Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

exhaust note improvement...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 02:30 PM
markaria1
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

B&B headers+ single in 3" out muffler here (no cat) nice sound, but a bit loud (not for sissies lol) and does have a bit of a resonance around 2k rpm... but at full throttle it sounds wonderful and perhaps even a bit "exotic." I did also see an improvement in performance in mostly 3500+rpm driving where she seems to pull harder-verified by two questionable sources: my but dyno as well as my g-tech with both 0-60 and 1/4 mile improvements
Old 12-28-2009, 03:22 PM
Saakey
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YouTube always has what you are looking for... search there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXo7DNJYwOM
Old 12-28-2009, 06:12 PM
911tracker85
Rennlist Member

Saakey
B&B headers+ single in 3" out muffler here (no cat) nice sound
sounds like mine, good explaination. I am looking forward to seeing if I can hear any difference with the Russell Berry system. note: I am changing out autothority MAF/chip with and RB multiboard. also have original AFM cleaned and polished. I plan to try all combos.

I eventually want to get full header system.

I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY OPINIONS ABOUT STREETABLE HEADERS/MUFFLERS FOR 3.2
(used a lot for DE? but I like heat, AC currently working but will go when if has any failure.)

will report when testing done, but will not be until spring.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

B&B headers make great power on a 3.2, and can be bought with heater boxes or without. SSI's have heat exchangers similar to stock.

A high flow muffler should give you good power-lots of choices. I heard and M&K recently, and it sounded nice. I've never seen any reports of how they do in regard to +/- HP.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:03 PM
rgoodrich
Track Day

I have an 81 911 SC with Fabspeed headrers and dual in dual out. Good news: Beautiful sound, definite seat of the paints acceleration improvement. Bad news. Loud at idle, and terrible drone from 1900-2800 rpm. This is prime street use territory, and it is a pain keeping it above or below this range. Also, the adaptor from the heater pipe was not even in the ballpark of being close. My mechanic had to fabricate one from my previous exhaust. The right side header tube runs 2 cm from the oil line from the tank into the engine. Again my mechanic had to fabricate a heat shield.Fabspeed was completely uninterested in solving these problems, despite the $3000 I paid for the system. Higher price apparently doesn't buy you a good design or good service.
I will keep the system, and drive my Lexus when I want silence. If I had it to do over again, I'd look elsewhere.

Robert
81 911 SC with goodies
Old 12-28-2009, 09:58 PM
markaria1
Advanced

with the full b&b system it came with a metal oil line to replace the "s" hose to the tank... also we had to do a bit of fab to get the heat hooked up. And the system cost me 2200 (just the system/no install) 10 years ago so dont feel bad/alone in your experience.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:55 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by rgoodrich
Also, the adaptor from the heater pipe was not even in the ballpark of being close. My mechanic had to fabricate one from my previous exhaust. The right side header tube runs 2 cm from the oil line from the tank into the engine. Again my mechanic had to fabricate a heat shield.Fabspeed was completely uninterested in solving these problems, despite the $3000 I paid for the system. Higher price apparently doesn't buy you a good design or good service.
I will keep the system, and drive my Lexus when I want silence. If I had it to do over again, I'd look elsewhere.

Robert
81 911 SC with goodies
My experience exactly on the cat bypass pipes I bought for the Cayenne. High HP claims, excellent note and true fit. HAhahahaha!

Raspy sound, no real gain and the damn things didn't fit. They advised me to take it to a muffler shop and have them modified to fit. Joey's comment..... "It should only cost about $20." Forget about my time and energy. They offered me a 10% break on my next purchase. I got bit once by the Fabspeed guys. It won't happen again.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:26 AM
whalebird
Race Car

SSI and dual in/out muffler from Monty is a remarkable set up and will get you exactly what you are looking for. The M&K is a really nice piece but my experiance with them is limited. Anything from B&B is bottom quality in my experiance and I've used them in a good number of applications. I am not sure, but GHL may have something for your application and my experiance with their 930 and 964 exhausts systems is very good.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I think the general consensus from most is that B&B is the worst when it comes to mufflers, but there are a lot of people running their headers with no issues. I think I'm going on 6 years with mine.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:15 PM
whalebird
Race Car

+1 Ed. At best, B&B's quality has been "inconsistant". As for headers, SSIs are outstanding, but not for everybody because of the differing exhaust architectures and smog testing and the such. I think B&B can be a good choice for some people, but the choices in quality mufflers have taken the market away from them. There are some great products out there, and none of them are cheap. Opting for a quality exhaust is one of(if not THE) best upgrade for a stock 911 and, the OP in this thread is doing exactly the right thing by asking questions. It's a big investment that transforms an air-cooled 911 and one should seek advice beforehand. I do not like the B&B mufflers at all and I have installed a dozen of them or so, as well as various test-pipes that were very poor in quality. Fit and finish was lacking.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:26 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quit screwing around and just do this....

Last edited by Plavan; 03-07-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:04 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Damn plavan. That aint gonna sound like a Ferrari, or Alfa.
Love the avatar as well. The speeds the factory was getting out of the 911s in the early seventies without wings was unbelievable - 180+. I don't know how fast you've been in a wingless 911, but it can get scary quick.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
Damn plavan. That aint gonna sound like a Ferrari, or Alfa.
Love the avatar as well. The speeds the factory was getting out of the 911s in the early seventies without wings was unbelievable - 180+. I don't know how fast you've been in a wingless 911, but it can get scary quick.
Very scary- 143mph (gps) is the fastest I have gone at California speedway. I maxed out my redline with 16 inch wheels and and "X" 5th gear...... the backend felt like it was off the ground (1850lbs car...) I do not like going that fast- However, I was passing RSR's with huge wings and tires
Old 12-29-2009, 01:52 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

How in the world are you guys passing smog?

Hi Plavan...you're local!! I mean loco....haha j/k!!
Old 12-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

143 mph with no wing would be freaking scary, especially in traffic with hard turns coming up!

Quick Reply: exhaust note improvement...