Optima battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 08:50 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Optima Bill
Alex, I apologize for the delay in responding, but it took a few days to get an answer for your questions. Unfortunately, the information you are requesting about the charger is proprietary. Care has been taken throughout the development process to ensure our charger will increase customer satisfaction, battery performance and battery service life. Our charger is temperature-compensated and will monitor the temperature and vary both voltage and amperage as needed, so there is little risk of overcharging.

Tim, we anticipate the chargers being available by Spring. They are in production and bar any issues, that is still the target.
Thanks guys,
Bill Howell
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.

Any date they might be available. I need to purchase one before March. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Optima Bill
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alex, first, I am Bill, but I know you are used to having Jim respond so that's cool.
I am assuming (and we know what that does sometimes) but if you do work for a Defense Department, then you know that there are proper channels of communication to get the info you are seeking from Optima. With all due respect, that doesn't include public message boards. My job with Optima involves consumer applications, and I don't even have information on government contracts, much less permission to discuss them. Our charger is new technology, and I passed along the product info provided to me. I do know that from a consumer standpoint, for keeping your car battery charged it is the latest thing out there and works great.
As a follow-up on when they will be out, before March is probably too soon to look for it in stores, I am guessing mid year will probably be a better target date.
So, if we can, back to batteries and fitment in Porsches. Since we, as a company, don't list direct fitment, I would love to hear sizes others have used, in their year specific, model specific application, with pictures if possible just for my personal information I can save.
Thanks,
Bill Howell
Old 01-16-2012, 08:01 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Our charger is new technology.
Bill, do you know how many times I've read that on charger packaging, so I think you know where I'm coming from if you think I'm skeptical.

We tested a charger used by the US Defense Department which did not deliver on its promises...and it was well over a grand in price.

When your charger comes out, I'll contact the local distributor and ask for a loaner unit for a couple of months.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:00 AM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

So, if we can, back to batteries and fitment in Porsches. Since we, as a company, don't list direct fitment, I would love to hear sizes others have used, in their year specific, model specific application, with pictures if possible just for my personal information I can save.
Bill,
I'll be glad to share which model Optima I selected for my car. I just installed an Optima 35 in my 1987 Porsche 911 Carrera a couple weeks ago.

I went with the 35 based on the location of the posts. I figured I could orient it in the same relative position as the OEM battery and not stress the cables. While I know many have created their own battery tray, I found a decent installation kit on eBay from Thoroughbred Motorsports which worked well for me.

Here’s a pic. (I know I need to get that positive post covered up…)
Attached Images   
Old 02-16-2012, 08:38 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Alex, first, I am Bill, but I know you are used to having Jim respond so that's cool.
I am assuming (and we know what that does sometimes) but if you do work for a Defense Department, then you know that there are proper channels of communication to get the info you are seeking from Optima. With all due respect, that doesn't include public message boards. My job with Optima involves consumer applications, and I don't even have information on government contracts, much less permission to discuss them. Our charger is new technology, and I passed along the product info provided to me. I do know that from a consumer standpoint, for keeping your car battery charged it is the latest thing out there and works great.
As a follow-up on when they will be out, before March is probably too soon to look for it in stores, I am guessing mid year will probably be a better target date.
Thanks,
Bill Howell
Thanks for all the info Bill. I have a 34R installed - is the 34R one of the batteries that vents?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Optima Bill
AutoX

Hey Jhbennan,
Unfortunately, the 34R is not a vented battery. Our 34C is the OEM Chrysler product that came in the diesel Jeep Libertys and the only vented Group 34 we currently offer. However, I am not sure that this would work with your car, though. I would suggest buying a vented battery box to put your battery in and vent it properly.
Thanks,
Bill Howell
Old 02-27-2012, 11:34 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Jhbennan,
Unfortunately, the 34R is not a vented battery. Our 34C is the OEM Chrysler product that came in the diesel Jeep Libertys and the only vented Group 34 we currently offer. However, I am not sure that this would work with your car, though. I would suggest buying a vented battery box to put your battery in and vent it properly.
Thanks,
Bill Howell
Any update Bill with regards to a release date?
Old 03-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Optima Bill
AutoX

Tim,
I don't have anything firm yet, but expect news soon. If you follow us on Facebook, I am sure there will be an update there when it is released. I will also post here when I do have a firm release date.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:00 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Tim,
I don't have anything firm yet, but expect news soon. If you follow us on Facebook, I am sure there will be an update there when it is released. I will also post here when I do have a firm release date.
Thanks Bill. I'll pick one up when available. Let me (us) know. Thanks. Cheers!
Old 04-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Optima Bill
AutoX

Originally Posted by 911 Crazy
Thanks Bill. I'll pick one up when available. Let me (us) know. Thanks. Cheers!
I got this information over the weekend and thought about this thread.
The new battery chargers are in our distribution center and are ready for order and shipment. We will be running an ad on our Facebook page for the next six weeks to promote it.
Thanks guys.
Bill Howell
Old 04-02-2012, 01:34 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

wow we actually have a guy on here called Optima Bill ? awesome ...
Old 04-17-2014, 10:42 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

Going to pick one up today.
The only question is which one?
35/31.7 lbs. (720/910) or 34(R?)37.9 lbs. (800/1000)
Car is rated for 850/1050
Looks like people are going both ways.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:43 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

Going to pick one up today.
The only question is which one?
35/31.7 lbs. (720/910) or 34(R?)37.9 lbs. (800/1000)
Car is rated for 850/1050
Old 04-17-2014, 12:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,012 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Not that there's anything wrong with that
Old 04-17-2014, 02:46 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

Let one discharge and used a regular battery charger on a slow 2 amp setting to charge the Optima....worked fine. I also let it sit for weeks at a time and have had no issues starting my small block chevy Hot Rod.
Also have one in the SC...never an issue.
Clem is semi clueless.

Quick Reply: Optima battery