Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How the heck do you get air to come out of the center vents?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 10:26 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts
Default How the heck do you get air to come out of the center vents?

Hi guys, new owner of an 84 Carrera. It's my second Porsche and first 911.

Thanks to the owner's manual and this thread, I have learned that the HVAC basically didn't work when the car was new.

For my car, here's how the three sets of controls work:
Three sliders:
Top one makes noise, and fresh air comes out the defroster vents.
Middle slider cable is bent. It does nothing but sit there and look broken.
Bottom slider feels partially broken, I don't think it does anything.

Two A/C *****:
Well, if you replace the fuse and turn the one on the right, a fan in the very front of the trunk will make a lot of noise and blow fresh air on the ground under the front bumper.
The left **** is a decoy.

Between the seats:
Lift the levers, and hot air will come out if the tiny vents on the far left and right of the car, but only if you're moving.
The **** is another decoy.

I know the A/C is broken, or at least needs a recharge. The clutch on the compressor engages, and the fan in the very front runs, but what pushes air through the middle vents? Is there yet another blower? Also apparently my engine compartment blower is toast, is it usually the blower, the switch, or the circuit that bites it?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:32 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Oh, son of a, never mind. Apparently there indeed is another fan in the super secret box behind the gas tank I didn't notice when I had the trunk all pulled apart earlier. Just didn't know the correct search term. I think I have it now:

The evaporator blower is in the smugglers box and pumps air through the center vents.

The condenser fan is in the very front of the trunk and blows onto the ground.

The fresh air blower is right below the windshield in the rear of the trunk. It blows fresh air either through the defrost vents or on your feet.

The heater blower is in the engine compartment and pumps heat to the front of the car.

So I have non-functioning heater and evaporator blowers on my car. Joy.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:11 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 229 Posts

When you do get it all fixed, it works great...I spent a little bit of time and money getting the heater and a/c working on my 88 and it is awesome.

Good luck and welcome to the 911 experience. Your life is not your own anymore...sacrifice yourself to it early and never look back! You won't regret it.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Ghosteh
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

I had to laugh, because I'm still trying to figure out how to operate all the levers & fans that make up the heat/AC system! I finally got my A/C to work last weekend (and of course we're now getting into the cooler months).

Crazy idea, but someone needs to make a tutorial video on the controls & post it on YouTube!
The following users liked this post:
ezrajones (09-17-2020)
Old 10-03-2012, 11:07 PM
syzygy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should also have two blowers, one in each of the footwells that will blow hot air when the heat is on.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

The blower below the windshield is the one that gets all "orangey" when it catches fire. Everyone should carry an extinguisher.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:13 AM
RShepHorse
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This showed up in a post 4 years ago, it only gets funnier with time:

Come on, tell him the truth:

Q: I just bought a Pooschey 911 and can't figure out how to make the heater work -- or the fresh air either. Can you help me?

A: Sure, I can help you. The ventilation system requires that you operate 4 levers to make it work. 3 of the levers are on the dash, and the other is between the seats on newer Pooscheys there are 2 levers between the seats).

The top lever on the dash actually does several different things (remember, it is a fiendish German device, just like the rest of the car). Pushing it to the middle opens the dust ports leading to the windshield (see below for operation of fogging machine and oil mist spray device). Pushing it to the right past the middle also activates the rattling noise-maker device. There are three loudness levels to choose from. Pushing the lever all the way to the left is used to jam the cable so unauthorized personnel cannot operate any of the devices above. The lever also enables the automatic heat exchanger signalling device -- when opening it spews rust particles on the windshield, you should replace the heat exchangers. Also, if opening it causes you to immediately turn blue or purple (not just hair, but skin color) and become unconscious, you (or your estate) should definitely replace the heat exchangers.

The second lever from the top controls the lights on the White House Xmas tree. Move it to the middle to turn on the lights, and all the way to the right to fire 4500 Megatons of Nukes at Iraq.

The bottom lever on the dash is used to replace the windshield when it becomes scratched or pitted with rock chips. It also determines how much hot air goes to your feet as opposed to your head. For example, let's say the engine is completely warmed up and the hot air is burning your feet. If it's a cold day, you can flip the lever to the other side and shoot hot air onto the windshield so it cracks and shatters. Then call your insurance company (you do have insurance, don't you?)

The lever between the seats controls the oil mist spray device. When the engine is warmed up, this lever allows you to blow oil mist into the passenger cabin. Using the top dash lever lets you select whether you want the oil mist to coat the inside of the windshield or to just circulate around your feet. On a newer Pooschey, you have 2 levers on the floor between the seats. The left hand lever lets you open the left side vents which are aimed so they burn the feet of the person in the right hand seat, and the right hand lever lets you open the right side vents which are aimed so they burn the feet of the person in the left hand seat. Of course, each lever will also burn just the tops of the feet of the person in the other seat. If you are driving in the rain (or even stopped in the rain after the car has broken down), these levers also let you spray a fog of water vapor on the windshield, so no one can see in or out of the car -- sort of like privacy glass.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:16 AM
RShepHorse
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

great info here for troubleshooting: http://members.rennlist.com/imcarthur/911autoheat.htm

Quick Reply: How the heck do you get air to come out of the center vents?