an adventure (albeit not always a pleasant one). The car just begs to be driven hard.

I do most of the work on both and it's a draw as to ease of maintenace so far. Porsche parts are more expensive than 325ci parts; but for an E30 M3, parts are much more expensive, comparable to the Porsche at least and harder to find.

Collectibility, I don't really give a hoot; nor "coolness". Drive a Porsche and you may end up not caring either.

Quick Reply: Collectibility of 3.0 SC or 3.2 Carrera vs E30 M3?