Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking for convertible will it drive like my coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:01 PM
rigger
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for convertible will it drive like my coupe

hey all looking for opinions. I had an 85 euro 911 for many years, like an idiot i sold it and now after 3 years I gotta have my 911 back! Think I want to get a convertible this time around, what are the pluses and minuses about a convertible over a coupe ( no targa wife hates the look for whatever reason) if any?

Looking for an 86/87/88 model year are prices still about the same for a convertible as the coupe Ok one for about 15 nice one for about 20-22 really really nice one for 25-28?

Thanks all! If you have one to sell let me know!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:19 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts

I have an 88 turbo cab and a mid year targa. I only notice a little shaking over RR tracks. You can add a strut brace on the front shock towers if you want. It's a little softer, but not too much.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:43 PM
racer
Drifting

85 euro coupe, if left euro spec, was rated at 231hp. It may also have been lightly optioned (?). A US spec cab is about as heavy as they come. Also rated between 207-214hp. So, from a performance standpoint, I would expect a cab to be a tick or two slower.

87+ are G50 trans. 86 and older use a 915. Some are die hards for one or the other. I imagine Cab tops can be pricey to replace/repair especially if bows are bent. Certainly get a PPI and happy huntings!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:23 AM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depends on how sensitive you are too the coupe. Some people would say they all drive the same but some people can tell the difference between one coupe to another coupe. They are all a little different. So if you are one that can tell the difference from one coupe to another coupe you will certianly notice the difference of a cab.

For one thing it is heavier. That always changes the driving experience.
The second thing is there is just more inherent flex in the body which also changes the driving experience.

A couple of other issues with a cab is they are noisier. They just make noise, rattles creaks and have more wind-noise with the top up. The other thing is they like to leak.

IMHO If you want a cab get a roadster. If you want a 911 get a coupe.

I agree, I don't like the look of the Targa either with the wrap around rear window and the roll hoop. I think it ruins the lines of the car, and don't particularly care for the cabs either.

I do like convertables and they are great fun, but that is why we have a BMW Z3 and a 911 (964) coupe and not just a 911 cab.

Coupes are just never the same after you cut the roof off, and a 911 is a coupe, and a cab is just a coupe with the roof cut off for all practical purposes.

As far as pricing, cabs don't comand the dollars the coupes do, so you can usually find a like for like cab for less than a like coupe.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Helios59
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

+ 1 on all of the above....

.....but on a sunny 70-degree morning all on a country back road, all the drawbacks fade away and you're left with pure motoring bliss.

How's the weather in your area? Can you drop the top more than a couple months a year?
Old 04-21-2011, 03:34 PM
rigger
Track Day

Wow, As always great points all, I live in the ATL (reason for the Cab) great weather 9 months out of the year!! But Mak.......your idea is very appealing just gotta convince the wife to sell the plane to afford both the cars....never thought Porsches were like Aircraft you gotta have one for one type of flying and another to do another type......Love this idea!!!

You are right there are much better Convertibles than the 911....I was also looking hard at the Mercedes 350SLK, it's hard right now to get both.....But one thing I do know I miss my 911!
Old 04-21-2011, 04:25 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I feel uniquely compelled to respond as I have owned a Targa, a Cabriolet and now a coupe.

Like most things in the porsche world - the condition can determine 97% of the experience.

So to answer your first question - will it drive like my coupe? the answer is yes. You may experience some cowl shake over railroad tracks - but my advice would be not to spend an inordinate amount of time driving on railroad tracks.

Are cabriolets heavier than coupes? Yep - Mainly because they have additional steel reinforcements in the door sill area and are built on the Targa body (which also has additional reinforcements) If you search for a cabriolet, probably the best advice I can give is to look for a cabriolet with a manual top. The electronic top was a stop gap for Porsche to compete with the Mercedes. Along with their AC and Electric systems, not Porsche's finest hour.

So - some cabs leak - but not all cabs leak. Some Targas leak - but not all of them. Actually my coupe (with it's pop out rear windows) probably leaks more than my cabriolet did - and the Targa had more wind noise than the cabriolet did - so really not fair to speak in absolutes.

A well set up cabriolet can be very rewarding to drive. The combination of open skies and the flat 6 wailing has to be one of the most excellent sensory treats on the planet. Trust me on this one.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:34 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

and for comparison purposes
Attached Images    
Old 04-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Vino
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think cabs are super cool.

I was looking for an older 911 that I could just cruise in and enjoy. The car is 90% of a stock coupe in handling and gives you the extra benifit of top down enjoyment.
I have no preference, I was looking for the best 911 I could at the time and ended with a cab from 87 with 45K on the clock , 4 years have passed, now she has 48k...long story...

Opinions above are good ones. Try to find one with a manual top, non electric. I thought Porsche decided to make them all electric after 86 but I guess it was an option. Mine is manual top, you gotta unzip the back window anyway and you save like 30 or 40 pounds without all the electric motors and cables.
No water leaks when I wash the car, stayed outside once and of course we had a serious down pour with no water inside.

The canvas top is a $1800+/- replacement, you maybe do it every 20 years, not a biggie.

If you're in Colorado, I'd be happy to show you mine and welcome to take it for a spin, it's bone stock.

If I had an option at the time I was looking I would get a low mileage 930 or 89 Speedster, but from a cab, coupe and targa , you'll be happy with any if you find a good one.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Just curious as to how you picked 86-88? You're leaving 3 years of Carrera choices on the table by doing this.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:25 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Something tells me he wants a G-50. ...3, 2, 1....
Old 04-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by salukijac
Something tells me he wants a G-50. ...3, 2, 1....
That doesn't work out based on 86-88 focus.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:22 AM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Roger that...but that is not what I think he meant. We all know how superior g-50 are vs. 915s
Old 04-23-2011, 03:27 AM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Roger that...but that is not what I think he meant. We all know how far superior g-50 are vs. 915s
Btw Jeremy...love your former cab...one of my favorite colors.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:56 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

We all know how superior g-50 are vs. 915s

and we also know how superior the G-50 equipped '86 yr models are. Sorry OP, just having some fun. In all seriousness, I hope you know that the 3.2's are unique in that there were two gearboxes for this model of the 911.

Quick Reply: Looking for convertible will it drive like my coupe