Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

That time of year... check your tire date codes...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 06:07 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That time of year... check your tire date codes...

So I pulled the Fuchs & Pirelli Snowsports down from the loft so they're ready to install on the 911 as "emergency" snows, should the Taurus call in sick this winter.

I always inspect the sidewalls & between the treadblocks for cracking, etc. before mounting. Well, this year I decided to actually check the mfg date on the sidewalls. Looks like I'll be shopping around for new snows this year...

Don't forget to check!

"1995", btw.

PS - I checked the snows we bought last fall (late 2007) for the minivan from Tire Rack; they were mfg'd in 2005... so already 2 years old upon receipt. I think I'll be specifying the age of no more than 1 year old at purchase from now on & ship back if they're older.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:50 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

Okay I would like to have a discusion on this one ( what's new ) .

Is this a reality or something dreamed up by tire manufacturers marketing departments.

I mean if you have sidewall cracking, block chunking orwhatever i could understand. Now I know many are going to say Oh the tire vulacnizes and hardens over time .. maybe ... maybe not ... we all know ozone can affect rubber , but to throw out just becasue of date , well I just don't know .

MAybe as the tires get older they don't stick as well , but as long as they are predictable and you know what the tire is going to do i don't see the big deal.

Anyway just opening this up for discusion. BTW Fred I just bought 8 tires from the rack , I'll go check and post manufacuring date .
Old 11-29-2008, 09:07 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Okay I would like to have a discusion on this one ( what's new ) .

Is this a reality or something dreamed up by tire manufacturers marketing departments.

I mean if you have sidewall cracking, block chunking orwhatever i could understand. Now I know many are going to say Oh the tire vulacnizes and hardens over time .. maybe ... maybe not ... we all know ozone can affect rubber , but to throw out just becasue of date , well I just don't know .

MAybe as the tires get older they don't stick as well , but as long as they are predictable and you know what the tire is going to do i don't see the big deal.

Anyway just opening this up for discusion. BTW Fred I just bought 8 tires from the rack , I'll go check and post manufacuring date .
Clive, sounds like the tire guys are in cahoots with Canadian beer companies and their freshness dating.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

sure sounds like it to me ..

BTW I just checked the dating on the Kuhmos I just bought .. 1508 which puts it the thrid wek in April 08 .I love the smell of fresh tires in the morning
Old 11-30-2008, 02:19 AM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Just ordered a set of four 205/50/16 Goodyear Eagles to mount on 16X7's from the Rack. They were mfg'd in 2004 so they're giving them away. $49 per tire plus a $50 rebate when you buy four. That's right four new tires for $146 plus shipping. They will soon be 5 years old and not even mounted on my car yet. But at that price, no matter, I will be shredding them asap anyway! Tire Rack has some great tech info on their website and a section on tire age. They say Europe has age standards for tires that specify 5 or 6 years max. TR claims the age a tire will last varies greatly depending on how it's stored and maintained: i.e. exposure to sunlight, temperature, ozone, etc. Long story short they recommend ten years as an upper limit. Apparently there is no regulatory age limit in the US. Incidentally they feel comfortable selling these 4 year old tires with a full manufacturer's warranty.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:04 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Exactly what i thought ... and if I can't use a tire up in 10 years ......
Old 11-30-2008, 12:04 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Great deal BTW
Old 12-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

I've never had to worry about exceeding any time limits on 911 tires.....My MPSC's are two years old now, and that's a record for me.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:14 AM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
sounds like the tire guys are in cahoots with Canadian beer companies and their freshness dating.
Feel free to use my garage as a drop-off point for all of your obsolete-dated Molson, Moosehead, even non-Cd's Yuengling, Newcastle, Samuel Smith w/b accepted, no questions asked

For my winter car I took shipment of (1) Michelin Alpin from Tire Rack last week to go with (3) identical Mich Alpin snows with 95% tread remaining that I found on craigslist..... & the craigslist used tires were 1 month newer than TRack (9/2006 vs. 8/2006).

I don't think it's an issue if they're sitting un-stressed in a basement or warehouse for a few years.

Quick Reply: That time of year... check your tire date codes...