Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1975 911S - Barney

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 03:47 AM
oldschool914
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my 911S for about 8 years ...just sitting, but now it looks like I'm about to get it work on.
Can't wait.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:21 PM
privatepang
Advanced

Yeah once u get it running it'll be sweet! Wow 8 years is a long time!

Latest update, just ordered a replacement suspension pan + gas tank support from restoration design! Also booked in the car for a repaint. Keeping the same colour but the passenger side defitnely needs fixing up so might as well just do the whole car. Hopefully get the car back just in time for summer!

Minimal oil leaks now as well so loving the fact that it's pretty much turn key now.

Brake fluid and tranny oil change will be done tomorrow

Old 02-01-2012, 01:55 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by privatepang
Also booked in the car for a repaint. Keeping the same colour but the passenger side defitnely needs fixing up so might as well just do the whole car. Hopefully get the car back just in time for summer!
Stunning 911!

How much of the original paint is left on this car? I know you have mentioned the passenger side is a bit dull, but I'd be very hesitant to cover any original paint. Remember, it's an old car, so it does not have to have perfect paint!
Old 02-01-2012, 03:30 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Aburgine was always a great color for a 911!!
Attached Images      
Old 02-21-2012, 08:34 PM
privatepang
Advanced

Yeah I do like the colour and hence why it's getting repainted in the very same.

Theres are small rust bubbles forming and im getting the susp pan redone so might as well get repainted.

Im unsure if the passenger side is original paint anyways as no clear coat and doesnt look all that great so rather get a uniform colour.

Going in next week so will be without Barney for 2 months
Old 02-22-2012, 03:58 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First I've caught of your thread. That colour is great, and the all black Fuchs look a tad outlaw, I love it!
Bet she will be fabulous when you get it back from the paint shop.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:43 PM
privatepang
Advanced

Yeah paint shop has pushed me back 2 weeks so will be giong in mid march now. Replaced the hood struts and the rear deck lid strut. So much nicer not having to hold up the hood with my head!

Thanks for the compliments guys
Old 04-27-2012, 01:32 PM
privatepang
Advanced

So since the last main update, car has been running well enough that we decided to test it by driving from Vancouver to Portland. Did the Oregon Coast drive which to date is one of the best drives I've done. Miles and miles of coastal twisties. Heaters on this isn't great but we were lucky to get warm weather during our trip. Only have 1 photo uploaded at the moment but the Mrs got to drive parts of the twisties. Up to date, if my odometer is correct, I've been getting 300 miles city driving out of a tank which isn't too bad. It's a 80L tank i think? On this road trip, we got 550 hgihway miles which we were pleasantly surprised and there was some aggressive driving on the twisties. We ended up in Portland and got to watch a OKC / Trailblazers game which was epic. All up we did about 1500 kms and had no issues

We are planning on moving back to Sydney end of this year & will be shipping Barney back so decided to get the car in for paint as labour here is a bit cheaper than aus. Found a trustworthy autobody place as well so bit the bullet and decided to get the rust repaired and get the car repainted all in 1 colour(Sticking with purple). The clear coat on one side of the car is non existant so that's been bugging me for ages.

Car is still at the autobody shop but here are a few pics

Passenger door had the most amt of rust before we started this process

This is the piece that was cut out from the bottom corner

Lucky autobody shop had a good welder and repaired it properly by welding in a new steel piece rather than just use filler and fibreglass

Suspension pan was quite rusted when I got the car.

Battery tray was actually rusted through

Had to buy a brand new suspension pan piece(from Restoration design) and get a new battery tray welded in. They have done an awesome job on this!

Spot welds used to repair rust pin holes in the fender

hood needs a fair bit of work as well

So now just waiting on primer and then full repaint so i'll have a consistent shiny purple all round! Cant wait
Old 05-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Wiese
1st Gear

Privatepang:

Where are you getting your rust repair and repaint done? How much are they charging for all of this? PM me if you are not comfortable posting publicly. I also need to get this stuff done, but my rust through actually looks worse!

Kay
1973.5 911T 2.7S (aubergine)
Old 05-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MESSAGE FROM THE PORSCHE GODS:

Cover the leather seats prior to stacking metal parts over them!!! They were stitched by Fraulein Helga in Germany!!!! Or face the Porsche God's wrath!

Ps. Loved the black painted Fuchs...really matched the Aubergine finish... congrats!
Old 05-06-2012, 06:09 PM
privatepang
Advanced

So been doing a little shopping. Sold my H1's on pelican to fund purchase of a new pair of H4's and still have change over to buy a new steering wheel. A lot of ppl will disagree i know but end of the day, I prefer brand new lights to period correct but older ones so pulled the trigger.

Here are the pics of the H1's (Already sold)

Here are pics of the brand spanking new H4's off evilbay

I bought the czech made bosche genuine H4s.

Bought new bulbs and the headlamp relay of PP.

Will get them installed once the car is back from paint!
Old 05-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Nothing wrong with new and putting money in your pocket, but going H4's from H1's is going backward in performance.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:04 AM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 475 Posts

Congrts on your 911 ownership. Get it cleaned up and have fun restoring it then driving it. 2.7 engines are fun units if the head stud corrections were done correctly, very free rev'ing units. I love my 75 and its my long trip highway car above and beyond any of the others. ENJOY!!!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:23 PM
privatepang
Advanced

Latest news: car should be coming out of paint next week. Will be going to check up on it tomorrow night.

I'll be recutting my door cards out of MDF boards.

Decided to buy new seats as well. Been tossing and turning between the recaro pole positions or GTS Classic seats. Decided to go with the more period correct looking seats.

Fortunately, I was able to find a guy through PP who lives in Aus. Got a used seat from him for a great price and he packed it really well. Got it delivered to my parents place in Sydney and i'll be installing it once the car gets shipped back.

Its the trimmed in Cordory/Leather. I've just ordered a matching seat from Stefan @ GTS and can't wait for it to arrive. (Scheduled for end of June) Here are a few pics.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:09 PM
cali4sun
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing such a nice find! I really enjoyed reading your updates and pics! Keep up the good work...

Charles

'89 928S4 GP White/Black lsd, rmb
'76 912E Silver/Black sunroof

Quick Reply: 1975 911S - Barney