Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

This week's Comparison: 3.2 Carrera vs DB7 Vantage

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:01 PM
tchanson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Edward
I have never have seen a dog in the Aston family ...truly beautiful genes in the photogenic department.
Then you obviously do not remember the Aston Martin Lagonda, one of the most hideous and wretchedly built vehciles in history...

Tim
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2009, 02:58 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,038 Likes on 738 Posts

looks like a cross between a chrysler lebaron and a lotus esprit..
Old 10-25-2009, 04:22 PM
GaryRC
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
i guess they don't have much to be proud of in the way of cars so hang their hat on whatever they can ...
The DB7 was a bloody Ford anyway
Old 10-26-2009, 01:52 AM
jakeflyer
Pro

Ed, I was thinking about a DB2 or 4 that I was considering and had the $ for in the 1960s. I had just sold a XK140 and had sworn off Brit cars. Not having kept up, I googled the DB7. Here is the not so swell news: ---------------------------------------

The DB7, known internally as the NPX project, was made mostly with resources from Jaguar and had the financial backing of the Ford Motor Company, owner of Aston Martin since 1988. The DB7's platform is an evolution of the Jaguar XJS's, though with many changes. The styling started life as the still-born Jaguar F type (XJ41 - coupe / XJ42 - convertible)designed by Keith Helfet. Ford cancelled this car and the general design was grafted onto an XJS platform. The styling received modest changes by Ian Callum so that it looked like an Aston Martin. The first generation Jaguar XK-8 also uses an evolution of the XJ-S/DB-7 platform and the cars share a family resemblance, though the Aston Martin was significantly more expensive and exclusive.

So, my negative reaction was correct, Jag. It is prettier than lovely. It may be fast when it is on song. But the cost and the all but impossible fix it design, still makes it a no go for me. The $140,000 price tag (new) not being a problem of course-- laugh.

I vote for your Ruby from all aspects given the Aston/many other cars faults consideration. I looked at a Boxster yesterday with a blown clutch that was super cheap. It made the 911 seem like a car that only a fool would not love to work on. So, I continue the 2+ year hunt for the Carrera. Not that the SC will be sold. The Miata is fun and the recent Grand Cherokee 6 cyl 4x4 project keeps the roll around busy until the right car comes along---- did I mention Carrera.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:57 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My next door neighbor has a stunning DB9. It sounds absolutely awesome when he fires it up. He keeps it in the garage but actually does take it out on a fairly regular basis but its just a toy obvously. No idea what the color is called but its a very light metallic silvery blue. Need to buy a lotter ticket!!
Old 10-28-2009, 09:27 AM
ontario
Advanced

Originally Posted by tchanson
Then you obviously do not remember the Aston Martin Lagonda, one of the most hideous and wretchedly built vehciles in history...

Tim
Augh. My eyes.

Speaking of eyes, that car has 8 of them!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:08 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

99% of all the fun you can have in a car can be had in a 911. Whooping an Aston at 100 plus is in that 1% category, and it is that 1% that costs all that extra money.

There does seem to be something about a 911 though that money can't buy.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:11 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Actually, now that I think about it, 101% of all the fun you can have in a car can be had in a 911...

It just won't do it for you, and that only adds to the appeal.

Quick Reply: This week's Comparison: 3.2 Carrera vs DB7 Vantage