Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Track Car Questions ( DE )

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Well, any track car will require routine maintenance, so whichever you choose, it sounds like you'll need a mechanic.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:21 PM
embacpa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

regardless of your choice (older 911 vs 996 gt3), if you get bit, you'll spend the money either way. i know when i purchase a newer gt3, i will quickly put race seats, roll bar, suspension mods, data acquisition, etc.

either way, you will have a blast.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I was going to buy a 6/GT3 when we moved back to Calif, had a deal with the wife on that, but I didn't, as I knew it would be a very expensive car for me to own, and I do my own wrenching. As stated above, there are always goodies to buy for upgrades, no matter the car.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:55 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I was going to buy a 6/GT3 when we moved back to Calif, had a deal with the wife on that, but I didn't, as I knew it would be a very expensive car for me to own, and I do my own wrenching. As stated above, there are always goodies to buy for upgrades, no matter the car.
One of the reasons that I have my car instead of a 993 or 996 or GT3 for that matter.

Originally Posted by stevek1
Wow. Thanks for all of the info. Definitely sounds like a slippery slope once you get into modifications and the need to upgrade as driving skill increases. I knew some of the older 911s at the track had some money put in them, but really had no idea it was that much.

Maybe the 996 gt3 is the right choice. I can't do my own wrenching so perhaps the 80's 911 is a poor choice for my situation.
a Boxtser S or Cayman S is a pretty good choice for out of the box speed per money. Then probably the 996/997 varients and then the GT3 (996 and 997 versions)

I overheard at the lunch table at the 48 hours one of the drivers talking emphatically about the costs of racing to one of his buddies - who put up his hand to halt the conversation and said - "which part of Porsche Racing did you think would be reasonable, The Porsche part or the racing part?"

That being said - Porsche's from my experience THRIVE being beat on. They run better when they are run hard.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:19 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by g-50cab
One of the reasons that I have my car instead of a 993 or 996 or GT3 for that matter.

a Boxtser S or Cayman S is a pretty good choice for out of the box speed per money. Then probably the 996/997 varients and then the GT3 (996 and 997 versions)

I overheard at the lunch table at the 48 hours one of the drivers talking emphatically about the costs of racing to one of his buddies - who put up his hand to halt the conversation and said - "which part of Porsche Racing did you think would be reasonable, The Porsche part or the racing part?"

That being said - Porsche's from my experience THRIVE being beat on. They run better when they are run hard.
I've spent next to zero with the faux 993RS. Fantastic construction by Steve Weiner for the previous owner, diligent maintenance thereafter.

You can money shift any of the cars we're talking about here.

Got an interesting project in the works with a couple of torsion bar chassis cars that will bring me back here more to document. While it's certainly a project that will take me back to my youth, and the car I couldn't quite build in my late teens/early 20's, I wouldn't steer a beginner in the direction of one of these purely based on perceived lack of cost. 964/993 are winners in that regard. Maybe, maybe 996 if you know what you're really buying.

I've competed with/tracked/raced 911s since I was 18. I've not had any money more often than I have had. I've certainly made due with "less" relative to the "gotta haves." I don't think I've had less enjoyment, though.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race911

Got an interesting project in the works with a couple of torsion bar chassis cars that will bring me back here more to document.
Oh, really?
Old 02-21-2012, 08:28 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Oh, really?
I think you'll approve. Stay tuned...........
Old 02-22-2012, 01:54 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As you can see from the above posts, there are endless options and opinions. I think an early 90s 964 is a great option as they are bottom dollar on the 911 market right now and represent the height of air cooleed evolution. They will make an honest 280HP with little modification, have vastly improved suspension and brakes, and respond very well to weight savings (there's a bunch of fluff to remove). They also have an awesome aftermarket and well documented factory race examples to draw on for parts. Getting an SC or Carrera to this level of performance can be very expensive with a lot of sorting to be done. I've known some awesome CIS injected (SC/3.0 based) track cars that are rock solid reliable and very quick, but I think the money that got them that way may go further and faster on a 964 in todays market.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:52 PM
mehoff
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by embacpa
Buying one already sorted for track is certainly the least expensive route to go. I bought a great condition 89 Carrera 3.2 street car for $23k. I now have $65k in it. It's really a track car now that I still drive on the street a bit, but only my kids will ride with me. I hope that gives you a sense of the build vs buy. My mechanic warned me and he was right. However, I have learned so much.

Learning to drive one of these air cooled 911's is soulful. And it is a freak'n blast once you learn how to control that rear end.
^^This. I love my '88 Carrera track car and will never give it up, but I also no longer recommend the platform to new racers. It is MUCH more fun and virile to drive and I'll always have it as a toy, but to be competitive with these things rockets you past the $50k range (that's for a Prepared class with supposedly "stock" motors!!!). And I bought my car in good condition for $10k.

You can get a very well set-up cayman or 996 track car for about 80% of that figure, which is where I'm heading for my future racer.

Buuuuuuuuuut......you'll never beat the feeling of driving a perfectly set-up Carrera. Ever.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:31 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 736 Posts

Do yourself a big favor. Get a GT3 and leave it stock save for a Roll bar and LSD.

Ask me how I know. I have a 5K mustang for sale that I put 70k into.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Do yourself a big favor. Get a GT3 and leave it stock save for a Roll bar and LSD.

Ask me how I know. I have a 5K mustang for sale that I put 70k into.
That's no solution, although one starts at a different plateau. There's always going to be something to do to the car, no matter what it is. There is also a sense of satisfaction one gets from building an air-cooled t-bar car into their own. To me, that justifies the expense.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:00 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT3 is a great choice and one I would highly recommend or a fellow R-lister (me) is offering a compelling proposition on a complete track rig race-car (boxster-s) combo........

Trust me the slope changes from slippery to downright FRICTION FREE if you get into this sport. Enjoy

Quick Reply: Track Car Questions ( DE )