Alternator Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 12:40 AM
pairoducs
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Issues?

OK, brand new to these unique air-cooled beauties, so here goes

None of the gauges function on start up. When I rev the engine the gauges come to life but the alternator warning light comes on and stays on. First thing I did was check my belt ... it was OK. The Alternator was rebuilt only 2,500 miles ago. Strange thing is I can drive it for hours and when I come back and hook it to my battery tender it indicates I am at an 80% charge and gets back up to 100% very quickly. So if my alternator is not charging the battery, I guess the initial charge lasts much longer than I thought it would (1988 Carrera).

Next step is to pull the alternator and have it tested unless someone has a better idea.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:46 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,040 Likes on 740 Posts

well put a voltmeter on it while idling and see what you get first if it is below 13 volts ( actually there are very specific value at idle and higher RPM ) then I would say your alternator/ regulator is toast .

BTW you may still be charging the battery , just at a rate below the threshold for the diode. report back what your DVM shows at idale and about 2000 RPM . We will be able to help you better then ..
Old 04-05-2009, 01:08 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should check the electrolyte level in the battery, and clean your battery clamps. The 3.2 Carrera is known to eventually corrode the positive battery clamp, which has to be cut off and replaced. I would also buy a heavier, and longer ground cable at the same time. If your battery is not holding charge, then it has to be replaced.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:24 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,040 Likes on 740 Posts

I think what he is saying is that the barttery will hold charge, but it is not being replenished by the alternator , which makes sense since the light it is on. But for the 100.00 I would certainly throw one in if is does not test well.

Last edited by theiceman; 04-06-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:29 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

does the light stay on with the key off? Or does the light only come on with the engine running?
Old 04-05-2009, 06:07 PM
pairoducs
Track Day

The light stays on with the key off. I just ordered a voltage meter that allows me to test both the battery charge (ignition off) and the alternator (car turned on). I will let you know what it tells me once it gets here.

This is the type that plugs into your lighter socket and gives a digital readout of the charge.

I suspect the alternator is not charging at the right level, but still charging to some extent, since the battery seems to be staying pretty well charged. Perhaps it is just a gremlin that is making the light go on for no reason, but in my experience (limited as it is), generally there is a reason.

I look forward to learning all I can about my new car. Just ordered a Carrera 3.2 technical book. Any other reading recommendations for my education would also be appreciated.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:51 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

If you alternator light stays on with the key off, then your diodes are shot, and you need to get a new alternator.

I would forget about having it rebuilt because Bosch offers an excellent rebuild program. I think a rebuilt Bosch, with warranty, and with a brand new voltage regulator, should cost around $160 if you bring your old alternator with you.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:33 PM
ontario
Advanced

Originally Posted by rusnak
If you alternator light stays on with the key off, then your diodes are shot, and you need to get a new alternator.

I would forget about having it rebuilt because Bosch offers an excellent rebuild program. I think a rebuilt Bosch, with warranty, and with a brand new voltage regulator, should cost around $160 if you bring your old alternator with you.
$160 sounds great and I'd like to know where to get a price like that. The best online price I have seen is $249 at Pelican Parts and they are out of stock.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:49 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Edit: ok, I see what you're saying. $250 is still a good value. Maybe I got the last one off the shelf at World Parts? I have had good luck buying rebuilt Bosch starters and alternators over the years. I'd just call around. Try the vendors in Excellence magazine, or see if you have a World Parts near you. I got mine at Sebring West here locally. I just drove on down there and brought my old one with me. I even pulled my old voltage regulator, not that I'd ever plan on using it.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:55 PM
pairoducs
Track Day

OK ... I finally obtained a voltage regulator (digital that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

Before starting the car, but after turning on the ignition, it reads 12.4. The manual indicates this is the charge in my battery. After warming up the car to operating temp and about 2,000 rpms it reads 14.x.

The alternator light comes on only when the car is running. I keep the car on a battery tender so that would explain the adequate battery charge. The alternator was just rebuilt 3,000 miles ago. Could it be bad diodes or something else that might have been missed with an alternator rebuild?

BY the way someone keyed my new to me 1988 Carrera in two places the other day. Boy am I pissed. I wish I had caught them in the act. I guess the new is now worn off my car so I can relax.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:17 AM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Oh man sorry to read about the ***** that keyed your new old baby. Hope they get cancer and die.

Alternator Light, sure sounds like a bad alternator, do you have a warranty?
Old 04-11-2009, 09:57 AM
ontario
Advanced

I'm no expert but I just dealt with a voltage and alternator problem so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

14.x sounds like the right voltage while the car is running. There's a blue wire at the alternator that is connected to the alternator light. I am not sure at what condition the light goes on but you might want to check the wire to see if it is secure.

BTW, I checked with my Porsche dealer about a rebuilt genuine Porsche alternator. He quoted me $330CDN. When I got there to order it, the price changed to over $700. He was very apologetic but there was nothing he could do. But, the parts guy told me to just order a remanufactured Bosch. He said he worked for Bosch and the remans are just as good as the ones you get from Porsche.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:27 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

there is nothing special about these alternators. You can get it rebuilt for a lot less then $160 at most rebuild shops.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:05 PM
pairoducs
Track Day

The alternator is charging between 13.8 (when I run my Ipod though the stereo) and 14.1 when I do not. The alternator light come on when running and stays on. I have developed a new issue. My tach will stop working and then jump back up the the proper RPMs. It does this off and on while I am driving.

Is there a common link between the alternator light issue and my tach gremlin I should address. I will take a look at all the alternator connections this weekend. Since it was just rebuild 3,000 miles ago I think it must be some kind of loose connection problem.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:45 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
there is nothing special about these alternators. You can get it rebuilt for a lot less then $160 at most rebuild shops.
That's what I did. Took it to the local auto electric place and the guy rebuilt it in about 20 minutes.

Quick Reply: Alternator Issues?