Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 vs. 993

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 11:03 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by holy911
Some have mentioned the 964 as good compromise, but those seem to have the most problems of all the 911 heritage. They're selling for cheaper now, but maybe that's why...issues.
Actually, they sell for less because they are less desired than the cars that came before and after it. The body style (big bulgy bumpers) have turned many people off to it for a long time, although after almost 20 years it is starting to finally be accepted instead of shunned. Personally I like it a lot, and if I didn't love my '86 so much, a late model 964 C2 is the car I'd be shopping for if I could have only one 911.

There's a big difference in the issues department between the '89-90 years and the '91+ years. There's also a big difference in cost of ownership between 2WD and AWD models. Don't lump them all together.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:07 PM
holy911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smshirk
I hate to say it, being the 911 lover I am, but the Boxster S I just bought may be the most fun car I've ever owned. I had a 97 and it was good, but the extra 50 hp makes it great fun. Its not going to last long though if I keep driving it WAO everywhere I go though. I'm getting about 18 MPG driving back and forth to work, but when my wife's with me I get 27 to 29. Something about the sound in my ear and I just have to keep it in the 5k to 6k range constantly. They are dirt cheap right now compared to almost any 911.
Boxster? I never considered those since they just dont do it for me. I'd rather get my first idea of the 911 over those.

What's "WAO"?
Old 10-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Actually, they sell for less because they are less desired than the cars that came before and after it. The body style (big bulgy bumpers) have turned many people off to it for a long time, although after almost 20 years it is starting to finally be accepted instead of shunned. Personally I like it a lot, and if I didn't love my '86 so much, a late model 964 C2 is the car I'd be shopping for if I could have only one 911.

There's a big difference in the issues department between the '89-90 years and the '91+ years. There's also a big difference in cost of ownership between 2WD and AWD models. Don't lump them all together.

+1

I have a question...I don't seem to recall if performance was part of the equation? All I seem to notice as the main criteria is safety and looks.

PS. I have 2 car seats in the back of my 911 for the kiddes to cruise with me. It's not a daily driver...and I prefer to focus on active safety features like precise handling, good acceleration and braking vs the passive stuff like airbags.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:23 AM
holy911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nine11
+1

I have a question...I don't seem to recall if performance was part of the equation? All I seem to notice as the main criteria is safety and looks.

PS. I have 2 car seats in the back of my 911 for the kiddes to cruise with me. It's not a daily driver...and I prefer to focus on active safety features like precise handling, good acceleration and braking vs the passive stuff like airbags.
Hey, nine.

Funny you ask about performance desires. I really don't have any believe it or not. I'm not wanting this car for the performance. I know, I know. Why do I want a 911 you ask? For style. I want the later years for the safety. You hit it on the nose! Heck, if these came in a 4 banger, I'd rather get that for the economy too.

I'm a granny when it comes to driving. Maybe it's an attitude from my days of living in Hawaii, but I'd prefer to just cruise along at 55-60mph if I didn't have a train of cars on my **** with people #$@%@^$@ at me. I'm really hoping to get a Tip tranny so I don't have to raise my arm and shift too. If some 20-something y/o revs on me in his "Fast and Furious" Civic, I'll just wave and watch him burn to the next stop light. Same if a Vette revs with a balding CEO.

Thanks for telling me about car seats, that was a big concern of mine also.

Style and safety, that's it!
Old 10-28-2008, 01:32 AM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by old man neri
-Non power steering can be seen as either a pro or a con. I happen to like the steering the way it is, it is only heavy if you are parallel parking but still perfectly manageable, I have yet to get tired driving that car and I have driven it for 1500mi straight before (twice). ......
I esp. agree with Matt on the above.

As long as you're not prone to anything such as joint pain or tennis elbow you will not be bothered by the marginally beefier steering feel (of the pre-power steering 911 models), even when driven on an everyday basis. Personally I also prefer the sublime feel and weighting of the non-assisted steering.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:40 AM
holy911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paul523
I esp. agree with Matt on the above.

As long as you're not prone to anything such as joint pain or tennis elbow you will not be bothered by steering effort (of the pre-power steering 911 models), even when driven on an everyday basis.

Agreed. These are performance cars, which we mostly want to have better road feel.

At this point, I think the biggest draw of the 993 or even 964 are airbags, ABS, stronger brakes...less maintenance costs? Uh, not sure on the last one. No more 15k valve adjs though.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:48 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

My 911 is actually pretty good on gas. Sure it takes premium but I'm actually surprised how well it does...considering some of the spirited drives we do.

The 911 certainly is a performance car first...with luxury appointments and other things a distant second/third/fourth. From my point of view, the 964 I have is a driver's car. It involves the driver and immerses him/her into the driving experience. It isn't the easiest car I've ever driven, but it's the most rewarding. I love shifting gears, matching revs, hearing the engine/exhaust, feeling the road through the steering wheel...my car isn't the fastest, not the most expensive, nor is it the flashiest, but it's the one that puts the biggest smile on my face. Is it the most comfortable? Not a chance. The sport seats are nicely bolstered but isn't the cushiest. But it's a great car to drive....visibility is excellent and when you're behind the wheel, you feel like you are a part of the car. For these reasons, I don't mind the maintenance costs.

These cars are built like tanks. Very sturdy design and strong. I'm biased but I do love the 964. It tickles all my senses. Sight, sound, smell, touch...okay...I admit my tastebuds are out. I haven't licked my car...yet.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:07 AM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I have an 88 Carrera and a Boxster S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smshirk
I hate to say it, being the 911 lover I am, but the Boxster S I just bought may be the most fun car I've ever owned. I had a 97 and it was good, but the extra 50 hp makes it great fun. Its not going to last long though if I keep driving it WAO everywhere I go though. I'm getting about 18 MPG driving back and forth to work, but when my wife's with me I get 27 to 29. Something about the sound in my ear and I just have to keep it in the 5k to 6k range constantly. They are dirt cheap right now compared to almost any 911.

Boxster? I never considered those since they just dont do it for me. I'd rather get my first idea of the 911 over those.
Take a ride in a Boxster S. It may change you outlook. The 911 is a great car and I always look forward to driving it, but the Boxster S does everything exceptionally well.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:55 AM
holy911
Instructor

Originally Posted by tone40
Take a ride in a Boxster S. It may change you outlook. The 911 is a great car and I always look forward to driving it, but the Boxster S does everything exceptionally well.
thanks for the suggestion. the boxster wasn't on my list since they just dont excite me like a 911.

like nine figured out. i really want the style. but man, the boxster's sure are cheap compared to 911s.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:11 AM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Styling is subjective (I like the upright lights vs the flattened 993 headlights - but I do like the rear bumper of the 993 more than the 964). In the safety department, both the 993 and 964 have ABS, airbags and comfort features like power steering, functioning A/C, pw, pl, etc....
Old 10-28-2008, 08:12 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

"There's also a big difference in cost of ownership between 2WD and AWD models".

Keep hearing similar statements, but still can't find out on what they are based. Anyone enlighten me? I guess the 4WD system could be an extra expense to fix if it went wrong, but I haven't heard of many (any?) that have, and there are plenty of 150-200k 4's out there that don't have issues with the 4WD. Brake bleeding/fluid changes cost 10% more; what else?
Old 10-28-2008, 11:45 AM
racer
Drifting

Hey, nine.

Funny you ask about performance desires. I really don't have any believe it or not. I'm not wanting this car for the performance. I know, I know. Why do I want a 911 you ask? For style. I want the later years for the safety. You hit it on the nose! Heck, if these came in a 4 banger, I'd rather get that for the economy too.

I'm a granny when it comes to driving. Maybe it's an attitude from my days of living in Hawaii, but I'd prefer to just cruise along at 55-60mph if I didn't have a train of cars on my **** with people #$@%@^$@ at me. I'm really hoping to get a Tip tranny so I don't have to raise my arm and shift too. If some 20-something y/o revs on me in his "Fast and Furious" Civic, I'll just wave and watch him burn to the next stop light. Same if a Vette revs with a balding CEO.

Thanks for telling me about car seats, that was a big concern of mine also.

Style and safety, that's it!
If you want a TIP, it will be a 964 or 993 or 996. Earlier cars didn't come with an automatic.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:41 AM
holy911
Instructor

Originally Posted by racer
If you want a TIP, it will be a 964 or 993 or 996. Earlier cars didn't come with an automatic.
Yeah, I knew that. That's also why I'm considering the 993s.

Hmm, still a tough decision. My mechanic says that 911s are a bit more reliable and less expensive to repair than 993s. The engine compartment is more cramped on the 993 and takes more labor to fix. Even an oil change is more complicated. I can see the advantage here goes to the 911 as over time it may be less expensive to keep going.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Yeah, I knew that. That's also why I'm considering the 993s.

Hmm, still a tough decision. My mechanic says that 911s are a bit more reliable and less expensive to repair than 993s. The engine compartment is more cramped on the 993 and takes more labor to fix. Even an oil change is more complicated. I can see the advantage here goes to the 911 as over time it may be less expensive to keep going.
No disrespect to you sir but if the cost difference on a oil change between a Carrera and a 993 is really important in your decision I think the 911 may not be the car for you. An oil change on my 82 costs about $70 and that's doing it myself using non-synthetic oil. This is about as simple as it gets as far as 911 maintenance and the costs go up from there. When it's all said and done it doesn't matter if it's an 82, 88, 92, or 97; if you take it to a mechanic for ANYTHING it's going to be expensive. Good luck in your search.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:46 AM
holy911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris M.
No disrespect to you sir but if the cost difference on a oil change between a Carrera and a 993 is really important in your decision I think the 911 may not be the car for you. An oil change on my 82 costs about $70 and that's doing it myself using non-synthetic oil. This is about as simple as it gets as far as 911 maintenance and the costs go up from there. When it's all said and done it doesn't matter if it's an 82, 88, 92, or 97; if you take it to a mechanic for ANYTHING it's going to be expensive. Good luck in your search.
Exactly. On the 911 you can do it yourself. Whereas with the 993, very difficult to do yourself, requires a hoist. Oil change much more expensive on the 993.

Actually, I had a good 2 hr talk with a P mechanic today. He was great at showing me everything from what to look at on a CarFax report, to where on the engine with the car lifted up to look for a leaky head gasket/broken head stud. The 993s are waaaayyyyy more bank to repair. The 911s much less and some of work I can easily do myself.

So, back to my original vote....911...

Anyone know of any G50 Targas for sale, in blk, or dark blue, with >100k miles?

Quick Reply: 911 vs. 993