pubic safety issue: people walking up to your car window

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:47 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default pubic safety issue: people walking up to your car window

This has happened maybe three times in the past 6 months.

Sometimes, while parked, someone will approach my car window. The first time, it was just outside my office at night. Some vagrant looking guy started walking toward my car right after I got in. I had the window just starting to go down to let the hot air out. I see this guy walking toward me so I go "that's far enough!" and I tell him to not come any closer or he'll be hurt. So he leaves.

Second time, I was buying cigars at a liquor store in the middle of town. This was about a month ago. Same thing happens.

Last night, I was at a stoplight after the Super Bowl, headed back to the office to get some papers to work at home. A guy on a bike actually gets his hand on my door handle. I was in the 911. The light turned green just then, so I punch the gas and pop the clutch, and jerk the handle out of his hand.

I'm thinking that I might buy a taser and next time just let it rip. I have a few weapons, all of which could be considered lethal, so I think I might go for a non-lethel means of communicating.

What say you guys? When is it appropriate to taser someone? I see a pattern developing of people more brazenly approaching my car with me in it. As far as I'm concerned, I think if they keep approaching after I warn them, then it's probably a sign that they are up to no good.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

I've had a few vagrant types approach, and will verbally tell them to go bother someone else. More and more of them these days. The guy on the bike-that is over the line, and would warrant a taze. You'd have his prints on your handle to prove he was doing something he shouldn't.

The problem is when do you pull the trigger on whatever you are using, something every cop must do whenever they pull a weapon. When you hear about lethal force being used, and find out the suspect was unarmed or had a pellet gun or something silly, I think you always need to consider what the cop had to decide in a split second.

All the more reason to find an online retailer of really good and "hard to find in the US" cigars-no need to stop off at liquor stores to purchase stogies.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:56 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You have your doors locked right?? A taser needs your windows down and that opens up a lot of issues. Personaly, I carry a firearm so if I see a weapon and can't get away, the last thing the intruder will see is a muzzle flash. A Taurus Judge is about the best car jacker solution you can buy. If you want to get rid of vagrants, then a mace fogger is what you want.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:02 AM
masterdave
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One solution there is to electrify your door handels they are metal....

I know many people that carry pistols in there cars. I plan to do it when I turn 21, the fact of the matter is this. There are crazy people out there, in the end of the day when it comes to my own protection, safety and well being, I will do what needs to be done. I never want to be stuck in the situation where a weapon is drawn and I cant return in suit.

Regards
Dave
Old 02-07-2012, 12:16 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Ed,

I know exactly what you're saying. My CCW training is to use that as a last resort, when I know my life is in danger. I have pepper spray, but that is more for seasoning my food than putting some surly vagrant in check.

I go to this cigar store/ liquor store to peruse the selection, and to banter with the clerk there. He's a really funny guy, and he's got an awesome selction and a walk in humidor.

I think there are more and more wacked out weirdos out there, so I'm leaning more toward a non leathal taser, which I still hope never gets used.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:51 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I saw "pubic safety" I had another thing in mind! Weird stuff, fortunately has not happened to me... yet.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:14 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

There are some dangerous places in any large city, Atlanta included. Especially after dark.

But when I am out at night in the city I always have my little friend, Mr. Walther PPK, with me. Yes, I have a carry permit.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:00 PM
Caferacer
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jackb911
There are some dangerous places in any large city, Atlanta included. Especially after dark.

But when I am out at night in the city I always have my little friend, MS. Walther PPK, with me. Yes, I have a carry permit.
I fixed it for you.

Seriously, I wouldn't want to be staring down the barrel of a PPK any more than I would a 1911 and it is an elegant handgun. My own in car solution is a Spyderco Rescue Knife with a sheepsfoot point that resides in my door pocket. It is there ostensibly to cut someone out of seatbelt but is also good for slicing the wrists of hands that reach into the car. At the approach of miscreants I frequently have it in my hand ready for use but have not yet had to open it in anger.

Last edited by Caferacer; 02-07-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: adjective reduction
Old 02-07-2012, 01:17 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

So noted, but the jacketed hollowpoints do give the PPK a bit of testosterone.

OTOH, if I was going near the 'hood late night, Mr. Sig Sauer would be my trusty companion...

In this part of the country, we take our personal defense very seriously.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

My wife has her Concealed Weapons Training Class this Saturday.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Tom 97 C2-S, So. Cal.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rusnak:

Move to Clovis where everyone is packing heat. Seriously though, that town has changed, unfortunately for the worse. All the family/brothers still live there. I would say you really stand out in a Pcar more than in So. Cal, and are a bit more of a "target".

I hear that CCW's are "selling like hotcakes" in the county. You don't ever know what the other guy has, and unfortunately whatever you pull out, you may be "forced/think appropriate" to use. I would make sure it's bright and shiny. No one will stay around to find out what it is, unless on drugs.

You also did the right thing by staying in your car. Paint and Doorhandles can be replaced. No telling what goes down if you get out, and do you really want to be on the stand defending your rights under the CA Mutual Combat Law for the death of a meth head, whose family is crying telling the jury what a great kid he was?

Also, no affiliation etc, but you may try Holts & Bonita Smoke Shop for your online sticks.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:27 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Holts and Bonita, thanks I'll try it!

As an additional point, the guy who walked up to me at the liquor store came up to me in the 1-ton truck, that looks like a commercial truck, and had a lot of heavy gear on it. I had all my cold weather outdoor garb on (think Han Solo Hoth Ice Planet outerwear), and of course my peashooter Glock, which was in my hand just below the window frame....

Guys of that ilk get very upset when told very clearly that they will not get something they want.

Ccw permits are in fact being issued left and right, and it's only a matter of time before some punk gets blown away by an armed citizen, especially after the inmate releases due to budget cuts.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:47 PM
911 Crazy
SPAM addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Already signed up for my CWP in Maine. Gonna get it before O shuts it down!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Caferacer
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rusnak
Holts and Bonita, thanks I'll try it!

As an additional point, the guy who walked up to me at the liquor store came up to me in the 1-ton truck, that looks like a commercial truck, and had a lot of heavy gear on it. I had all my cold weather outdoor garb on (think Han Solo Hoth Ice Planet outerwear), and of course my peashooter Glock, which was in my hand just below the window frame.....
He probably just wanted to ask you to tell him about the bin Laden raid.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Tom 97 C2-S, So. Cal.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rusnak:

You are right on.

Before Thanksgiving, my Mom pulls out of her garage and is gone 25 mins. The 35 yr. old, multi rap sheet/multi 1 day and released meth head & girlfriend who came back to live with their folks in N. Fresno (to get back on their feet) witness Mom leaving. My Mom is robbed of ALL valuables. Girlfriend and car are missing. Police interrogate, and he can't remember girlfriends # or where she lives. Denies any wrongdoing.

Fast forward to Christmas, guess who gets caught in a stolen car with all of Mom's stuff in trunk!! Pounds of Wedding Silver will never be seen again, or given to her Grandkids. At least this one has kept him in there the last 40 days.

My bro represents the CA Correctional Officers (think Prison Guards etc). His stories are remarkable. There are truly some bad people in this world.

The gangs/gang initiation issues up there are well documented. I would fear a 15-25 yr. old coming towards me vs. some big, older, grizzly, destitute looking person.

Quick Reply: pubic safety issue: people walking up to your car window