Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help diagnosing problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 01:50 PM
gsmith660
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help diagnosing problem

What do the appearance of these 2 spark plugs tell you.
Cyl. 4 first cyl.6 second
Attached Images   
Old 07-25-2009, 06:21 PM
MY86Carrera
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first one is most likely not firing at all - missing due to oil fouling, the seconf one is still firing but burining lots of oil - sootly deposit, from incomplete burn

- I'm not a mecahanic but stayed a Holiday Inn once

BG
Old 07-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Both are severely fouled: the top one looks oil fouled and the bottom appears fuel fouled but a sniff test will be the difference and thats something I cannot do from here,....

One thing I call tell you is to quit using those horrible Bosch platinum plugs. Nothing worse and almost everything is FAR better. Put in Bosch or NGK coppers and that will help your situation.

After that, you need to see whether you have ignition issues, injector problems, or perhaps broken rings/worn guides.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:54 PM
gsmith660
Instructor

Top one is gas you can smell it the bottom is just caked with carbon both are getting spark.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:32 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Fuel fouled plugs demand a thorough check of ignition wires, plug connectors, cap & rotor, and deal with leaking fuel injectors.

Oil fouled plugs usually indicate a bigger issue: worn out guides and/or broken rings. If you are consuming more than 1 qt/800 miles, its time to take it apart and fix it before it gets more expensive to resolve.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:25 AM
gsmith660
Instructor

Thanks for your help Steve did a comp. check and numbers weren't good I figured this would happen and the way the motor went was such a way there would not be much damage other than the rings and P/C's so I found out my motor couldn't take the turbo as is but boy it was fun for those few (200) miles I drove it. Now I pull the motor and see what happened and go through the motor. It is a 2.7 so I dont know what my options are for making it tough enough for a turbo app. so I can have some more fun while I look for a better platform for this but I will look around I have plenty of 2.7 parts on hand to play with.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:37 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Oil fouled plugs usually indicate a bigger issue: worn out guides and/or broken rings. If you are consuming more than 1 qt/800 miles, its time to take it apart and fix it before it gets more expensive to resolve.
Steve,

Why does it get more expensive to resolve?

I am starting to use oil (don't know the numbers because I keep tracking it and changing it, and I haven't been able to figure it out... but I'm using more than 1qrt/800 miles).
Old 07-26-2009, 10:06 AM
gsmith660
Instructor

He talking about in my case it gets more expensive because the motor was about to come apart on me I probably have broken rings and if I had tried to drive it that way a piston would have come apart. In your case I think he means when you have high oil consumption then there are things in the motor starting to wear ie valve guides,rings (which I am sure I have none left) and such but I wasnt using oil I only had 200-250 miles on it but the dipstick was right were I filled it to.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:58 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm going to guess broken rings - turbo a 2.7 - you are adventurous aren't you...
Old 07-26-2009, 01:18 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gsmith660
He talking about in my case it gets more expensive because the motor was about to come apart on me I probably have broken rings and if I had tried to drive it that way a piston would have come apart. In your case I think he means when you have high oil consumption then there are things in the motor starting to wear ie valve guides,rings (which I am sure I have none left) and such but I wasnt using oil I only had 200-250 miles on it but the dipstick was right were I filled it to.
Got it. I've been worried about valve guides going on mine since I've got one of the worst years for that and it's got 125K miles. Wasn't using any oil until recently. I can't easily track my oil consumption so it's hard for me to judge the state of things.

I think I'll pull my plugs tomorrow.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:35 PM
gsmith660
Instructor

Originally Posted by g-50cab
I'm going to guess broken rings - turbo a 2.7 - you are adventurous aren't you...
It was a science project to see how it would perform and I was impressed I might even fix it back up so I can take my time with the real project.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:38 PM
gsmith660
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911vet
Got it. I've been worried about valve guides going on mine since I've got one of the worst years for that and it's got 125K miles. Wasn't using any oil until recently. I can't easily track my oil consumption so it's hard for me to judge the state of things.

I think I'll pull my plugs tomorrow.
You have a 2.7? Good luck I will pull my motor apart in chunks as I dont have many miles on the upper end and I am confident that it will be ok. Its the lower end I need to look at.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:48 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by 911vet
Steve,

Why does it get more expensive to resolve?

I am starting to use oil (don't know the numbers because I keep tracking it and changing it, and I haven't been able to figure it out... but I'm using more than 1qrt/800 miles).
Hi Shannon,

Valve jobs are relatively inexpensive compared to ring replacement or worse.

Excessive oil consumption leaves heavy carbon deposits that not only raises the compression ratio, but leaves hot spots that trigger detonation and pre-ignition.

IMHO, its FAR cheaper to deal with this proactively, rather than wait until a problem occurs.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:07 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gsmith660
You have a 2.7?
Nope, I've got an 87 3.2L. I was mistaken - it's the fuel lines that were particularly bad that year (which I found out when mine ruptured and sprayed gas all over my hot, running engine).

Steve: Thanks for the explanation. It's been frustrating because I can't evaluate my oil consumption accurately. I've been getting worried and wondering how to determine what needs to be done. I'll talk to my mechanic in more detail about it.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:45 PM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Shannon,

Is this higher oil consumption on the track or on the normal roads?

-matt

Quick Reply: Help diagnosing problem