Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Taking the Plunge ('89 Carrera) - and interested in your opinion(s)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 06:08 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do be quite conservative on the revs when she's cold......this is something I pay STRICT attention to,..getting her to proper temp before applying any high RPM requests.

NICE RIDE!!!!!

Doyle
Old 08-02-2011, 11:32 PM
rmcquet
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Pics - the Not So Good

So here, to keep some reality in check for a 22 yr old car, are a few of the things "wrong" with her (cosmetically, anyways, I haven't poked around the engine enough yet).

Doyle: will do, great advice!

First: my lower left valve cover.
Second: crack in the dash.
Third: cracked seat belt

Not pictured: hole in headlamp glass and the housing is scratched.
Attached Images    
Old 08-03-2011, 12:17 AM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The crack in the dash would drive me nuts. Assuming the car is safe and no major mechanical work is needed, my first fix would be the dash. Some options...

1. The horrible and justifiably maligned "dash toupee."
2. The not quite as horrible dash cap. Some people have had good luck when they take the time to really fit them.
3. Finding a good dash and swapping yours out.
4. Repairing the crack. There was a long thread on the Pelican forum a couple of years back by a guy who came up with a pretty slick method to repair his cracked dash. It wasn't perfect, but it looked pretty darn good!
5. Shipping your dash to Rob Budd at www.classic9leathershop.com and having him do his magic. His work is gorgeous!
6. Ship your dash to Just Dashes (www.justdashes.com), but be prepared for a hefty bill and a very long wait to get it back.

Have fun! Welcome to the club!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:45 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I'll be going with Robert Budd. Have swapped many emails with him and he's been very supportive.

This dash is press-fit (molded) and Budd doesn't do this. His repair will make use of stitching...I've thought long and hard on this, as I desire it to be original (deep down inside) but that frikin' dash is VERY expensive from Porsche, so practicality and budget will prevail here. His work pics look great and I feel this will be an acceptable compromise. I just hope that stitch line is perfectly horizontal, as crooked lines are despised in my world.

I've not yet looked around for a used Porsche dash for an '89.

BEST!

Doyle
Old 08-03-2011, 11:03 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 83 Posts

I will vouch for Robert Budd's workmanship. He does do good quality work. However, the stitching is something you really have to decide on in terms of what you want. My car is not a valuable collector in absolutely original condition, and I kind of like the stiching treatment. Thus, it was fine for me. As for the stitch line, it appears perfectly positioned on mine. Dealing with Robert was easy. Responsive communication and the turn-around time was quick.

A bonus for the 86 and later cars is that you will not have to remove the windshield to replace the dash cap.

Here is a picture of mine, so you can get an idea of how the stitching looks. (Also, you can choose your color for the stiching, so if you want to tone it down, you can choose a stitch color that is the same as the dash itself.)

Old 08-03-2011, 11:20 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Mine is the Silver Anniversary Edition, so I'm tentative and cautious as to the best way to "keep" her original.....this would be considered an important decision. I do plan to KEEP her! Her seats need a redo, at some point (torn driver bolster, presently covered with chaps).

I just can't believe the price on the factory (molded) dash!!!!!!!!! WTF?

Thanks for the pic 500_19B. Have you maore pics? Without question, I would want that stitching VERY much "in-hiding" with the dash color.....the stitch line in your pic looks PERFECT.....good work!!!!!!!

His pricing is quite fair, I believe!!! How about his turn-around time?

AGAIN, Robert's support and response to emails have been quite professional...I've a bunch of samples that he mailed me......good vibes.

BEST!

Doyle
Old 08-03-2011, 12:39 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 83 Posts

I do have some more pics, if you want to PM me an email I will send them over...

My original dash cap was leather-covered and very warped. Robert examined it in photos and said repair would be problematic. I sourced a better core on Pelican, and after Robert confirmed it was good enough for him to work with (again, based on photos), I had the seller send it directly to Robert who did the work exactly as we had discussed (this stitching I chose was tan BTW) and he sent the finished product to me. I can't remember exactly what the timeline was, but I think the whole thing didn't take more than two weeks.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:19 PM
rmcquet
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just spent some time browsing his website. Oohh, the money that could be spent. . . . .

I like the look of the Robert Budd dash a lot. How complicated is removing/installing the dash? The 101 Projects book says you have to remove the windshield - didn't realize that's not necessary for the later cars).

Doyle, please keep us updated on your progress w/ the dash work.

Quick Reply: Taking the Plunge ('89 Carrera) - and interested in your opinion(s)