Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Jimmy Deering, Master Porsche Mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:29 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 Auto-werks 3.6. It is a bit of a slippery slope and equitable service comes in many forms. Also, I am not condemning this guy at all. I can say that proper service on a Porsche is difficult and expensive. Shop owners invest a lot of money in the right equipment, parts, and experiance including insurance. Honestly there is not a lot of money in Porsche service and there is no way to get it cheap. The "mobile-tech" is a delicious business model on the surface, and I know a few that have tried it, but there are things that can make a deal go south fast, both for the tech and the customer. I just hate to see a good customer get screwed, and a good tech the same. It's the worst thing in our Porsche community that can happen.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:35 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

a mobile Tech backed by a reputable shop might not be a bad idea if you could make it work .. basicaly a mobile division .... he could coam and service your car ..if need be pull the engine and take it back to a reputable shop to have work done.

Victory Motors using deering as a mobile tech backed by Motormeister may not work though
Old 02-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, the concept of a mobil tech was very appealing to me. For one thing, I wanted to watch the procedure and learn a bit about the way you dropped an engine...how you hooked up certain hoses, or adjusted the CIS system.....and while the engine was out and on the garage floor and he had to attend to other business, I used the time to completely clean up the engine and tranny as well as the engine bay, transaxles, and all those places you can't get to unless the engine is out....so yes, the concept was very appealing. I had seen an article some time ago that highlighted Jimmy's service, and it showed him under a pop-up tent that covered the rear of the car...with the engine out and him performing whatever it was he was doing. I was taken with the idea and engaged him to first take the car....sort of like "I give you the boy, now you bring me the man". My idea was that it would come back to me with everything gone thru, in perfect working order and I was willing to pay for it. No sense repeating what has already been said....but after he brought it back it ran like $hit...so he came back and dropped the engine again and essentially re-did what he was suppose to do. During this process I found crimped hoses, improperly installed parts...the intercooler had been forced into place rather than adjusted to fit properly. (IPB sent it out to have the mounting tabs welded shut then re-drilled so that they lined up properly and shortened the mounting rods in back to get the intercooler low enough to close the lid)...and I was happy to pay IPB to get everything right...to the tune of another $1K which also included re-tapping the head bolts that had been broken off or had short bolts installed that backed out....but IPB put it right and the car runs wonderfully...but there are a couple leaks that Jimmy was supposed to have fixed...and the E brake was broken...BOV wasn't installed and returned to me in the box, he cut up my original muffler off the factory wastegate and put it on the Tial 46mm so that I dont' have the original equipment if I want to retro it back to stock...etc. etc. etc.....let's knock off the whining. Bottom line is that a mobile service like this was a wonderful idea to me, and one that I'm sure would work if it had the proper backing and reputation behind it....one I was willing to pay good money for....but failed to properly check credentials and reputation in the interests of saving some money....RIGHT!! Three dumb$hit points for me and a free one year subscription to Porsche Mechanics for Dummies.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:40 PM
SKYSTAK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The mobile mechanic idea obviously has pro's and con's. For me, I would have loved to take a class on "Engine drop" even though I still have Wayne's book and Bentley. They is nothing like "seeing it" firsthand. Additionally, the PCA locals have limited time to do this stuff so it would be nice if my "dream list" could happen over a week period in some nice weather hotel for a reasonable price. So here goes...

Dream Week: (your experts may vary, but its my list
Day 1 "Dr". Zimmerman show us all how to really do a transmission rebuild
Day 2 Wayne (Pelican) shows us the proper way to drop and rebuild an engine
Day 3 Chuck from ER shows us all the in's and out's of a suspension refresh (including an assist from Dr. Gunther on repacking steering)
Day 4 TBD expert mini sessions:
A. CIS
B. Interior refinishing
C. Valve adjustment
D. Tuning for the track
E. All about tires

My fun is up...
Old 02-08-2010, 10:29 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

i'd just hang out with Steve W for a week and have him show me all that stuff....
Old 02-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Engine drop class being held in San Diego on 2/20. Engine teardown and reassembly during Mar and April most weekends.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Advocate has been asked a couple of times what his connection is on this. No response that I've seen. One was via a reply to a PM he sent me.
Ed, it took some thought, but I think I know who Advocate is. Let's just say he's in the know and he is one of us.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:54 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Good for you to chime in Douglas. Advocate should state his angle however.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

i would have thought if it were one of us he would be more up front .. i would be kind of dissapointed if I learned it was ,, even if legal action were involved.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

If it is who I think it is English is his second language. ....But he does have a coveted slantnose model.
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2010, 07:23 PM
whalebird
Race Car

I think this thread is sort-of...falling apart.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by whalebird
I think this thread is sort-of...falling apart.
OK, I'll call him and see if it is who I think it is....
Old 02-09-2010, 07:35 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

I guess I don't understand the masquerade, particularly if one of us and if wronged. Just post the link and facts as he sees them, and then move on. He would've done his good deed.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:32 PM
BLEW911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just stumbled on this thread.
There was a poster on Pelican that sounded just like Mr Advocate. Always assuring everyone he was only out to warn everyone about Jimmy, but you could read right through his posts. The obvious intent was to damage Deering in any way possible. The Las Vegas CL sounds so similar. It looks like all those Pelican posts have been deleted. ????
I don't know Jimmy,nor will I defend him, but Mr Advocate's intent is obvious to me......and it is not warning others....I believe it it is revenge. Very unpleasant on such a civilized forum!
He knows better than to try this on Pelican...again.

edit: seems the poster I was speaking of had opened a second account on Pelican so no one would know who he was. He was found out.

Last edited by BLEW911; 02-10-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why has this thread gone from the subject of Mr. Deering's less-than-professional demeanor and dealings with Porsche folks to a hunt for the identity of Advocate? I think that at this point, the information has been put out there. I guess you could also accuse me of wanting "revenge" because I was screwed out of $4K...but my intent is to put personal knowledge on the forum for folks to see. We've heard from other folks who have also had less than acceptable dealings with Mr. Deering. I've had personal dealings and have posted them. At this point, I would like to see the MODERATOR just close the thread but leave it open in the archives for folks to do a search on if they're looking for background info prior to dealing with Mr. Deering. He's being looked at by the DA's office and BAR...(Bureau of Automotive Repair)....and at some point once it's been adjudicated, his criminal case should become public knowledge once it's closed and he's been sentenced....but at this point, this thread is degenerating to the Hunt for Red October.....I'd like to see the moderator put a torpedo into the thread and sink it.

Quick Reply: Jimmy Deering, Master Porsche Mechanic