Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

FUCHS refinishing

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:23 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts
Default FUCHS refinishing

Oh God here we go with another Fuchs refinishing thread. Hopefully this will not go forever.

I have been quoted about 200.00 per wheel to refinish my wheels. Although this is a nice car it is not concour and this is my 3rd set of wheels. I looked at them and they are not too bad . a little scuffing on one of the rims . I could live with that.
What is really bad is the black satin has come off and have bare metal underneath. Not sure if primer was suppose to be there or if they have been done before.

I was considering just taping off and spraying to give me just an okay look but i am concerned about the tape edge. I have seen some done and it is obvious where you take the tape off it has a rough edge and looks like crap . Also I imagine it is tough to get the perfect circle shape with tape that is straight.

Anybody have any recomendations or tips on this ?

Thanks
Old 11-25-2008, 02:13 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

If it helps, you have seen my rims, they were done by someone using the tape method. It's kind of nice not having a super expensive paint job on your rims, you are not as worried about them when you are driving around.

Actually I just finished rattle-canning a set of cookie cutters. I used the tape method. I can post a pic or two if you are interested.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:24 PM
rgrimm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rattle-canned mine--Rustoleum Satin Black #7777 is a very close match.

Use black plastic electrical tape. It's flexible enough to get the curves and bends you need and a good crisp line. Peel the tape off when the paint first sets in two-three hours...don't wait for 24 hours or you'll have a more difficult time keeping a smooth line.

I also had metal showing through. I just roughed up the paint with a Scotch-Brite pad and sprayed them...no primer. Still holding up...
Old 11-25-2008, 03:18 PM
stormmaster
Instructor

I used rustoleum semi-gloss black on mine. I wanted something a little shinier than satin black....I know its not stock in appearance but neither is the rest of my car. Cost me very little (2 cans of paint with a lot left over) and a roll of tape.
Attached Images   
Old 11-25-2008, 04:19 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stormmaster
I used rustoleum semi-gloss black on mine. I wanted something a little shinier than satin black....I know its not stock in appearance but neither is the rest of my car. Cost me very little (2 cans of paint with a lot left over) and a roll of tape.
Hey Storm,

Your car is freakin HOT!!
Old 11-25-2008, 04:23 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Storm that looks great did you use electrical tape too ?
Matt I don't remember noticing your wheels, thatis a good thing though. if i didn't notice they must be pretty good.

Sounds like I might give it a go with htese tips. If I screw it up I am no worse off than before and will have them done profesionally.

PS what is a scotch bright pad ?
Old 11-25-2008, 04:28 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Ice,
3M make a masking off tape that is similar in size to "pin stipe" tape ( about 3mm ). It's of a plastic type material and very flexible. You put it on your curved line then you tape to it with ordinary masking tape.
Makes for a very neat paint line no matter what the shape.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:33 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Thanks Frank that sounds like the answer. thin enough to be able to negotiate the circle and plastic to get a nice line. I imagine you have to take it off while still "wet " to get the best line . once it dries you can not help but get flaking right ?

Also I guess I can only have one coat right ? multiple coats would cause a buildup at the line.

As you can tell I am NOT a painter
Old 11-25-2008, 05:14 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I just asked my buddy at the body shop and he said you need to rough tape the line first and then use Fineline masking tape (ultra thin 1/4 inch) to get your good final line.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:18 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Thanks justin. I take that when you say rough tape you mean just tape it close to the finished line, then use the thin stuff to take up the gaP ? also did he say anything about do I take it off wet or dry ? he just uses masking tape ? I thought that would give a boor finish line. !!
Old 11-25-2008, 10:22 PM
bobbigham
Pro

Stormmaster your car really looks great! The semi-gloss look came out really well.

I have the polished fuchs (7 and 9's) on my Targa, but I went with satin black centers.

I have been to a few local PCA events but can't remember seeing the car around (not sure if you attend those).

I'm just over in Alpharetta. Hope I see the car around some time.

Last edited by bobbigham; 11-25-2008 at 10:23 PM. Reason: mis-typed
Old 11-25-2008, 11:47 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Thanks justin. I take that when you say rough tape you mean just tape it close to the finished line, then use the thin stuff to take up the gaP ? also did he say anything about do I take it off wet or dry ? he just uses masking tape ? I thought that would give a boor finish line. !!
Yes, that's how I interpret it. I sent him back an e-mail earlier asking him about how to get a nice edge but he must have left for the day. I should find out tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:58 PM
stormmaster
Instructor

Thanks for the compliments. I just got finished with all but one of the mods I plan to make to the car. Since I bought it 3 years ago, I have install the Duck tail, removed the rear bumperettes and repainted the rear bumper after I filled the holes, I just installed blue RS carpet and RS door panels from Apbiz, installed Recaro LS seats that were given to me (they are now covered to match the marine blue interior, added the Carrera stripe, and installed a 1 off custom sport muffler from M&K. I am not a member of PCA but I plan on joining when I get back in town. I am in Oklahoma on business for a while. I was a member years ago when I had my 70T but never renewed my membership when I got this car a few years ago....I plan on going to 24hrs of Daytona and a few other events....so I will join so I can park with all the other Pcars.

I live in Smyrna. Keep in touch and let me know when and where there are some events. Maybe my brother (jackb911 on the 993 forum) might just show up.

As far as my masking was concerned I just used blue 3m masking tape....it took me about two hours to mask off all 4 wheels and center caps (mine have inlaid 356 hood crests) then I just scuffed up the centers with green scotch brite pads and shot them. I will leave them the way they are until I am ready to paint the car in a couple years....I may go for an RSR finish then...but I like the look of the semi gloss for now.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:59 PM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use fine line tape.

either lay it first before masking tape or after.

don't spray it thick, especially at fine line tape edge. I'll shoot it "dusty" a couple of times. Then a final thin coat. That'll make it less likely to chip.

I wait till it's tacky. I'll pull a hair and use it on the shoot. If it's still tacky you'll know it.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:37 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Sound dooable ..thanks guys

Quick Reply: FUCHS refinishing