Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

CIS Auxiliary Air Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Porsche8777
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CIS Auxiliary Air Regulator

What is a good way to test this. It is so deep under the manifold that it looks like it will be hard to access with the engine in the car. Even the electrical connection is almost impossible to reach much less release. Any suggestions.

Also see that Pelican list as NLA. Does anyone know a source in case it is bad?
Old 12-16-2007, 02:20 AM
Houpty GT
Racer

It is not that hard to remove, not easy but not hard. I used a long pick to relese the eletrical connector by prying on the metal clip and I used an allen socket and ratchet with extensions to remove the 2 bolts. The hose clamps only need a screw driver.

The Bentley says to pinch the hoses at various times to test there function but I could not figure out how to do this since the one hose is mostly metal till just the end and the other has fuel lines in the way.

I took mine out. If you wire 12 volts up the the AAR it should close in a minute or 2. I put mine in the freezer and it opened about 80-90 % of the way.
With the Fuel pump running or bypassed the electricall connector should have 12 volts across it.

Mine checked out on all of these but it still doesn't seem to be working properly because I do not notice it idling higher afor some reason. Might be a poor electrical connection. I was thinking of rigging up some rubber hoses so I would have somewhere to crimp and test its actual opertion.

The actual test include: Crimp the line with the engine cold and the idle should drop.
Crimp the line with the engine hot and there should be no change.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:18 AM
dsmith
Racer

engine cold: pull the hose off the end, and look with a mirror. should be open hole.
warm up engine (then shut off): pull the hose off the end, and look with a mirror. should be closed.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:59 AM
Houpty GT
Racer

Ah yesssss that is much better. I guess I was hung up on the idea of crimping the line and seeing results while the engine was running.

I would say that using a stiff wire or a straight pick to feel the size of the opening may be easier than trying to see in the dark hole. Might not be too hard with a flashlight though.

http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/1...-%20Valve.aspx
As for buying one you could also buy used. I do not know the failure rate on these things but I have a hunch it is not too high.
Old 12-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Porsche8777
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. The price from Vertex hurts, hope I don't need a new one. At the bottom of the Vertex listing was a good tip to check it. Hook a hose up to it and see if you can blow through it, easy and makes sense. My problem would be closed when cold since the only issue I have is a low idle when cold. I seems that it cold be the temp switch that kicks in the oxygen sensor when the engine gets hot. If it senses a ot engine when cold the sensor would probably try to lean the mixture and cause a low cold idle.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/1...r%20Valve.aspx 78-79

Oh yeah depending on your year you may have to pay a little more. I am going to guess that you have an 83 though. You can also try to clean the valve with Carb or Throttle body cleaner.

Your grammar is a little off above but I think you gave me an idea of looking at the sensors that contribute to the mixture during a cold idle. We may just be having the same problem. I have a 1981.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:04 AM
Porsche8777
Instructor

I checked mine by removing the hose and taking a piece of stiff wire and inserting in the valve. I found that the valve was barely open. Using the wire I opened it, started the car and it worked normally. I warmed the car up and the idle was 950 hot. I will try it again cold and see if the valve sticks closed again. I will probably remove the valve and clean it in any case.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche8777
I checked mine by removing the hose and taking a piece of stiff wire and inserting in the valve. I found that the valve was barely open. Using the wire I opened it, started the car and it worked normally. I warmed the car up and the idle was 950 hot. I will try it again cold and see if the valve sticks closed again. I will probably remove the valve and clean it in any case.
You were able to open it? They are spring loaded so you should be able to move it but it should return to where the bimetallic spring is at a rest for the current temperature.

I have 2 off them and like I said they only open about 80% in the freezer. The also remain slightly open even in the oven set at warm. Applying voltage to the heater will get them to fuly close though.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Porsche8777
Instructor

It was trying to open but was stuck. I just helped it and it opened.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:31 PM
Mysterytrain
Intermediate

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...=AAR+revisited

Quick Reply: CIS Auxiliary Air Regulator