Brake Lights only work with heavy pressure

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 04:00 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Lights only work with heavy pressure

Hi all,

I've read that I need to replace my brake light switches if the lights don't work. Mine work, but I have to apply quite a bit of pressure before they illuminate which seems wrong - and unsafe.

In an unrelated event/issue (i think), my driving lights don't work at all. I've checked the bulbs and fuse and they seem fine. I know these lights only work when the headlights are illuminated by design. Mine don't work at all.

Any ideas?

thanks,

JC
Old 06-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

*droid. I've replace my switches 3 times in 4-1/2 years
Old 06-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

....and check your grounds
Old 06-29-2011, 04:22 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amber lamps
*droid. I've replace my switches 3 times in 4-1/2 years
So it might still be the switches? I assumed if they were bad I would have no brake lights at all. If that's the case I'll order new switches today...

Where am I checking my grounds?
Old 06-29-2011, 04:36 PM
rgrimm
Instructor

Just had the brake switches replaced last summer (the '84). Same symptoms as yours; brake lights would work, but only if you were standing on the pedal. Much better now.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

come to think of it it may be more than a ground wire issue if they are all out.

The brake light switches I use are 201 1087
Old 06-29-2011, 05:38 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jclanin
Hi all,

I've read that I need to replace my brake light switches if the lights don't work. Mine work, but I have to apply quite a bit of pressure before they illuminate which seems wrong - and unsafe.

In an unrelated event/issue (i think), my driving lights don't work at all. I've checked the bulbs and fuse and they seem fine. I know these lights only work when the headlights are illuminated by design. Mine don't work at all.

Any ideas?

thanks,

JC
"driving lights"? Is this a modded circuit install?

Or, are we talking "fog" lamps? I make use of the fog lamps as "driving lights" and one only has to pull the light switch to the "parking" light position to engage the "fog" lamps (I think THIS is factory). Will have to look at your circuit, as to fusing and relays ,..then will report back....no Bentley, right now....

Did both go out at same time? Did they ever work?

BEST!

Doyle
Old 06-30-2011, 11:00 AM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dshepp806

Or, are we talking "fog" lamps? I make use of the fog lamps as "driving lights" and one only has to pull the light switch to the "parking" light position to engage the "fog" lamps (I think THIS is factory). Will have to look at your circuit, as to fusing and relays ,..then will report back....no Bentley, right now....

BEST!

Doyle
Hi Doyle,

Yes, fog lamps (i think of them as driving lights). They don't work at all and haven't since I've owned the car. I'm not really sure what to check since the fuse and bulbs are good...

thanks,

--JC
Old 06-30-2011, 11:28 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm heading out right now but can post the schematic later to help you with the DL issue
Old 06-30-2011, 12:13 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Brake light switches are a common "issue" with the 3.2 carreras. I've replaced mine on the old car (a 1987) a few times...
Old 06-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

I did this myself a couple months ago and took some pics along the way. The key was obtaining a 22mm deep offset wrench - then it was easy peasy.

Maybe you'll find this helpful:

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...e+light+switch
Old 06-30-2011, 03:10 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone, maybe Draco? Was doing work on adjustable brake switches. He's got a brain like a parts database, and has a nose for cross referencing stuff like that.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:16 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by rusnak
Someone, maybe Draco? Was doing work on adjustable brake switches. He's got a brain like a parts database, and has a nose for cross referencing stuff like that.
Speaking of Draco......I have something for you to look at that Jim made me a couple years ago. Must not speak . . .
Old 06-30-2011, 03:33 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dshepp806

BEST!

Doyle
I take that factory comment back. I think I frikin' forgot this was modded, long ago. CLEARLY, pin #2 (Park) has no connection to the fog lamp switch. As you stated (factory), lights would have to be on for the switch to signal front fog lamp relay to engage.

12 VDC applied via blue/white wire to fog lamp relay FROM the fog lamp switch----The relay rx's a 12 VDC feed from the fuse box panel 1---...this voltage will be switched through the relay, delivering 12 VDC OUT of the relay on the WHITE/GREEN wire. This wire will hit the fuse box 2, fuse 8/16 amper....then on to the lamps.

This is from Bentley 970-70, '86-'89. I'd start with reseating that really, as the ground must be ok to function (G104)...Secondly, I'd clean the fuse block at the fog lamp fuse and place a fresh fuse in there...........have you a voltmeter?

Best!

Doyle

Have you
Old 06-30-2011, 08:20 PM
CT Mike
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

I've got a new, never opened Bentley manual I was going to put on eBay. If you want it for $50+ shipping 5? Let me know. They are good to have. Mike

Quick Reply: Brake Lights only work with heavy pressure