Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Targa project.... WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 12:56 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't be afraid to haggle when it comes to used parts. Think tightwad. Like a duck's ***.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:25 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I always look online for what they are selling on pelican prior to buying. The pedal assemble is pretty sweet.....

Photos of the pedal assembly, bumper (that need some sheet metal work) looks ugly but it's not bad, and the new suspension pan.

I do have to give a shout out to AIR Automotive Innovations and Restorations. They worked on BB2 Jack Olsens car. Real nice guys. George the guy who sold me the roller has been helping me source new metal and dolling out advice on a as needed basis....which is often. Nice group of guys.

It's kinda crazy how going back old school Porsche really brings out the Porsche Nuts..... not the modders, or tuners. But out right Porsche nuts who's heads still have marks in the their crowns from birthing from an intake manifold.

Not much work is going to happen this weekend, Soccer/Referee training Saturday including uniform pick up. OMG I'm the coach for the kids soccer team. Talk about REAL pressure!
Attached Images     

Last edited by Eharrison; 03-17-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:52 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rusnak
Don't be afraid to haggle when it comes to used parts. Think tightwad. Like a duck's ***.
I've squeezed a couple ducks ***. I didn't want to grill him. He wasn't really selling it (wife pressure). And he's got a crap load of stuff I want that he's selling. I just dont need it now. But yes, I squeeze hard....ducks don't like me.

Last edited by Eharrison; 03-17-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:12 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Well, then you probably float
Old 03-19-2011, 12:40 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Hahahahah! First stupid mistake! So I finally had time to look at the box that the welder came in.............. Wrong welder. [DS]Face palm[/DS] Already in the return process.

Well it's the weekend and I have a lot of grinding to do..... Also, so what's the best primer? Are their grades of primer? I don't want to leave the metal bare for too long.

Saturday is Soccer stuff for the kids, Sunday is car day....
Old 03-19-2011, 03:50 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

You might go through a few welding tips. Wear a good full face helmet, buy some welder's eye drops. If you can get a 220 to work, then great. But a lot of people feel safer w 110. I would reccomend a night course in welding at the local adult vocational college. Very fun, usually about 2weeks and worth it.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:11 AM
AussieRacer
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Such a great project !

- Rob
Old 03-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Apparently, a workforce lockout today.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Apparently, a workforce lockout today.
HA! Apparently trusting Clayton's assumptions for who's at the door is not a good idea yet.

So what were you selling exactly? I can't believe that happened....
Old 03-21-2011, 06:19 PM
sj340
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow.Great project.I have never seen a car so far gone and with so much rust that someone attempted to actually get running again.
I will enjoy keeping up with this one.

Good Luck!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:59 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts

Don't give up, check out what my friend's doing to a 73 Targa. Great story and will be a unreal car. One of those "money is no object" projects http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ars-later.html
The pictures of the red car is what it looked like about eight months ago. It will soon look the day it left the factory
Old 03-21-2011, 11:08 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Been, and will continue to watch this one. Looks to be a great save and a heck of a lot o work.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sj340
Wow.Great project.I have never seen a car so far gone and with so much rust that someone attempted to actually get running again.
I will enjoy keeping up with this one.

Good Luck!
I don't know if this is a snub or an honest compliment! In all honesty there's not much rust. Just enough to justify a welder!

Originally Posted by HkPlinker
Don't give up, check out what my friend's doing to a 73 Targa. Great story and will be a unreal car. One of those "money is no object" projects http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ars-later.html
The pictures of the red car is what it looked like about eight months ago. It will soon look the day it left the factory
I read that one from front to back a while ago. Very nice! This is not going to be a period correct that's for sure!

Originally Posted by SeanR
Been, and will continue to watch this one. Looks to be a great save and a heck of a lot o work.
Yeah there's a lot of work but I enjoy getting little things done all the time.
This weekend, after the fog cleared from the Saturday party (partial reason why on Sunday when I asked Clayton who rang the door and he said, "A salesman", I replied, "Oh whatever don't bother"....Little did I know it was Ed Hughes. Which makes me feel like an ***.)

Well I removed the right trailing arm. Both rear calipers and ground the front bumper to look for rust. Not a lot done but it was some. Almost had all the rotors off but I needed an impact screw driver (yay more tools!) and two M8 bolts to push the rotors off. Which I did today after work and the oil change on the Audi.

I also need to get a tierod puller, I'll buy one when I order some of that Wurth self etching primer from Pelican.

One question. In the first photo I have those anchor points in the vent windows, what are those for fog lights? I'm thinking of cutting them out for ducting for an oil cooler.
Attached Images      

Last edited by Eharrison; 03-21-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

I've got a tierod fork, we're meeting my bro-in-law for early dinner in Temecula Saturday, I could drop it by.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:33 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I've got a tierod fork, we're meeting my bro-in-law for early dinner in Temecula Saturday, I could drop it by.
Sweet. There's no soccer games yet so Saturday I will be home. I'll be answering the door!

Quick Reply: Targa project.... WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART.