Looking at an 82' SC

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:09 PM
scotyp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at an 82' SC

Guys,

Wanted some thoughts from the forum on an SC I'm looking at before I take it in for a PPI.

This car has been well taken care of ....very nice paint and interior,lowered to Euro specs ,head studs replaced(sat in storage),no leaks,tensioners,etc. Drives very nice and everything seems to work fine.

Issues are(always issues) the car had the 85MPH speedometer replaced at 14k and has 45K on the new one. Documents seem to be in order on this as well as the old speedo provided in a box. All Maintenance records since new.
Also, the synchros are going in first and second so will need this job down the road but price has been "adjusted" for this . He thinks 3K for this job. Thoughts on buying a car with known syncro problem and cost to fix it? Thanks....

Scot

Last edited by scotyp; 12-09-2009 at 01:12 PM. Reason: addition
Old 12-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like you have found a bit of a gem...and the seller is being fair with his trans repair estimate. Now, if only I could tell you if the head stud work was done properly...
Old 12-09-2009, 01:39 PM
scotyp
Advanced

Peter, I briefly looked at the invoice for this job and it was a pricey one! No way to tell about the work but he claims stainless steel studs were the replacement.

Did alot of people replace the 85 MPH speedo? The car fax I ran on this car confirmed the mileage issue.

Scot
Old 12-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Saakey
Advanced

Scot, I bought my car under the same situation - 85 mph speedo replaced for a 'real' one. This was 12 years ago... and i haven't looked back since!
If you keep the car long enough and are not looking to bring the car back to 'stock' specs, who cares. We buy these cars because they are a joy to drive, own, and work on. The most important thing is that you take it to a respected Porsche Tech (before you drop your money on it) and he will give you the run-down on the cars mechanical bits. Best of luck! Oh and i'd be willing to bet you couldn't find a car out there with that 85mph speedo on it still.... doesn't make sense. hahaha
Old 12-09-2009, 04:26 PM
wsfowler
AutoX

Scot,

I'm also in the Seattle area and have been browsing for an 80's SC. I've seen the listing you're talking about, but haven't actually seen the car.

Have you seen this one in Centrailia? It might be worth a look. According to the receipts it had a top-end rebuild in 2007. http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/ctd/1501256905.html

It's been listed a couple times on Craigslist now and the posted price keeps dropping. The first time I saw the listing it was $11,500, then $11,000, now they've dropped it to $1 (probably to get it to show in search results). I wouldn't be surprised if you could get it for $10k.

I don't think I'm going to be able to afford a Porsche for a while, but I like to keep my eyes open...

Cheers,
Scott
Old 12-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by scotyp
Peter, I briefly looked at the invoice for this job and it was a pricey one! No way to tell about the work but he claims stainless steel studs were the replacement.

Did alot of people replace the 85 MPH speedo? The car fax I ran on this car confirmed the mileage issue.

Scot
Most (98%) of my customers, back in the day, replaced the 85 mph unit with a "real" speedo. A PPI might be able to guess the car's mileage, but don't press him to do that. Let him tell you if he feels it's accurate, or see if he comes up with, "Boy, it's a nice car, but the odo just doesn't seem right."

The studs (12) should be listed in the parts list, and should be between $22 and $40 each, depending when & where (dealer?) the work was done. They should be listed as "Dilavar" or "993" studs, not "stainless." I suggest that you call the shop that did the work and get a clarification.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:23 AM
scotyp
Advanced

Scott, Yes I have been following that listing with interest and even called on it once. The car has 260k on the clock and has many ,many non-original parts in it. Almost a custom I would say.
Still,looks like it could be a good deal for someone!

Scot
Old 12-10-2009, 06:01 PM
wsfowler
AutoX

Yes, I noticed the 260k on the clock after I'd made the post here.

Good luck with the '82, it looks like a great car.

Quick Reply: Looking at an 82' SC