Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Just got my first SC...help

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 03:16 PM
g8tr5220
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my first SC...help

I put a post in the members want to buy section but I guess that doesn't get much traffic. I have owned a few other 911s over the years but just bought my first SC it is an 82 with 102k miles on it, looks to be original paint (although the drivers door has had a respray) and in pretty nice shape. Actually the truth on it was I was at a garage sale looking at some patio furniture and came home with it... wasn't my wife surprised! Damn my impulse buying habits.

In any event, here are my questions, it needs seats or seats recovered and a driver door pocket. It has chocolate brown interior, where would you suggest finding these items? Also I need an antenna mast and some small other pieces but I am sure Jeff at Sunset can help me out with those unless someone has a better choice.

Also, because I am not as familiar with this genre... it has color keyed fuch's (red w/polished lip) and a whale tail, was this common in '82? There is no options code sheet on the inside of the trunk lid like in a 993 or 996 so where might that be? I'd like to get it a little cleaner and bring it back to the way it shipped so not sure if I should stay with the color keyed fuch's or bring them to black and delete the spoiler.

And because it is an '82 just to be funny I always wear a jean jacket and aviators, listening to Eddie Money while driving it, not sure if anyone else does this but it definitely irritates my wife, but I get a kick out of it!
Old 11-10-2008, 03:30 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try Parts Heaven for the door panels, and also they may have some seats for about the cost of an excellent recovering job.

Tip: it is not in your short term interest to irritate the wife.

Fuchs: your choice on the color, of course, but black Fuchs with polished rims are my second favorite wheel ever.

Ub
84 911
64 356C
Old 11-10-2008, 04:53 PM
g8tr5220
Intermediate

Thanks for the tip on the wife...

Anyone have any idea what the cost of a good recover might be?

Also, from a driving stand point, it seems like pedal placement is a little odd, the brake pedal is real high compared to the accelerator, honestly the last time I drove an early 80's 911 was in high school and didn't remember this.. is that normal or is there an adjustment to make heel/toe shifting a bit more achievable?

The clutch is just the way I remember it however... I think I need to start hitting the gym again!
Old 11-10-2008, 04:55 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you post some pictures of the car so we can all see what you are talking about. As far as i know, the whale tail was for the 930 turbo only. If you mean carerra tail, then it's possibly original.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:57 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by g8tr5220
Thanks for the tip on the wife...

Anyone have any idea what the cost of a good recover might be?

Also, from a driving stand point, it seems like pedal placement is a little odd, the brake pedal is real high compared to the accelerator, honestly the last time I drove an early 80's 911 was in high school and didn't remember this.. is that normal or is there an adjustment to make heel/toe shifting a bit more achievable?

The clutch is just the way I remember it however... I think I need to start hitting the gym again!
Seat covers are around $500.00 to $1,000 each depending on where you go. The clutch may need an adjustment, and the brake pedal should be on the same plane as the clutch pedal.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:06 PM
g8tr5220
Intermediate

This is the only photo I have with me it is off the phone... sorry but it helps. Also looks like I got the seat issue taken care of, it must have been my lucky day. Thanks to a user on Pelican Parts. After some negotiation this one worked out hopefully...

http://eugene.craigslist.org/pts/910019296.html
Old 11-10-2008, 05:08 PM
g8tr5220
Intermediate

Somehow I messed up on the last post with no photo...
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2008, 05:45 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks like you have the H4 headlight up grade which is really nice to have. Make sure they put in relays as well to go with that up grade.

Also, you have a front spoiler as well as the rear which, the two always go together. As for the rims, if you like the way they are...keep them, if not just repaint them to your hearts desire.

As for the seats, are they torn or just worn? If there are no tears you might get away with something like leatherique. It's labour intensive from what I have heard but cheap.

Another thing to look at is if you have the updated carrera tensioners. You probably do but you should check.

The options sheet should be stuck on the inside of the trunk lid.

Nice car.
-matt
Old 11-10-2008, 11:03 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by old man neri
As for the seats, are they torn or just worn? If there are no tears you might get away with something like leatherique. It's labour intensive from what I have heard but cheap.
Yep, if the leather isn't torn... you may just want to redye with Leatherique.

The product works well. I had a bad experience with customer service - they sent me the wrong instructions and weren't really particularly apologetic or gracious about their mistake. It cost me a tremendous lot of time and work. So I can't give them an outstanding review. But the dye itself is great. And it's cheap.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:10 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 126 Posts

Also, because I am not as familiar with this genre... it has color keyed fuch's (red w/polished lip) and a whale tail, was this common in '82? There is no options code sheet on the inside of the trunk lid like in a 993 or 996 so where might that be? I'd like to get it a little cleaner and bring it back to the way it shipped so not sure if I should stay with the color keyed fuch's or bring them to black and delete the spoiler.

As you know, color keyed Fuchs alloys are not stock. Return them to semi-gloss black centers ASAP.

By 1982 the majority of 911s were still delivered without a tail. My 1981 had retrofitted to it a 1977 tail from a Turbo Carrera,--it was a nice departure from the massive turbo tails, and actually QUITE necessary as I did spend a lot of time exploring the territory above 140 mph. (It was turbocharged,--so it would run to 162 mph).

For handling, the tail is critical. For looks, most go back to a simple deck lid. Good luck with the new baby!
Old 11-11-2008, 09:02 AM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01

As you know, color keyed Fuchs alloys are not stock. Return them to semi-gloss black centers ASAP.
They were stock on my car but mine is a Carrera.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:39 AM
g8tr5220
Intermediate

Any advice on how extensive the spoiler delete is? Would it be easier to just get a new deck lid or where they mounted through existing wholes? I think I am going to change the centers back to black for sure but unsure on the spoiler as it does have the front spoiler as well.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:23 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

You should also consider taking the turbo wing off and putting on a Carrera wing. i think the turbo wings looks too much on these cars and the carrera wing is much nicer.
But yes you can put on a simple decklid. But if you do that you should take off the front spoiler and that would leave holes.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

After tail removal you will have these holes to deal with, along with any mis-placed emblems, wear marks in the paint, etc. I do disagree with "ice" on the front spoiler - I've driven many SCs and 3.2 cars with only a chin spoiler (no tail), and I've never felt anything detrimental in the handling. The cars actually feel better, up around 100 mph, with a front spoiler than without.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 11-12-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:57 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

i just don't think it looks right , I have no comment on the handling.

Quick Reply: Just got my first SC...help