Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911sc vs Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 911sc vs Carrera

Looking to get a low mileage classic air cooled 911 coupe. Can someone reccommend which are the best to get? The different engines, transmissions, problem areas. What do I look for in each car? Car will not be tracked. I'm mainly familiar with the water cooled ones.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:07 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't want to be a dick but.....search this topic out. It has been covered many many times. They are both great cars. It is more a question of which is best for you

I would also suggest you purchase a book called 'The Used 911 Story' by Peter Zimmerman. It's only about $25 and is essential before purchasing a 911 of this vintage.

-matt
Old 02-15-2009, 08:36 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran the same thing a couple of months ago and got some good info. You may want to go back and research here for similar headings. The porblem with the question is that it has been answered many times and people dont have it in a file to zap you a relpy--- but you can find it with maybe a 1/2 hour of going back. Good luck
Old 02-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Mr. Apex
Track Day

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can confirm this, but I recently heard from a reliable "expert" source that the fuel system on the SCs is prone to deterioration from fuels containing Ethanol. I don't know why the early Carreras would not be similarly affected; however, this could be a consideration in your decision.

I was treading down the same path as you, but after consideration of where I live and how I choose to use the car I decided on a Boxter instead (I can hear the howls from the purists already ).

As always I think the best advice given is "buy the best car you can afford," unless you like The Gold Plated Porsche idea (thanks Steve, great book BTW).
Old 02-15-2009, 09:43 PM
931GT
Instructor

For me it came down to this, CIS vs Motronic. I ended up getting a 1985 Targa Carrera.

I've already been through one battle with a CIS equipped Porsche and was determined not to repeat history. A modern engine management system will definately make ownership much easier. Also, you can get an early 84-86 Carrera for about the same price as an SC.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:52 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Apex
I live and how I choose to use the car I decided on a Boxter instead (I can hear the howls from the purists already ).

The boxster is a great great car. There is no shame in it. I certainly wouldn't get bent out of shape as to what a 'puriest' says. Hell, they all hate me anyways for what I have done and do.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:34 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Here it is, 83SC or 88,89....hopefully that saves you alot of research.
abe
Old 02-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

I love my SC. All you need is a good shop that knows their way around CIS. I have no issues. Good luck.. I think a clean 82-83 or 87-89 is the best of both. Have you driven both? The 915 vs G50 are night and day.. I actually prefer the 915... but you have to drive it to know what you prefer.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:08 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what's wrong w/ the '87?
Attached Images   
Old 02-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Gojets!
Intermediate

Originally Posted by abe
abe
+1 what Abe said!
Old 02-16-2009, 12:26 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

87 rules! (but they are the most likely to need valve guides from what I understand?) 121K miles on mine and no top end rebuild yet. It doesn't leak a drop of oil.

I track it too.

But I suppose if I could have any 911, it would be an 89. Just cause Pete says so.

BUY PETE ZIMMERMAN'S BOOK!!!!

And test drive a few SCs and a few Carreras and decide for yourself. And consider the 964 if you want a slightly more "tame" beast. No two cars will feel the same from my experience.

Oh, and, by the way, BUY PETE ZIMMERMAN"S BOOK!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Apex

I was treading down the same path as you, but after consideration of where I live and how I choose to use the car I decided on a Boxter instead (I can hear the howls from the purists
Nah, the purists will only give you grief about not spelling the name correctly.

Originally Posted by abe
abe
Abe's already given you bad advice: He screwed you out of 4 years of excellent cars.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:01 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got a copy of the fifth edition of Peter Zimmerman's book. It covers up through the 964. I'll take $10 shipped in the US if anyone is interested.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 02-16-2009, 01:35 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My favorites would be late SCs (Euro if possible) and early Carreras. I do not like the G50 (87-89) cars at all...too heavy, and the transmission feels like a vague and poor-shifting, albeit more modern, transmission. The SCs and early 3.2s capture more of the 911 essence. Of course, ask the same of someone that drives a 1970 911 and they'll say the same about an SC.

Some practical considerations:

- Carreras have better brakes than SCs. If you are going to track it, it is something to consider.
- Most Carreras have front mounted (right front inside wheelwell) oil coolers. SCs and early Carreras have the trombone, which is useless.
- Ventilation systems improved dramatically in the late 1980's. You can do things to the older cars to make them better. Understand, though, that the best 3.2 or SC HVAC will be worse than what you'd find on the cheapest car you can buy today.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
Oh, and, by the way, BUY PETE ZIMMERMAN"S BOOK!!!
Thank you, my dear!

FYI: Here's a copy of a post that I wrote a while ago - you might find it interesting:

This thread reminded me of a post that I responded to a few years ago. That thread involved someone who was advised by a shop to not purchase an SC, and encouraged to buy a 3.2 Carrera instead. I can’t find my post, but it was largely a cost/benefit study of the two cars, and went something like this based on hand-written scribbles in my file.

The newest SC is a 1983, the oldest 3.2 is an ’84, and a nice ’81 is only five years older than a good ’86. Needless to say, we’re not talking Model As and Mustangs. The first thing we do is throw out the comparables of the two models. The SC and Carrera, through ’86, all use the same clutch, and engine removal is no more difficult on one as the other. The ’87-89 3.2 cars use a different, more expensive, clutch. It is no more reliable, requires additional labor, and the flywheel, if worn, can’t be machined. I think that it’s safe to say that the clutch is a wash.

Starter motors, shock absorbers, tires, suspension components, brakes, etc., are pretty much the same on both models. SCs and ’84-86 Carreras use a clutch cable; ’87-89 Carreras use a slave cylinder and related hydraulics. Those items can be considered a wash because replacement frequency is similar.

Minor and major services on both models are fairly equal in both labor times, parts, and mileage periods; and life expectancy of alternators, motor mounts and oxygen sensors aren’t different enough to mention.

Let’s look at the “replace once in a blue moon” items. They are reference sensors (3.2), oxygen sensor relay (SC), auxiliary air valve (SC), injectors (both), decal valve (SC), idle control valve (3.2), and throttle switch (3.2). Another pretty equal category, I would have to say.

The biggie repairs are ones that a super-sized wallet can make easier. Each model has a glitch in this category; SCs (some more than others) suffer from broken cylinder head studs, and 3.2 cars (some) suffer from high oil consumption. Cost-wise those two jobs are comparable, certainly close enough to not weigh one model against the other.

All SCs and the first three years of 3.2 cars use the same transmission, the 915, so that’s a wash. Enter the G 50, used in ’87-89 Carreras, that’s a bullet-proof unit that should last at least 250,000 miles. So, the ’87-89 cars edge ahead in our “race.” But wait a minute! The typical SC synchro repair will cost between $1500 and $2500 (more for a “rebuild”), while the typical 3.2 car with a G 50 will cost $5,000 - $8,000 more than a comparable condition SC to buy. Of course, you get power seats and improved A/C along with the great trans. But that, in my mind, is not sufficient cause to eliminate an SC (or ’84-86 Carrera) from consideration.

Let’s explore other typical repairs that SCs and 3.2 cars require over time. I’ll mention here that this is pretty consistent through 200K miles, beyond that many “repairs” become “restorations.” We’ll start with the famous SC airbox; replacement will set the SC owner back $1200 - $1400. On the flip side, the 3.2 Carrera’s air flow meter will fail in a way that the car will still run, but fail its annual/bi-annual smog inspection. Replacement is necessary; and the cost will be $800 - $900. CIS fuel injection (SCs) use a part called a Control Pressure Regulator, aka Warm-Up Regulator. The part is rarely replaced, most often when moisture has entered the car’s fuel system. With moisture present all bets are off for both models! The part is available for about $600, and labor/setup adds another $200. On the other side, 3.2 Carreras have a pair of engine compartment fuel lines that require replacement, which, including intake manifold R&I, will remove about $1,000 from your wallet. Back to the SCs, and a part called an accumulator which will cost about $350 (diagnosis and labor replacement is minimal). 3.2 Carreras have two relatively small issues, one can leave you stranded (DME relay); the other will make the car exhibit unusual symptoms (cylinder head temp sensor). The relay will cost you about $50, the sensor about $350 installed. So, at this point, repair costs are $2350 (SCs) and $2150 (3.2s). Have we got evidence yet that SCs should be avoided, or even be reduced to a second-tier car? I think not.

Upgrades. OK, Carrera tensioners. That’s about it, and so many SCs have had this done it’s almost like they were original equipment anyway. Yes, we can mention anti-roll bars with increased diameters, but don’t forget, if you “must do” them to an SC, you also must “upgrade” ‘84/85 Carreras with them also.

I think that this post clearly shows that either car (SC or Carrera) is worth consideration, and that for every potential purchase condition should be the overwhelming factor. Like I said earlier, we’re not talking Model As and Mustangs here.

Quick Reply: 911sc vs Carrera