Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 12:50 AM
victorltd
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What would you do?

I have an opportunity to buy a Porsche that has been sitting in an unheated Wisconsin garage for four years. It is an 86 3.2 with 53,000 one owner miles. It won't start, the gas has turned into sludge, tires are rotted, Injectors wasted and I'm guessing to brakes are **** at this point as well. I contacted someone to do a PPI and they where apposed to making any kind of evaluation on a car that won't start. I'm certainly not able to work on the car myself. Should I run like hell or take a gamble at a certain price point? What would you guys/gals suggest? This car has sat and rotted through a lot of changes in seasons and humidity.
Thanks Hugh
Old 08-25-2012, 01:36 AM
mfyoung1086
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are you trying to do with it?
Old 08-25-2012, 02:06 AM
GRINBOB
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the asking price? How is the paint/any damage to body. Salvage value for a complete car is around $7K. Sounds like a project, if you are not doing the work yourself, RUN.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:39 AM
victorltd
Rennlist Member

Body, paint and are good, paint is original, no accidents and interior is excellent. There is a mark on top of a quarter panel that looks like a bike fell over or something to that effect. I believe it would look a hell of a lot better after a serious detailing. I was thinking of making it a daily driver and just use the targa for convertible days. Maybe lower it and put on some bigger tires to create a different experience than the targa. Asking price has been thrown out the window because of it's condition. Seller thought he could just change the gas and fluids and she would fire right up. Now we both know, that ain't gonna happen. My thinking was starter, gas line, injectors, fluids, brakes and tires approximately 5K, add 5k more for the potential engine, transmission & time spent dealing with it. That leaves me with possibly another 5K of potential downside if the whole engine needs a rebuild. I don't want to insult the seller but is this a 10 or 15k flyer. If the car gets going with 5 grand It could be a great buy otherwise I'm headed into a freight train wearing a bike helmet.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:03 PM
MillenniumFalcon
Rennlist Member

I would be asking myself: "why did they stop driving this car?"

Odds are, something happened mechanically that made them park it and give up on it...and it most likely was something expensive to reair. Perhaps not... are you a gambling man?

At the very least have a cylinder leakdown and head stud torque done on it. Find a mechanic who will travel. It will be the best money you never spent, if he finds a problem and you walk away.

(ask me how I know).

Good luck to you.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:37 PM
victorltd
Rennlist Member

Wealthy owner who is absolutely not a car guy and bought it on a whim. Father bought it, drove it and then gave it to his son who let it just sit in the garage. He talked about selling it for two years because it was just sitting. I think they have a 2 mile commute to their business and it was never worth firing up the Porsche. I won't gamble in Vegas but every once in a while a gamble is interesting. Can they do a leakdown and head stud torque without the engine running?
Old 08-25-2012, 09:11 PM
froggert
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

figure out what it'd be worth as a parts car, worst case scenario. be prepared for the worst, and hope for the best.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:17 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have any pictures? Borrow the old tech from Wayne Carini to give it a once over.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally speaking, it is usually the fuel pump that packs up. Often cleaning the tank and replacing that will see a car start. A shot of WD in the plug holes, turn it over, blah, blah, blah...

IF the engine is sound, the rest of a 911 is pretty basic for a DIY project.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

It all comes down to what lies deep inside, and what you get it for. Those miles on a nice car could be north of $20k today.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:21 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Offer $5K - be willing to go up to $7K - If that won't get it = then keep looking for a running car
Old 08-26-2012, 01:34 AM
MillenniumFalcon
Rennlist Member

A leakdown check is done without the engine running, but you must be able to manually turn the crankshaft over. It also requires compressed air... might be able to do it from a portable tank, but I never tried that.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:33 PM
victorltd
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:49 PM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

If you buy a car that's not running, ALWAYS budget for the worst-case scenario. And it's easier to buy a car that is completed & running than to pour a bunch into one to get it to that point. The seller will say "Ok, we know it would be a $20K car if you put $10K into it to get it back on the road, so I'll sell it to you for $10K." Forget that! Just go buy one that's $20K and ready to go. It will almost always cost you more to fix the car than you initially plan, so basing the sale price on the repairs brought up during an inspection isn't smart.

I wouldn't touch it unless you're getting an absolute steal! There are always other cars out there & other deals to be had.

And MilleniumFalcon is right. Leakdowns are done with a non-running engine. As long as it turns over, you'll be able to determine if the pistons/rings/valves are ok.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:39 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Originally Posted by victorltd
Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted.
Just curious as to whatever happened to this car?

Quick Reply: What would you do?