Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Radio Shuts Off Under power

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:46 PM
talane
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Shuts Off Under power

Wierdest thing...I had a stereo professionally installed and this is what occurs. The radio will shut off when I add power or shift. It will come back on when I have the clutch in or take it out of gear (basically idling). It shuts back off when I release the clutch and add power. The stereo dealer and I are baffeled. I suspect it has something to do with the voltage regulator but I am no expert by any means. What do you guys think.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:25 PM
pingman
Advanced

I have an '87 911 that had similar issues. I professionally installed mine, (yeah right), but after hitting a bump the radio, (cd), would quit. I thought the removeable faceplate was the reason, certainly not my installation. Saw a tech hint in bently about fuse blocks causing wierd things to happen to circuits. Replaced the fuse block, (20 bucks?), only six wires if I remember, no more radio problems. And to think I damn near broke a brand new radio working on the faceplate! Hope this helps, Mark
Old 05-24-2010, 12:15 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

This could be a voltage regulator. Check the voltage on the battery while revving the engine. If it goes over 14.5V then the VR is suspect.

If the VR is failed it should reach ~16 or 17 volts.

Don't drive the car in this condition or you could damage other electronics.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

Ditto on the voltage regulator. Even if it's not the problem make sure the car isn't overcharging when hot. Hook a volt meter to the cigar lighter and drive. They usually act up more when the engine is smokin' hot at rpm. I've seen them go as high as 18v.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

Maybe Scotie is diverting all power to the engine ?
Old 05-24-2010, 09:52 PM
talane
Instructor

Thanks gentleman. I'll try that.
TheIceman I'll trade the radio for any added power to the engine.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:06 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

If the shop you brought it to cant figure out the problem they should not be in bussiness. If it was your voltage regulator and you were seeing more that 14 volt (16+), it would not shut off it would burn the radio out from too much voltage. I personally had an issue with my fuse panel, It had a crack in it and every once in awhile my radio would shut off. The fuse was getting loose. If you have a multi meter put it on dc votage and connect it to the ground and first the switch power. See if you are dropping voltage. If not go to the ground and the constant lead. See if you see a voltage change.
If you want you can call me and I will step you thru some simply test.
SoundFX- John- 845-928-9099 10am-6pm mon-sat.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:43 PM
talane
Instructor

John, Thanks for the feedback. I'll give you a call and hopefully you can walk me through it. On another note. I'll be looking for speakers to replace both the door and rear speakers. Thanks again,
Old 06-01-2010, 05:57 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

This may or may not be helpful. My car detects high demand and shuts off power to the a/c (Yep, I can leave it on at DE; it keeps me cool until I hit the track). Did they use that lead when wiring in your stereo?
Old 06-01-2010, 06:05 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,044 Likes on 743 Posts

wow that would be quite the technology to have that capability on a 88
Old 06-07-2010, 01:11 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

Didn't realize it was an 88 (Guess I should check the cars you list). But then, you know Porsche -- always ahead of the curve ...
Old 06-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Uber 911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by talane
Wierdest thing...I had a stereo professionally installed and this is what occurs. The radio will shut off when I add power or shift. It will come back on when I have the clutch in or take it out of gear (basically idling). It shuts back off when I release the clutch and add power. The stereo dealer and I are baffeled. I suspect it has something to do with the voltage regulator but I am no expert by any means. What do you guys think.

When it cuts out do you loose all power, ie - the memory in the head unit is wiped, pre set radio channels, bass, balance,etc.. ?
Old 06-10-2010, 09:44 AM
talane
Instructor

Been away for a bit... I do not loose all the power. It just turns off and will come back on when I take it out of gear and let off of the power. I seems to happen when the car has warmed up and power is applied to the accelerator. I was in my driveway in neutral and would rev the engine and the radio will shut off as soon as I let off the pedal it will come back on. very strange..
Old 06-10-2010, 11:07 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I have seen this exact problem and very likely it is your voltage regulator. The radio has a protection circuit (Zener diodes) built into the system to shut down in case of over-voltage. I suspect your radio is a newer unit.

If you keep doing this, you are likely to damage the DME and cook your battery.

Please put a volt meter on the battery or cigarette lighter and repeat the test. I suspect your voltage will be greater than 16V.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:44 AM
talane
Instructor

Thanks ScottC. I'll test it. I should go ahead and replace it. It cant be too difficult, so I think.

Quick Reply: Radio Shuts Off Under power