Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 secret opps....This is NOT a technical thread about chips(2guys1DP)

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 02:21 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto. Cleaning the AFM is fine, changing the path of the wiper is fine, adjusting the spring is a no no in my book. I know years ago on the 944 FRWilk site he had procedures for refurbishing the AFM, but then he was down for a long time because someone burgalrized his office and got his computers. His site has been back up for a while, but I don't know if all the old info is still on it or not. www.frwilk.com See what you can find there. I can't look at anything. Switches came in today and I've been soldering little tiny pins for several hours and I'm about cross eyed...
Old 03-03-2009, 02:45 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Russell, thanks. I'll take one that you solder tomorrow, with normal eyes. lol jk thanks!
Old 03-03-2009, 04:43 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

I hear ya, now I've got a headache from solder smoke...

This too shall pass. I created a Multi-Board subforum on my support forum, will post more stuff there on it as well. Put some pictures there tonight of the new switches.

G'Night...

Regards,
Russell
Old 03-03-2009, 05:09 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

oooooh...'kay will check em out.

I went back through the setup and test again, then went for a drive.

I found that once the system enters closed loop, nothing that I do can make the system operate below .98 lambda or over 1.01 lambda. No amount of fiddling with the idle screw affects it. I also found that you really have to take the car for a drive to really heat up the lambda sensor.

Upon initial startup and after the idle stabilizes, the afr is around 13.4 then goes to 14.7. After the engine is warm. When I mash the throttle, WOT over 3K rpm is at 13.8 afr. I re-adjusted the idle afr without lambda control (open loop) to 14.2, then re-connected the O2 sensor. That was when I got the 13.4 WOT AFR.

The more I think about it, the more I question whether 14.7 at WOT is correct. 13.8 would provide some fuel enrichment and knock prevention. And when the throttle is anything other than wide open, the afr is stabilized at 14.7.

The system really is magnificent. I got a good chance to see it operate tonight on the road for the first time. I forgot how much I like the cat bypass. I'm thinking maybe the AFM is within spec and I should leave it alone. Your guys' thoughts on this?
Old 03-03-2009, 01:53 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by rusnak
oooooh...'kay will check em out.

I went back through the setup and test again, then went for a drive.

I found that once the system enters closed loop, nothing that I do can make the system operate below .98 lambda or over 1.01 lambda. No amount of fiddling with the idle screw affects it. I also found that you really have to take the car for a drive to really heat up the lambda sensor.

Upon initial startup and after the idle stabilizes, the afr is around 13.4 then goes to 14.7. After the engine is warm. When I mash the throttle, WOT over 3K rpm is at 13.8 afr. I re-adjusted the idle afr without lambda control (open loop) to 14.2, then re-connected the O2 sensor. That was when I got the 13.4 WOT AFR.

The more I think about it, the more I question whether 14.7 at WOT is correct. 13.8 would provide some fuel enrichment and knock prevention. And when the throttle is anything other than wide open, the afr is stabilized at 14.7.

The system really is magnificent. I got a good chance to see it operate tonight on the road for the first time. I forgot how much I like the cat bypass. I'm thinking maybe the AFM is within spec and I should leave it alone. Your guys' thoughts on this?
I'm not sure exactly what your end goal is here. The O2 sensor will have nothing to do with the WOT operation at all. You should not ever have a 14.7 AFR in WOT operation, that would be much too lean. 13.4 WOT is very nice, and I have run as lean as 13.8 with higher octane fuels (92-93), but that is getting close to the danger zone. As far as your CO adjustments go, the basic rule of thumb is the more the barn door is open, the less the effect of this adjustment.

When I started playing with my 3.2, obviously I did everything in the chip maps and didn't mess with the AFM mixture adjustment very much. I experimented with a lot of things. Including changing load variables and thresholds. I considered a full time closed loop operation, and experimented with it, but came to the final conclusion that relying on the O2 sensor that much just wasn't a good idea.

If you want to tinker, AFM swaps are easy, go through your CO adjustment procedure on both AFMs, then go driving and logging. Compare how the two operate. This should also answer your question about your AFM spring being weak or not.

Regards,
Russell
Old 03-03-2009, 04:02 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Hi Russell, thanks. I've had to go through a process of learning about and making adjustments to the engine management system because my car was running poorly and it failed smog. I bought a new cat and a cat bypass about three months ago. I think I am about to get things sorted out finally. I have a second AFM on the way, so I am going to see if anything changes when it is installed. I will probably take it in for the fifth time for a smog check once everything is working.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:16 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

A note on smog check, in case someone hasn't already mentioned this. Schedule your smog check, then about an hour before go out and drive the car HARD, make sure it's really warmed up before you go in for the check.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, when I first got my 3.2 it had a stock chip in it and it failed smog in MA, going back later with my chip in it (in the early development stages) it passed smog, with no cat.

Regards,
Russell
Old 03-03-2009, 08:28 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I forgot to check "the brown wire". It may be disconnected to disable ignition retard. I must sound like a 'tard. lol
Old 03-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Russell, the chips are here, but I'm going to Phoenix for the weekend. I'll have to report next week.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:19 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Russell, the chips are here, but I'm going to Phoenix for the weekend. I'll have to report next week.
Nice, thanks. I did get the msg from Jim last night, just hadn't gotten around to responding because my little one is sick, had to go pick him up from school this morning because his mother is down two employees and can't leave. I'll also have him this weekend so I'll be busy doing little kid stuff...

I'll be around if either of you need me for anything...

Regards,
Russell
Old 03-06-2009, 04:42 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doug, Draco,
I am so ready to hear your guys test result
Old 03-11-2009, 01:00 AM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Appoligies if I did not follow the whole thread.

I would like to see a Mass Air Presure with Throtle Position Sensor conversion for Motronics for my 3.2like RUF or Prototec have done.

Anyone know of anyting like this out there or comming?

Or at least a decent MAF conversion with tempeture correction.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:20 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just checking in here. I have not been able to get togeather with Jim for a chip dip but we should only be a few days out. I made good progress on my 23109(c) charge today. bla, bla, bla. Oh, and it's my birthday!
Old 03-11-2009, 03:26 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by KeithC2Turto
Appoligies if I did not follow the whole thread.

I would like to see a Mass Air Presure with Throtle Position Sensor conversion for Motronics for my 3.2like RUF or Prototec have done.

Anyone know of anyting like this out there or comming?

Or at least a decent MAF conversion with tempeture correction.
Maf we have, the other stuff is already in the works for some other models I make products for, but when available, can easily develop same for the 3.2L as well. Stay tuned...
Old 03-11-2009, 03:27 AM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Just checking in here. I have not been able to get togeather with Jim for a chip dip but we should only be a few days out. I made good progress on my 23109(c) charge today. bla, bla, bla. Oh, and it's my birthday!
Happy Birthday Doug!

I've been battling a computer virus on one of my machines since Friday, it sucketh. Today I conceded defeat and am now in the process of re-installing everything...

Didn't lose anything important, many backups, just PITA to reload my whole development system, again...

Keep us posted...

Russell

Quick Reply: 3.2 secret opps....This is NOT a technical thread about chips(2guys1DP)