Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bavarian Coach Werks / Clay Doppke

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 09:49 AM
BCWDaughter
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just as a note on this...I am the oldest of the Dopke children-the pain in the butt teenager that used to answer phones at Bavarian Coach Werkes and whatever else dad (Clay) or the guys at the shop needed done. I may not be able to give details or specifics on most of the cars -then again I may as I was always there- but i can tell you that i have strong ties to some of the guys that worked there and may be able to get details and or pics if we have them of some of the cars worked on there. I have probably the most detailed info about Clay and BCW that can be found if need be. And to clarify the racing---- he raced IMSA cars on the road circuit in the 1970's and early 80's. During the BCW days, he raced his personal cars at the Porsche Club of America events and was often an instructor. I also ask that if anyone has pics of him and or the cars, i would love to have copies as he is dearly missed. As most have probably seen "his demise" as he worded it---yes i have his inherited sarcasm, was met on 10-21-2010. Thanks for your time and kind words about my dad
Old 03-16-2017, 05:53 PM
MTN930
Rennlist Member

Default Help... BCW Porsche Info?

Way late to the party. Like three years since the last post on this thread. I'm hoping that there are still a few memories lurking around in the back of people's experiences and minds....

I was given a BCW car about a year ago. A real oddball, but endearing nonetheless. It is a 1986 911 Cabriolet that has been fitted with a twin-plug 930 engine, a rather large, oversized intercooler, andial intercooler temp gauges, crazy interior appointments (shift lights, radar detectors, "dial of death", wacky stereo, etc.), and a redone front end that mimics a slant nose w/ 928 popup headlights. It also has a DP style engine cover and wing.

Since getting it, I've made a few changes (basically simplifying some of the wiring by removing the crazy stereo, radar stuff, etc), moved the "dial of death" to the engine area, and changed out the wheels/tires for others. Otherwise, it's the same vehicle.

So, I'm trying to figure out its history a bit. I've seen pictures of it in other forums as an example of the excess of the 1980's and as a "cocaine cowboy." Anyone have any idea as to this thing's origin, how it came to be as it is, and some of the details associated with its front end conversion and engine swap? It's a mystery car in so many respects.

Old photos here... and many thanks for the info as you recall.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:24 PM
Aaron Bond
1st Gear

Default Ferrari yellow RUF

Yesterday I was in the presence of one of the 2 Ferrari yellow RUF Porsche's located in North Georgia.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:40 AM
Scrimper
2nd Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope there is still interest out there for the awesome cars Clay built. I was fortunate enough to acquire the Banana Slugger last year and am now in the process of giving it the TLC that it deserves (and has long required)! The car is still based on England. Paperwork has all been completed for it to be legally allowed on the road here and I’m hoping to be able to drive it next Spring. Other projects have delayed progress but we did recently manage to fire the engine up for the first time in over 10 years!
I would love to hear from anyone that remembers the car or worked on it back in the day.
Cheers
Chris

The following 4 users liked this post by Scrimper:
moburki (11-01-2021), RAdkins (07-13-2022), redridge (01-10-2022), Zuffwerks (07-08-2022)
Old 01-10-2022, 12:05 AM
Sam234
1st Gear

Old 07-08-2022, 07:21 PM
Zuffwerks
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BCW 935 crankcase

I recently purchased what seems to be a Clay Doppke 935 crankcase. If anyone has information as to the B.C.W. operations back in the day, please feel free to chime in...

The engine that I’ve acquired is a ROW 930/66 with the letter S punched into the case as shown, probably from Clays “usual 930S slant nose conversion”. Does anyone know the method of procurement for the BCW engine components used in their workshop? I’m trying to explain the 930/66 ROW to myself… Was the crew at BCW purchasing 930 factory inventory off the shelf and stamping them as “S” and “935” for the builds? As you can see this case was numbered 935 in virgin aluminum (not filed off and re-stamped).

I would really like to locate the 935 BCW car this engine belongs to. Out of respect for Clay Doppke’s history, I feel that this engine case should end up in the hands of it’s rightful owner. My original intention was to build a nice ROW 930 turbo for a project car, but after some historical excavation, I’m convinced that someone is out there looking for this crankcase and it deserves the proper home with it’s BCW legacy. Please contact me if you have any relative information or interest in acquiring this crankcase for your BCW car.
Heavily oxidized and dusty but very good overall condition upon further inspection.

I didn’t see this number until I had already purchased the engine and transported it back to my shop to begin the case restoration! It was quite the surprise

B.C.W. ignition distributor block off… probably for crank fired ignition conversion? Was this the standard BCW 935 treatment?

Note the large “S” that was marked separately from the factory 930/66. (In this thread Clay had mentioned his 930S conversions)

Casting flash and high serial numbers make me think this was a Factory replacement ROW 930 crankcase. Anyone have definitive knowledge? Where there any BCW builds on a euro car?

Cleaning up nicely before the wet soda blasting begins

Wet soda blasting underway to gently restore the surfaces

Last edited by Zuffwerks; 07-25-2022 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Details
Old 07-13-2022, 12:31 PM
Zuffwerks
6th Gear

Hey Chris/Scrimper, I tried to send a PM but you’re not a member and can’t accept messages…

I’ve recently and unknowingly purchased a Clay Dopke 935 engine crankcase. I certainly will never own or restore a BCW 935, and after some research, I wouldn’t consider using this crankcase for any other reason. Take a look at the detailed photos I’ve posted on this thread, I’m very curious about your banana sluggers engine type, the engine number, “S” and “935” markings, etc. My goal is to find the proper home for the 935 crankcase that’s in my possession.

Cheers,
Matt

Last edited by Zuffwerks; 07-13-2022 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-23-2022, 08:49 AM
Scrimper
2nd Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Slugger update

Hi Matt, I did get your message and sent a response but not sure if it got through. Send me another with your contact details and I will get in touch.

Works are progressing on the slugger slowly but surely. As is often the case, the more you strip back the more that needs doing so the scope of the works has grown significantly from what I first expected but I want to do the car justice and have everything done properly. Engine is being cleaned up with parts repainted / plated, new hoses etc. body paintwork was bad with many different shades of yellow from previous sections being repainted so am just waiting for the car back from body shop before we start putting it all back together. Will send some photos when we get there.
Cheers
Chris
The following users liked this post:
Zuffwerks (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 07:10 PM
Zuffwerks
6th Gear

Chris, we can’t wait to see your Banana Slugger restoration once it’s complete! Take some pictures of the engine while it’s out of the car, we’d love to see that power plant in all it’s beauty.

Here’s a prettier picture of the unknown BCW 935 crankcase after a quick soda blast restoration. (The first pics were quite abhorrent with all of that oxidation)

Old 01-26-2023, 09:41 AM
WERK-I
Pro

Hi All,
Found this on PCarMarket.com.......one of Clay Doppke's Bavarian Coach Werkes creations. There's something about Cassis Red Metallic. It has a lot of depth, but it is a light purple after all . It's a love-hate relationship.
Bavarian Coach Werkes
Old 02-05-2023, 02:16 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by WERK-I
Hi All,
Found this on PCarMarket.com.......one of Clay Doppke's Bavarian Coach Werkes creations. There's something about Cassis Red Metallic. It has a lot of depth, but it is a light purple after all . It's a love-hate relationship.
Bavarian Coach Werkes
I've always liked Cassis Red Metallic. I think it's really pretty on a linen or grey interior.
Interestingly enough the first 930 I ever drove, a 77, had BCW/Dopke full bay intercooler. I'm also currently working on converting one of these to a long neck for use on my 930, primarily because I like the old skool look of it, and it is known to be very efficient at cooling.
Old 12-10-2023, 07:08 PM
fixinit
2nd Gear

Default Possible 930 conseco motor

Originally Posted by hencar
Hi JoAnne,

We miss you in Arkansas! It is a small world, because I saw your friends car last week at Steve and Rick's place and I nearly to have dropped my keys. You don't see a 935 Ruf Turbo around these parts often. I even took a test drive with Steve in the car. Man that car is fast a stink.

Later that day I met your friend and he explained pretty much the same issues you described in your original post. He needs some work done on the car but did not have any specifications. He told us the Conseco story and the history of the car's purchase in Ohio and then subsequent conversion to the 935 specifications. An absolutely amazing low mileage automobile for sure.

As you already know, researching Bavarian Coach Werks and Clay Doppke is near impossible. Aside from finding your post, using Google, BING, Yahoo or other search engines is virtually useless. I emailed a friend of mine I sold 356 parts to who lives in Dayton and he said Bavarian Coach works and Mr. Doppke left Dayton 10 - 15 years ago and is now in Florida somewhere. I had another friend who said he thought he ended up in New York at a Porsche dealer.

Perhaps the Conseco car has the same specifications as your friends car here in Arkansas? Perhaps the two Steve's need to talk and compare car notes?

As to you friend's car, I did see that it had a very early Electromotive Fuel Injection system and it was twin plugged. The unique header system produced a throaty howl and Steve, Rick and I estimated the actual horsepower of the car to be about 350 - 375. The trailing arms do not look like standard 930 arms and we assumed they were original to the 935. It also had a unique interior and some unusual Recaro sport seats with the controls facing upwards on the bolsters. It had Ruf decals on it but I don't think there is any connection to Ruf.

I will continue to look for clues on the car and will post what I find.

Take care,

Henry Carraro
hcarraro@hughes.net
  • I was wondering if anyone could shed light on a motor I just bought from a storage unit seller out of Montgomery Alabama. Engine was on the ground. As far as I can tell the block is from a 1985 turbo euro spec, double distributor, efi , and two permatune and two coils. Looks heavily modified. I was told this was Jose consecos motor out of his 1985. No paperwork to prove it. But I’m anxious to do a project with this. No trans attached. Assuming it failed. Engine has been sitting for a while. Turns over fine.

I have exhausted Google and my fingers. To no evail.
Old 12-11-2023, 03:42 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

The numbers posted in the first two pics are casting numbers while the last photo is the serial #.
This looks like a 3.2 Carrera engine that has been twin turbo'd and obviously twin plugged using a 993 distributor. And based on the serial number shown, this one did not start life as a turbo eng.
Can't remember what the 3 would indicate, but if it was a factory turbo engine that 2nd digit would be an 8, and the "type number" stamped in the flat surface slightly behind the serial number boss and to the left temp sender would be 930/66
The letter F indicates that it is in fact a 1985 unit, while the next five digits are simply the build sequence.

As for Clay Dopke, I think I heard that he had passed away a few years ago,, maybe discussed or stated earlier in this thread.
Old 12-11-2023, 04:40 AM
fixinit
2nd Gear

Default Any help

Originally Posted by onboost
The numbers posted in the first two pics are casting numbers while the last photo is the serial #.
This looks like a 3.2 Carrera engine that has been twin turbo'd and obviously twin plugged using a 993 distributor. And based on the serial number shown, this one did not start life as a turbo eng.
Can't remember what the 3 would indicate, but if it was a factory turbo engine that 2nd digit would be an 8, and the "type number" stamped in the flat surface slightly behind the serial number boss and to the left temp sender would be 930/66
The letter F indicates that it is in fact a 1985 unit, while the next five digits are simply the build sequence.

As for Clay Dopke, I think I heard that he had passed away a few years ago,, maybe discussed or stated earlier in this thread.
thank you for the response. This motor is so confusing. So someone swapped dual plug heads, twin turbos , dual distributors, guessing bored it out and added efi? Who other than RuF would do something this clean and is there a way to determine it’s a Ruf. See attached video for a walkaround

Old 12-11-2023, 09:42 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fixinit
thank you for the response. This motor is so confusing. So someone swapped dual plug heads, twin turbos , dual distributors, guessing bored it out and added efi? Who other than RuF would do something this clean and is there a way to determine it’s a Ruf.
I'm thinking this motor is a euro Carrera motor that has been turbo'd. I think it could be an early Protomotive/Prototech set--up but it is definitely not a RUF motor.
All the components of the fuel injection are stock Carrera with the exception of the distributor, and permatune set-up, the aluminum vacuum pot on the rear left side, and the plate on the side of the throttle body, and of course the turbos.

Again, look for and post the number on the case behind the serial number boss, it should read 930/XX or something like that.

Quick Reply: Bavarian Coach Werks / Clay Doppke