Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Intro and questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 05:13 AM
madmax54
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro and questions

Greetings from the mountains of NC/Tenn. I am 56, been involved with cars since the late '60's. Of course I've always wanted a 911, and I've had about all the machines I ever wanted except the P car. I have studied the wonderful info in this forum for about 3 months now, reading everything available about picking the right car, trying to be analytical and objective as possible. I am actually getting serious enough about a purchase to sell a car I've owned for 12 years in order to start the financial ball rolling.
I have quite a bit of experience with mid 80's Jettas, so some of the electrics and EFI areas are familiar to me. It appears that my budget will be somewhere in the early 80's arena, and I found an '82 SC that was near enough to actually look at this past weekend. The owner knows little about things mechanical, so his mechanic took pictures of recent maintenance work as it was being done, "for the benefit of potential buyers". It is obvious he takes pride in his work. The car is very clean, well maintained, garaged, and sounds incredible! I am very interested.
Question 1-The sunroof upholstery has come apart and is trashed. How difficult is this to repair?
Question 2-The color is what I would call British Racing Green, (sorry I didn't get the code.) It is the original color, and has a few chips and blems, nothing that would kill a deal for me. How rare is this color for this model?
Regards,
Madmax
Old 11-15-2010, 06:10 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Madmax,
I recently did the roof liner of my 76. and it wasn't too difficult. you just have to remove the front and rear glass. It is possible to remove the sunroof itself and then take the upholstered bit out and just fix that if that's the only bit that's tatty.
As far as British racing green goes, I've never seen it on a 911 but I love that colour, I say if it passes a PPI and it's in your budget, go for it!!

Good luck and once again welcome from the land of the original Madmax
Old 11-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Paintscratch.com lists moss green metallic as available for the 82 SC. This is a dark green metallic. Not a common color. Was the paint metallic? The owner should be able to easily find the paint code stamped on the plate on the driver's side A-pillar and give you numbers.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 PM
madmax54
AutoX

Thanks, psychoideas. Yes, the sunroof itself is the only area that is bad, and it looks almost wadded up. I am hoping my buyer comes through with his part this week, the garage space is needed for this deal to work.
Brett, I believe that you have nailed the color. It looks almost black if it is not in direct sunlight, but when the sun hits it, the metallic lights it up! It is actually a very nice color with all the black accents on the car, I just can't remember seeing another one like it. I'll see if he can come up with the code.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Search google images for "moss green porsche" for some pictures of Porsches in moss green.

Brett
Old 11-16-2010, 06:38 PM
rgrimm
Instructor

or here...

(you're right...a lot of people think it's black until the light reflects off it).
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2010, 07:06 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

It's a good time to replace the window deals while the glass is out for the headliner replacement as the originals tend to be dry rotted or shrunken with age.

Be sure to only use window seals from Porsche for a good fit instead of the cheap aftermarket route.

Also, 82 is the best year

Good luck

John
Old 11-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Good luck, definitely not a common color.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:24 PM
madmax54
AutoX

Thanks to all! rgrimm, that is the car, minus the whale tail! I plan on doing a PPi as soon as my own sale is completed. The underneath of the car actually looks as good as the top. The engine has been detailed very well, and as I said before, it sounds incredible. This may be the one, I'll keep you all posted.

Quick Reply: Intro and questions