Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Jimmy Deering, Master Porsche Mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Not many here are calling any mobile mechanic.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Advocate-BAR
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback, some informed some opinionated, all is welcome. You may have to wade through personalities but it's that transparency that makes these forums beneficial and keeps them safe by exposing unethical and/or predatory actions by the few, when it's filtered this mechanism is lost. Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act of 1996 basically protects forum operators against anything communicated by third parties (members) so the information should be allowed to stand or fall on it's own merit.

Last edited by Advocate-BAR; 02-08-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Not many here are calling any mobile mechanic.
So this guy isn't invited to the engine drop?

I didn't even turn my back on the car for a smog check and this jimmy dude gets access to people houses??
Old 02-08-2010, 01:08 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Too bad...I think a mobile mechanic is a gread idea. The overhead would be rather low and you could limit yourself to some items...don't have to do a whole engine rebuild. I thought of this Jimmy guy in case I needed a clutch in the future. I know people are innocent till proven guilty...but we are not talking about the american justice system when we are letting people into your home. Not worth my risk ...
BTW, I just read through some Pelican posts about Jimmy...some good, but boy some not so good. It is difficult where the truth lies on this guy. Looks like a good mechanic...but don't give him $$$$ and wait for him to return with a new engine (pelican posts).

abe

Last edited by abe; 02-08-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:56 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just found this on CL Las Vegas.
It's about Jimmy Deering.

Mobile Porsche Mechanic - $60 (Las Vegas)

Date: 2010-01-16, 7:31PM PST
Reply to: sale-kfbpu-1556384990@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

BEWARE - THERE IS A CAR THIEF POSING AS A MECHANIC WORKING IN LOS VEGAS. HIS NAME IS JIMMY DEERING AND HE IS NOT LICINSED AND WORKS OUT OF A VAN AND IS ESSENTIALLY ON THE RUN FROM AUTHORITIES IN CALIFORNIA.

HE STEALS ENGINES AND TRANSMISSIONS SAYING THAT HE CAN DO THE WORK BETTER AT HIS SHOP IN VICTORVILLE, BUT THERE IS NO SHOP AND IF YOU LET HIM TAKE ANYTHING IT IS AS GOOD AS GONE. PLEASE NOTIFY NEVADA STATE POLICE IF YOU RUN ACROSS THIS MAN AND GIVE THEM THE VEHICLE DESCRIPTION AND PLATES. HE IS A SHORT HEAVY-SET BALD GUY WITH BAD TEETH AND TALKS A LOT AND VERY FAST. HE IS A CON MAN DO NOT BE FOOLED. HE IS VERY HARD UP FOR MONEY AND WILL OFFER INSANELY LOW ESTIMATES TO WORK ON AIR COOLED PORSCHES SO THAT HE CAN CANNIBALIZE YOUR CAR FOR GOOD PARTS TO SELL TO SOMEONE ELSE. AS HE IS ON THE RUN AND OPERATES BY EMAIL AND PHONE YOU WILL NEVER SEE HIM AGAIN.

Phil
Old 02-08-2010, 02:25 AM
Advocate-BAR
Cruisin'

Based on Ed's appreciation of my spellcheck-challenged typing it could be mine, but it's not.

I'm aware of two different groups that are actively persuing criminal actions, one in Southern California and another up in the Bay area, I don't know of anyone from Nevada.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:09 AM
movazi
1st Gear

hi
how do you remove the tiptronic elements from the wheel ? do they just pop out if pulled out ?
thx
Old 02-08-2010, 02:37 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Advocate-Bar, Do you own a Porsche? I ask for no reason other than too just establish a common ground with this thread. I would not call a mobile Porsche mechanic, but this guy may be legit. His skills could be very valuable to an established shop I would contend.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:40 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Movazi. You may have better luck in another more appropriate thread for your model of car. The pull-down menu is at the left.
To answer your question, the air-bag comes out first, then small screws.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:04 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

[QUOTE=douglas bray;7292739]So this guy isn't invited to the engine drop?

Old 02-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Advocate has been asked a couple of times what his connection is on this. No response that I've seen. One was via a reply to a PM he sent me.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried to save a bit of money and used Jimmy Deering for an engine drop and replacement of all the gaskets, install a B6intercooler and go thru the whole car from stem to stern to make sure everything was in good order. He came and got my car and flatbedded it to his shop (since closed for non payment of rent and law suit from secretary who wasn't paid for services). I spent $4,000 and an agonizing 4 months of back and forth emails on when it would be done, with excuse after excuse of why...wife was divorcing him, had some personal issues, his van transmission had gone out, would have it done by next week etc. I got the car back finally with an additional 900 miles on the odometer. Must be part of the service to drive it...he told me that I hadn't driven it enough and it needed to be driven before he tore into it. Shame on me. I have an entire series of back and forth emails regarding it leaking, needs attention etc. Finally took it to Ron Kain at IPB in Sacramento and he corrected all the mistakes...BOV left off and line hooked directly into intercooler, E brake broken, back up switch broken and tranny oil leaked out....oil spots all over the garage floor...on and on. I emailed Jimmy numerous times and he kept asking me for details...invoices of what had been done etc. I referred him to Ron at IPB and had Ron send him the invoices for all the additional work as well as explain what had to be done (had to tear out intercooler which Jimmy said was crap) and re-do all the mounting studs, up pipe fitting etc. Several head studs were broken off. All I got was complaints about how I had been in his way when he was trying to do the work, how he had told me that certain things needed to be fixed etc. I have him $4K to do all that an now I get lambasted by him with excuses that things were not his fault. What the hell did I pay the money for but to have it fixed??? What was the $4K for?

At any rate, I told Jimmy that I would not berate him on any forum if he took care of business...he kept answering my emails with demands for more invoices or a plethora of excuses that tried to turn the issue around so it was my fault....bottom line is that at this point I wouldnt' have him work on the car to "fix" anything after he showed me what kind of dishonor he has in his word. I'm just writing off the $4K and will add my name to the list of folks who have PERSONAL knowledge, not hearsay....about his dealings. I do have the invoices from Ron Kain at IPB that show all the things that needed to be done to re-do what Jimmy either did wrong, or didn't do at all. I'm very disappointed in the man...because I trusted him and was flat out screwed. The last conversation I had with him on the phone I told him..."Jimmy, you know you FU***D me and there's no denying it." He responded..."Yes Chuck, I know I didn't do right by you, but I'll come by and fix what needs to be done". He knows he screwed me and admitted it. It doesn't pay to try to save money by going to a shade tree mechanic. From now on I stick with the folks who have known reputations and their word is their bond and word of mouth can severly hurt a business. BTW, it was ME who referred him to Fasteddie who started this discussion thread...I guess he took care of Eddie, but I paid the price for some crappy work. Glad someone was happy. Maybe Eddie's profession had something to do with the service he got.

He may be ok for a tuneup or minor work, but I wouldnt' want him doing any major work....he's a master at robbing Peter to pay Paul...told me he was tied up in SoCal so he couldn't come by and fix my car, then I found out that he'd been in Rocklin and other areas around Sacto workng on other Porsches. A man is as good as his word....and unfortunately Jimmy's word and personal/professional ethics are wanting. I'm truly sorry to have to lambast him, but when I saw this thread, I felt that it had been almost two years since I started down the road with this fellow...and the remedial work was never done....not that I want it at this point, and taking him to small claims court would be a waste of time. Let the legal system give him what's due....and it looks like he has some IOUs out to the DA's office in southern California. Go for the gusto.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:36 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Sorry Chuck. Never, NEVER let somebody drive your car unless they have a million $ liability insurance policy in place. This is huge and a guy working out of his truck is suspect. There is plenty of work out there for a talented technician. He can bring his tools to the shop, pass the drug test, and be scrutinized by a concerned shop owner like every other reputable tech. Or not. I am all for the self employeed, but these are Porsches we are talking about, not Nissan pickups. I would encourage any Porsche owner to visit ALL the shops in his area and interview the owners before taking their car in. Get to know your shop and the people you need to keep your car running. It's a big part of Porsche ownership. Support your local shop.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 285 Likes on 185 Posts

There is plenty of work out there for a talented technician. He can bring his tools to the shop, pass the drug test, and be scrutinized by a concerned shop owner like every other reputable tech. Or not. I am all for the self employeed, but these are Porsches we are talking about, not Nissan pickups. I would encourage any Porsche owner to visit ALL the shops in his area and interview the owners before taking their car in. Get to know your shop and the people you need to keep your car running. It's a big part of Porsche ownership. Support your local shop.
Sure, but if someone was a legit technician that knew their limitaitons, they could work out of a truck and charge what? $60 per hour? At that point the Porsche owner is paying half price, and the technician is making probably double what they would at a shop. Sounds like an interesting concept to me. The fact that someone works out of a truck does not make it any easier to screw you... maybe harder to track down, but that's about all. Look at all the threads regarding the dreaded MM!!! I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, I realize you used to work in the industry (as did I, on a smaller scale), but I think there are valid plusses and minuses to the whole setup. A guy that's going to steal your engine will do it whether you car is secluded in his shop, or safely tucked in your garage. I will also admit that working out of a truck might lead me to suspect that someone does not have the means to own a shop, which does not in itself mean no credibility.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:11 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
I tried to save a bit of money and used Jimmy Deering for an engine drop and replacement of all the gaskets, install a B6intercooler and go thru the whole car from stem to stern to make sure everything was in good order. He came and got my car and flatbedded it to his shop (since closed for non payment of rent and law suit from secretary who wasn't paid for services). I spent $4,000 and an agonizing 4 months of back and forth emails on when it would be done, with excuse after excuse of why...wife was divorcing him, had some personal issues, his van transmission had gone out, would have it done by next week etc. I got the car back finally with an additional 900 miles on the odometer. Must be part of the service to drive it...he told me that I hadn't driven it enough and it needed to be driven before he tore into it. Shame on me. I have an entire series of back and forth emails regarding it leaking, needs attention etc. Finally took it to Ron Kain at IPB in Sacramento and he corrected all the mistakes...BOV left off and line hooked directly into intercooler, E brake broken, back up switch broken and tranny oil leaked out....oil spots all over the garage floor...on and on. I emailed Jimmy numerous times and he kept asking me for details...invoices of what had been done etc. I referred him to Ron at IPB and had Ron send him the invoices for all the additional work as well as explain what had to be done (had to tear out intercooler which Jimmy said was crap) and re-do all the mounting studs, up pipe fitting etc. Several head studs were broken off. All I got was complaints about how I had been in his way when he was trying to do the work, how he had told me that certain things needed to be fixed etc. I have him $4K to do all that an now I get lambasted by him with excuses that things were not his fault. What the hell did I pay the money for but to have it fixed??? What was the $4K for?

At any rate, I told Jimmy that I would not berate him on any forum if he took care of business...he kept answering my emails with demands for more invoices or a plethora of excuses that tried to turn the issue around so it was my fault....bottom line is that at this point I wouldnt' have him work on the car to "fix" anything after he showed me what kind of dishonor he has in his word. I'm just writing off the $4K and will add my name to the list of folks who have PERSONAL knowledge, not hearsay....about his dealings. I do have the invoices from Ron Kain at IPB that show all the things that needed to be done to re-do what Jimmy either did wrong, or didn't do at all. I'm very disappointed in the man...because I trusted him and was flat out screwed. The last conversation I had with him on the phone I told him..."Jimmy, you know you FU***D me and there's no denying it." He responded..."Yes Chuck, I know I didn't do right by you, but I'll come by and fix what needs to be done". He knows he screwed me and admitted it. It doesn't pay to try to save money by going to a shade tree mechanic. From now on I stick with the folks who have known reputations and their word is their bond and word of mouth can severly hurt a business. BTW, it was ME who referred him to Fasteddie who started this discussion thread...I guess he took care of Eddie, but I paid the price for some crappy work. Glad someone was happy. Maybe Eddie's profession had something to do with the service he got.

He may be ok for a tuneup or minor work, but I wouldnt' want him doing any major work....he's a master at robbing Peter to pay Paul...told me he was tied up in SoCal so he couldn't come by and fix my car, then I found out that he'd been in Rocklin and other areas around Sacto workng on other Porsches. A man is as good as his word....and unfortunately Jimmy's word and personal/professional ethics are wanting. I'm truly sorry to have to lambast him, but when I saw this thread, I felt that it had been almost two years since I started down the road with this fellow...and the remedial work was never done....not that I want it at this point, and taking him to small claims court would be a waste of time. Let the legal system give him what's due....and it looks like he has some IOUs out to the DA's office in southern California. Go for the gusto.
Now THAT is the way to write a post ... explaining the situation his personal experience and connection, and how he was taken advantage of ... ( sorry Chuck ) .... that is the basis for a good thread and good discusion ...

Quick Reply: Jimmy Deering, Master Porsche Mechanic