Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help diagnosing problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 05:03 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like the fuel delivery needs to be dialed in. That nut needs to be really torqued to spec with the right crowfoot wrench.

This thread sure is a fun read!
Old 07-30-2009, 05:16 PM
gsmith660
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
sounds like the fuel delivery needs to be dialed in. That nut needs to be really torqued to spec with the right crowfoot wrench.

This thread sure is a fun read!
It was as far as I know torqued to spec with the proper tools. Fun read how so?
Old 07-30-2009, 05:47 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

It's always great to see tech threads with pictures. The application (turbo) is unusual, but I anticpate that you'll get this thing sorted. It's fun from the standpoint that it's a brain teaser on an interesting car.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:55 PM
gsmith660
Instructor

Well I believe I dodged a bullet on this I know this really has no substance to it really but as an indicator I get 40 lbs on all cylinders including the ones not affected turning the motor over by hand so I really think no bent valves now. I did the top end on this about 15000 miles ago and I am sure that I torqued it to the spec and I got the crows foot from pelican. I thought for some odd feeling that you were referring to the pain I was feeling up until I figured out that there probably is no real damage.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:03 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

?? I wouldn't make light of someone's problem. I do like a meaty problem to solve though, and whatever damage might have been done was done. I was referring to the fun of putting the car back together, and seeing the car make good power. Seeing a Porsche break down is not fun, ever.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:20 PM
gsmith660
Instructor

Thanks I wouldn't either I think this is kind of like some other things in these cars they fail in a safe condition the cam landed in a position that left the valves only slightly open or closed all together the only thing bothering me now is where is the roll pin that fell out to stop the cam motionI dont see it any where in the chain housings so I am thinking it is down in the bottom of the motor hopefully I will find it when I pull the sump cover.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,048 Likes on 746 Posts

Well that is interesting, I am sure Pete is gonna have a lot to say when he reads this one. 40lb S? I guess you are just doing a comparative check but you are supposed to get about 120lbs on each cylinder are you not ?
If the timing is gone and your valves are open that might explain the no compresion. I am really surprised you have no bent valves or broken rockers. Sounds like you have definitely found a smoking gun .. heres hoping you can dial her back in and have no furher issues ..

PS have a REAL man tighten the nut this time
Old 07-30-2009, 06:58 PM
gsmith660
Instructor

Originally Posted by theiceman
Well that is interesting, I am sure Pete is gonna have a lot to say when he reads this one. 40lb S? I guess you are just doing a comparative check but you are supposed to get about 120lbs on each cylinder are you not ?
If the timing is gone and your valves are open that might explain the no compresion. I am really surprised you have no bent valves or broken rockers. Sounds like you have definitely found a smoking gun .. heres hoping you can dial her back in and have no furher issues ..

PS have a REAL man tighten the nut this time
That was turning the motor over by hand not under power when I get it back together it I will do a proper compression/leakdown test, I am surprised no apparent damage and a real man did torque it the last time apparently he just did it wrong. By the way I dont think Pete has chimed in on this at all.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:56 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

The pin/key underneath the cam nut washer fell out? Did you also check the cam sprocket alignment? Sorry if I'm asking stuff that you have already checked.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:37 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,048 Likes on 746 Posts

Yeah tht is strange ... some one kick him and see if he wakes up ... So are you just gonna dil the timing back in and give her a test ?
First hand reason why you shut her down immediately when you hear a noise. maybe saved yourself a major repair.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:10 PM
gsmith660
Instructor

I am just waiting on parts, then put her back in and do a compression check with the starter to see what I get then finish the install and start it and do a leakdown, going to put in EDIS ignition as I think some of my problems were not being able get proper advance and no retard out of the stock dizzy so now I am going to just take it out and let megasquirt control everything and the nice thing is when I do the 3.2 its easy to expand it for twin plug in fact when I make up the bracket for the coil pack I am going to add another spot. I did shut it down as soon as the noise showed up.

Quick Reply: Help diagnosing problem